Jarval

Raider preview - The Weight of the Empire

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

I'd guess that it's future proofing. The Raider is at 8 shields, if FFG produces something better shielded... 

Then the right dial goes up to 12? Or maybe even 15? Still doesn't necessitate an extra dial just to hold a 1 and a 0, and I definitely don't see anything going above 19. Kind of tired of belaboring this point so I guess I'll just give it up here.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

21 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

I'd guess that it's future proofing. The Raider is at 8 shields, if FFG produces something better shielded... 

Well, amongst the cards in the expansion, you have:

• 4 Cargo Upgrade Cards:
    • 1 Adaptive Shields
    • 1 Boosted Scanners
    • 1 Optimized Power Core
    • 1 Tibanna Reserves
  • 4 Title Upgrade Cards:
    • Assailer
    • Corvus
    • Impetuous
    • Instigator

Adaptive shields or some of the titles could potentially crank those shields all the way to 10?

6 minutes ago, dotswarlock said:

Well, amongst the cards in the expansion, you have:

• 4 Cargo Upgrade Cards:
    • 1 Adaptive Shields
    • 1 Boosted Scanners
    • 1 Optimized Power Core
    • 1 Tibanna Reserves
  • 4 Title Upgrade Cards:
    • Assailer
    • Corvus
    • Impetuous
    • Instigator

Adaptive shields or some of the titles could potentially crank those shields all the way to 10?

Or maybe adaptive shields and Tibanna Reserves allow you to put shields and/or energy into your reserve dial?

1 hour ago, PanchoX1 said:

Cool stuff. But I wonder why they dropped this article before any wave 5 previews.

Because in product distribution, we're already well inside the "OMG Christmas is coming" window for product releases. Anything that's dropping in Q4 2019 better start getting hyped right now to ensure it has a strong sales presence for the seasonal buying frenzy.

Or, just because.

Your choice.

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

Eh, not really.  Less shielding = quicker to criticals.  And since it looks like there will not longer be "Crippled Side" cards, I'm betting crits still suck a lot for huge ships.

I'm betting you can move shields and energy to each half of the ship independently.  Obvious what that means for shields; not so much for energy.

Or, regen 2 = 1 per side.  And you will be using them independently based on side.

Sad monkey that the ship was not reissued in FO livery.

C'mon FFG, give the Empire a kriffing* repaint!!!!!

*https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kriff

I love that you said, "kriff." That's karking fantastic!

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kark

6 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

<facepalm>

Hey, you tried!

Has anyone already suggested that the double dials device has 2 sets of dials for each quantity because it's generic to all the huge ships?

You set the right hand side set of dials to the maximum allowed value for that ship, whilst the left hand side ones show the current values? Maybe. And maybe not, but it makes sense to me.

21 minutes ago, Gilarius said:

Has anyone already suggested that the double dials device has 2 sets of dials for each quantity because it's generic to all the huge ships?

You set the right hand side set of dials to the maximum allowed value for that ship, whilst the left hand side ones show the current values? Maybe. And maybe not, but it makes sense to me.

its for tens and ones, surely?

1 hour ago, Gilarius said:

I wondered if this might be the case as well, but then why bother? The maximum value is printed on the card. Perhaps there are things that increase or decrease allowed maximums?

1 hour ago, svelok said:

its for tens and ones, surely?

Do you think we will ever see tens of shields on a ship that's regenning two per turn? Or tens of energy on any ship when the raider has a cap of 6? At any rate I desperately hope not. Surely it's for something else.

5 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Do you think we will ever see tens of shields on a ship that's regenning two per turn? Or tens of energy on any ship when the raider has a cap of 6? At any rate I desperately hope not. Surely it's for something else.

The Raider already has 8... is 10 so far fetched?

6 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I wondered if this might be the case as well, but then why bother? The maximum value is printed on the card. Perhaps there are things that increase or decrease allowed maximums?

Is every Huge ship guaranteed to have 2 shield per turn regen? I think you may be assuming more than you should be.

19 minutes ago, svelok said:

The Raider already has 8... is 10 so far fetched?

10 isn't far fetched, but to necessitate another entire dial, you've gotta figure for at least twenty. I've never seen a dial with only two digits on it before. FFG has already done dials of 0-19 in Imperial Assault and other games. If they intended to go up that high, why not repeat that instead of creating more components and a wonky dial system? The only reason I could imagine is if they had at least 3 digits on the first dial, which means going all the way up to 20+, and that would be pretty drastic.

The dials must mean something else. I don't know what yet, but I can't convince myself that it's a two-digit dial when all we've seen (on the largest ships ever released) are one-digit numbers.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

The dials must mean something else. I don't know what yet, but I can't convince myself that it's a two-digit dial when all we've seen (on the largest ships ever released) are one-digit numbers.

You're reading far to much into this.

There's zero reason whatsoever to presume all this.  It reminds me of the nonsense some folks were speculating about how Purple actions would work.

Hypothesis should not be needlessly multiplied.

Edited by theBitterFig

3 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

you may be assuming more than you should be.

This should be the tagline of the game.

-----

Another thought occurs to me:  When Armada got the Super Star Destroyer expansion, there were versions of the ship that could be played under normal tournament rules, and more powerful versions that were too expensive, and required non-tournament setups.  Just because 20 or more shields may seem a bit extreme for standard games doesn't mean there couldn't be some missions or something that make sense with more.

2 hours ago, JJ48 said:

-----

Another thought occurs to me:  When Armada got the Super Star Destroyer expansion, there were versions of the ship that could be played under normal tournament rules, and more powerful versions that were too expensive, and required non-tournament setups.  Just because 20 or more shields may seem a bit extreme for standard games doesn't mean there couldn't be some missions or something that make sense with more.

Fair. I'm probably assuming too much. We'll see how it shakes out.

8 hours ago, JJ48 said:

-----

That is true.  After all, if the epic multiplayer thing does reach all the way to 8 players then who is to say that shields are not multiplied under those circumstances?  After all, if 2 players focus fire on a huge ship, it would go down in flames instantly... unless if there were special rules that came into play for such a scenario.

So, instead of debating the resource tracker and what it means, I’d just like to say how happy I am I don’t need dozens of tokens that can get lost or shuffled around to manage my huge ships :) I think that’s a huge win from FFG for 2.0.

I imagine we will still have some energy tokens, after all if the mechanic is still a thing you have to have a reason to spend them so I would imagine huge ship hardpoints need them to fire. But that’s less tokens than all that plus all the stuff on the ship card.

2 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

So, instead of debating the resource tracker and what it means, I’d just like to say how happy I am I don’t need dozens of tokens that can get lost or shuffled around to manage my huge ships :) I think that’s a huge win from FFG for 2.0.

I imagine we will still have some energy tokens, after all if the mechanic is still a thing you have to have a reason to spend them so I would imagine huge ship hardpoints need them to fire. But that’s less tokens than all that plus all the stuff on the ship card.

I'm sure energy are like the force now, it's all one big pool, hence the tracker. 

As much as I REALLY love that tracker, I'm kinda sad I have no need for those pretty acrylic tokens I got left over from 1E.

It doesn't look like there are energy tokens in the spreads - perhaps this is a sign that the energy rules have been streamlined so you don't have to pre-allocate energy? In the exposed hardpoint upgrade for the CR-90 spread there doesn't seem to be an energy capacity either - looks like just attack power/arc/range info and what appears to be a rotate action.

swz55_spread.png

swz56_spread.png