Jarval

Raider preview - The Weight of the Empire

16 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Ozzel will be nice for 5-straights or 1-turns on a decimator!

Still quite curious what the "rotate" token does (especially now that we have a name for it).

It doesn't look like Decis can equip ozzel. He takes up both a crew and some other weird slot (probably exclusive to Epic)

Only Imperial or First Order builds? From what I can remember from the only canonical appearance that I can think of (EA's Star Wars: Battlefront II) shouldn't there be a Rebel or Resistance build? Or are they saving that for a different model, because the Corvus was modified midway through the story....

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

It doesn't look like Decis can equip ozzel. He takes up both a crew and some other weird slot (probably exclusive to Epic)

Doesn't have to. It applies to all friendly large or huge ships at R0-3, so the Raider can carry him and then the Decimator can still use him! :)

The upgrade slot is called "Command." There are probably rules in the Epic Battles scenarios for how many "Command" slots a squad can have. So far all commanders and all Wing Leaders require a command slot. Hoping that Thrawn doesn't whenever he comes out becuase I want to field him in small games as well.

Also of note: I don't think there's anything new in Epic Battles or Huge Ships that can be used in standard play, because all known new cards are either specific to huge ships or require command slots. This is a good move on FFG's part to avoid putting a paywall between standard players uninterested in epic and new material they might want.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

But he can effect them as it is large-huge ships at range 0-3

Edited by InterceptorMad

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DoubleOdd said:

Only Imperial or First Order builds? From what I can remember from the only canonical appearance that I can think of (EA's Star Wars: Battlefront II) shouldn't there be a Rebel or Resistance build? Or are they saving that for a different model, because the Corvus was modified midway through the story....

Ew yuck please never. The rebel scum already stole our TIE fighter and one of our best ISB agents. What more do they need to take from us before they'll be happy? Certainly not the pride and joy of the Imperial Fleet?

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

The 180 arc is likely going to force you into taking ordnance or other weaponry to cover the large aft blind spot.

I would assume that's what the "Turbolaser Battery" is for on the quick build card. I may be wrong, but I suspect that's a turret hardpoint.

Edited by Freeptop

21 minutes ago, DoubleOdd said:

Sabine's Raider. 

They also got a mention in one of the Thrawn novels. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Well... they're going to be tough ships that feel like warships now. It's a lot simpler on the energy management and shields... but oh boy, that's a lot of health to chew through!!!

In 1.0, the Raider had 8/6 Fore, and 8/4 Aft, so the total amount was 16 Hull, 10 Shields. This version is 20 Hull, 8 Shields, which is slightly more, but with the usual 2.0 policy of moving some shields to hull.

That said, combining them is a bit significant, since it requires chewing through the total number of shields, and the shield auto-recover (x2!) is going to make a big difference in how hard they are to kill. For that matter, 2x actions makes it pretty easy to both focus and reinforce, if desired...

I'm really curious to see how energy works with these things now... given everything else, I'm pretty much assuming that energy will allow additional attacks per turn, at the very least.

Edited by Freeptop
I can't do math today, apparently...

3 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Well... they're going to be tough ships that feel like warships now. It's a lot simpler on the energy management and shields... but oh boy, that's a lot of health to chew through!!!

Keep in mind that the Old Raider had a total hull value of 16 hull and 10 shields, with a section line that often forced an opponent to do some split firing on both sections, or having 1 section crippled and the other innaccessible.  Also the old Raider had the reinforce action that stripped off 1 damage, no matter what, so it could be a though beast to take down.  While 8 shields and 20 hull seems like a lot, a concentrated burst of firepower will melt through it rather quickly.

The new Radier will truly shine, however, if it reaches the end game against a weakened force.  With 2 shield regen per turn (something that a backup shield generator would do) and no energy drain on its weapons because of its desire for survival (like using a recover action), then that Raider will be able to attack constantly and be hard to take down.  This will be very interesting :)

I don’t see what the point of giving this calculate... are we expecting that it might get multiple attacks? With zero agility wouldn’t you just prefer to focus anyway? 

Overall Super Hyped. Will buy at release. I’ve wanted this model for a long time and couldn’t find them in stores for ages. 

2 minutes ago, Freeptop said:

In 1.0, the Raider had 8/6 Fore, and 8/4 Aft, so the total amount was 16 Hull, 10 Shields. This version is 20 Hull, 8 Shields, which is technically the same total, with the usual 2.0 policy of moving some shields to hull.

Uh... 16 + 10 = 26, and 20 + 8 = 28. They’re chonkier in second edition, right?