Jump to content
Jarval

Raider preview - The Weight of the Empire

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

10 isn't far fetched, but to necessitate another entire dial, you've gotta figure for at least twenty. I've never seen a dial with only two digits on it before. FFG has already done dials of 0-19 in Imperial Assault and other games. If they intended to go up that high, why not repeat that instead of creating more components and a wonky dial system?

Perhaps they felt that going double digits on a single dial made the thing too difficult to read at a size consistent with the plastic maneuver dial axles. The thing seems to me to not be at all a wonky dial but simple adaptation of components they are already tooled to make. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Perhaps they felt that going double digits on a single dial made the thing too difficult to read at a size consistent with the plastic maneuver dial axles. The thing seems to me to not be at all a wonky dial but simple adaptation of components they are already tooled to make. 

I mean it’s kind of pointless to argue about as we have no idea, but the aforementioned Imperial Assault threat dial uses the exact same axles and works just fine for 0-19. That said, the numbers are a tad small so maybe?

Still seems weird to make a whole dial just to hold a zero and maybe an occasional one, just in case they ever make something that much bigger than the Raider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I mean it’s kind of pointless to argue about as we have no idea, but the aforementioned Imperial Assault threat dial uses the exact same axles and works just fine for 0-19. That said, the numbers are a tad small so maybe?

Still seems weird to make a whole dial just to hold a zero and maybe an occasional one, just in case they ever make something that much bigger than the Raider.

As a counterpoint, the Imperial Assault dial also takes great pains to show that the dials are separate from one another by offsetting them, making them different colors, and adding the Threat icon next to the Threat dial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

The ships have an energy rating, so I would assume that there are upgrades which require spending energy to use, I would bet that Hardpoints are Attack: 2 energy or whatever.

Yeah I expect that, but I'm glad that it looks like you don't have to manage energy pools like you did before - the timing on energy gain/assignment/spending made it really clunky to manage upgrade interactions in 1.0.

Edited by Transmogrifier
added quote for clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Still seems weird to make a whole dial just to hold a zero and maybe an occasional one, just in case they ever make something that much bigger than the Raider.

This isn't a bad point though. Seriously, we're all just guessing based on observations from a tiny picture. Of course that means people can be wrong.

 

Not me, of course. My opinion is the correct one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Transmogrifier said:

It doesn't look like there are energy tokens in the spreads - perhaps this is a sign that the energy rules have been streamlined so you don't have to pre-allocate energy? In the exposed hardpoint upgrade for the CR-90 spread there doesn't seem to be an energy capacity either - looks like just attack power/arc/range info and what appears to be a rotate action.

That would be pretty interesting and make the huge ship resource management a lot easier. Cap of X energy and you can spend Y energy to perform an attack with a hardpoint equipped. Maybe that’s how they work around bonus attack limits to — a huge ship limited to a single bonus attack across all weapons is sad, but one limited to a single bonus attack AND a once per opportunity for any energy depleting hardpoints would probably be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

That would be pretty interesting and make the huge ship resource management a lot easier. Cap of X energy and you can spend Y energy to perform an attack with a hardpoint equipped. Maybe that’s how they work around bonus attack limits to — a huge ship limited to a single bonus attack across all weapons is sad, but one limited to a single bonus attack AND a once per opportunity for any energy depleting hardpoints would probably be fine.

That seems likely - you can see two separate bold "Bonus Attack" lines on the "Ordnance Tubes" upgrade in this spread as well as text on the card mentioning "bonus attacks" (emphasis on the plural).

swz53_spread.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 10:58 AM, LagJanson said:

Well... they're going to be tough ships that feel like warships now. It's a lot simpler on the energy management and shields... but oh boy, that's a lot of health to chew through!!!

Better bring all four of my B-Wings and Auzitucks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Transmogrifier said:

It doesn't look like there are energy tokens in the spreads - perhaps this is a sign that the energy rules have been streamlined so you don't have to pre-allocate energy?

It's possible, they're streamlining it by using charge tokens for energy distributed to hardpoint weapons?
Would make sense right? Spend 1 energy to add one charge to this weapon sort of thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wintercross said:

It's possible, they're streamlining it by using charge tokens for energy distributed to hardpoint weapons?
Would make sense right? Spend 1 energy to add one charge to this weapon sort of thing?

Why add an extra step versus just 'spend energy to attack with this weapon'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

The one semi-competent officer in the entire First Order.

Possibly because he’s the only one old enough to have been an Imperial Officer during the fall of the Empire, and thus would have had professional training. As opposed to these youngins who have never fought in war and have no clue how to do it when all they’ve done is attack unarmed villages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, rawbean said:

Why add an extra step versus just 'spend energy to attack with this weapon'?

keeps the system similar to the old way it worked just using the charge tokens for uniformity with 2nd.
Plus keep in mind ordnance uses charge, so this way you can still use ordnance and effectively 'reload' it via energy to charge.
In first edition the missile hardpoints were just 'don't discard' this way you use energy for reloading ordnance without having to have new cards.

Edited by Wintercross

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2019 at 11:19 AM, JJ48 said:

Do we have reason to believe they're particularly interested in keeping things similar to the old way?

How do you expect huge ships to replenish ordnance?

It makes sense for them to convert energy into weapon charge.

Also explains why they ditched the energy tokens but are putting charge tokens in the huge ship packs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wintercross said:

How do you expect huge ships to replenish ordnance?

It makes sense for them to convert energy into weapon charge.

Also explains why they ditched the energy tokens but are putting charge tokens in the huge ship packs.

Personally, I kind of expect weapons to just have an energy cost.  Spend 2 from the supply on the dial to fire, etc.  Seems a whole lot simpler than the two-step process from 1e.

As to charge tokens, there's potentially any number of upgrades which require charges, just in the common way of everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

They're releasing a conversion kit that covers all 5 of the 1.0 huge ships. 

Ah, thank you!

Trying to decide whether to buy a 1.0 Raider for $70, which comes with the Tie Advanced, or wait for the 2.0, which appears to not come with a Tie Advanced? 

Edited by Mountain Dewback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...