Jarval

Raider preview - The Weight of the Empire

2 minutes ago, dotswarlock said:

Keep in mind that the Old Raider had a total hull value of 16 hull and 10 shields, with a section line that often forced an opponent to do some split firing on both sections, or having 1 section crippled and the other innaccessible.  Also the old Raider had the reinforce action that stripped off 1 damage, no matter what, so it could be a though beast to take down.  While 8 shields and 20 hull seems like a lot, a concentrated burst of firepower will melt through it rather quickly.

The new Radier will truly shine, however, if it reaches the end game against a weakened force.  With 2 shield regen per turn (something that a backup shield generator would do) and no energy drain on its weapons because of its desire for survival (like using a recover action), then that Raider will be able to attack constantly and be hard to take down.  This will be very interesting :)

Oh, hey. Not complaining and I’m well aware how it can melt.

Auto Regen for two every turn is something special though 

1 minute ago, PaulRuddSays said:

I don’t see what the point of giving this calculate... are we expecting that it might get multiple attacks? With zero agility wouldn’t you just prefer to focus anyway? 

It WILL get multiple attacks.  There is the main weapon to fire and then all the secondary weapons.  Remember that it will get to use Cannons and Turrets.  It will fire main gun (4 dice), any hard points it has (probably ordnance), and then all the Cannons and Turrets it has.

Plasma Torpedoes seem even better vs. huge ships.  2 free regen a turn is great!  Not crazy powerful, but nice.

1 minute ago, heychadwick said:

It WILL get multiple attacks.  There is the main weapon to fire and then all the secondary weapons.  Remember that it will get to use Cannons and Turrets.  It will fire main gun (4 dice), any hard points it has (probably ordnance), and then all the Cannons and Turrets it has.

Plasma Torpedoes seem even better vs. huge ships.  2 free regen a turn is great!  Not crazy powerful, but nice.

Not only will it get be able to do multiple attacks with hardpoints, but this title could potentially allow you to have two calculate tokens with a focus. That sounds pretty handy when making multiple attacks.

Love the bullseye arc usage on it. You probably aren't going to catch many smaller ships in it, but immobile large ships and other epic ships will have to watch out for the concentrated firepower of that 5-die primary attack.

7 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

I don’t see what the point of giving this calculate... are we expecting that it might get multiple attacks? With zero agility wouldn’t you just prefer to focus anyway?

You can't focus twice (unless huge ships are all that different). You can focus and double-calculate.

Really you buy the title for the docking. Double-calc is just an added bonus. Plus there are calculate-only abilities in some factions already. Who knows if the Empire might get one in the future?

1 hour ago, Giledhil said:

Nice things to notice here : 

- Epic ships will be tough ! 20 Hull / 8 Shield with 2 Regen/turn ?
- 2 actions !!
- 2 different initiative values (Move and Fire, I guess)

Hype level to maximum !

Fun fact with reinforce this monster will take roughly 20 3 dice focus shots to kill. 

27 minutes ago, battlestarbill said:

Fun fact with reinforce this monster will take roughly 20 3 dice focus shots to kill. 

12 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Good thing Heavy Laser Cannon is now dirt-cheap?

Still 14 attacks, tho. :D

Are you accounting for two shield per turn regen? Because that seems good. 

2 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

Are you accounting for two shield per turn regen? Because that seems good. 

Nope, that’s not Taking regen into account. Still to early to figure all that math out lol

25 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

Cool stuff. But I wonder why they dropped this article before any wave 5 previews.

They have allot more Huge ship and Epic content to cover and there are only 2 ships coming out Wave 5 that have anything really new (Republic Y-Wing and Sep Nantex) in their expansions. The other Wave 5 ships all have their contents on their respective product pages.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PaulRuddSays said:

Uh... 16 + 10 = 26, and 20 + 8 = 28. They’re chonkier in second edition, right? 

Eh, not really.  Less shielding = quicker to criticals.  And since it looks like there will not longer be "Crippled Side" cards, I'm betting crits still suck a lot for huge ships.

2 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Still quite curious what the "rotate" token does (especially now that we have a name for it).

I'm betting you can move shields and energy to each half of the ship independently.  Obvious what that means for shields; not so much for energy.

Or, regen 2 = 1 per side.  And you will be using them independently based on side.

Sad monkey that the ship was not reissued in FO livery.

C'mon FFG, give the Empire a kriffing* repaint!!!!!

*https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kriff

Edited by Darth Meanie

4 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Eh, not really.  Less shielding = quicker to criticals.  And since it looks like there will not longer be "Crippled Side" cards, I'm betting crits still suck a lot for huge ships.

I'm betting you can move shields and energy to each half of the ship independently.  Obvious what that means for shields; not so much for energy.

Or, regen 2 = 1 per side.  And you will be using them independently based on side.

It doesn’t appear that huge ships have different halves anymore 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Caduceus01 said:

It doesn’t appear that huge ships have different halves anymore 

Not as cards.  But that shield/energy dial doo-hikky on the right probably gives them fore and aft functionality:

swz54_sample.png

Edited by Darth Meanie

2 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Not as cards.  But that shield/energy dial doo-hikky on the right probably gives them fore and aft functionality:

swz54_sample.png

That just looks like a counter to keep track so you don’t have a billion tokens on the card. 

Just now, Darth Meanie said:

swz54_sample.png

I thought this before as well but now I doubt it. Now I'm sure what the left side does though. My top-level guess is that in the system phase, first you move any energy/shields from the left side to the right side, then afterward you can spend any number of energy/shields on the right side to put the same number of energy/shields on the left side. So you can use each as the other, but you have to go a full round in between.

Also these ships now have red maneuvers. At a guess, I'm supposing that any red token causes the ship to lose an energy and then discard the red token, including ion, strain, stress, or deplete (probably not lock though). Perhaps, by the same token, a blue maneuver allows the ship to recover an energy. It could theoretically recover 5 health per turn this way, which is a terrifying thought when coupled with reinforce, but any means of dealing red tokens shut down present and future health...

I'm not sure. Maybe each energy/shield gives half the number, or one less than spent. Who really knows anyway?

6 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

I'd guess that it's future proofing. The Raider is at 8 shields, if FFG produces something better shielded... 

Just like Armada.  Shield dials that go up to 6 and there were no ships with 6 shields when the game released.