Sign in to follow this  
gadwag

Fireball Is Fun

Can I just say I love the thematics of coming into battle with a damage card? This ship is literally always a little bit broken. You basically can't have it in perfect condition; every time they fix one thing, another thing breaks. So when you finally take it out for a spin, theres... probably still something wrong in there. What is it? No one really knows until you push it just a little too hard...

Best thematic ship ability in the whole game so far.

Also Krennic, Rexler, and Thane are going to have a field day with this: "Oh, you already have a damage card for me to flip? Thank you very much! Now you can't SLAM without disarming yourself!"

And I can see Inferno Squad drooling...

But now we have something else: deciding to take a disadvantage to try and gain an advantage.

Not to split hairs, but there's like a bajillion abilities like that already in the game. Pretty much any ability that gives you stress, strain, disarm or ion tokens (do I have to name them all?), require you to take a specific suboptimal action or maneuver to use them and multiple abilities that deal damage or flip damage on their user. Sorry. Ship looks... OK. Hopefully it's super cheap because it's going to blow up very fast.

6 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Not to split hairs, but there's like a bajillion abilities like that already in the game. Pretty much any ability that gives you stress, strain, disarm or ion tokens (do I have to name them all?), require you to take a specific suboptimal action or maneuver to use them and multiple abilities that deal damage or flip damage on their user. Sorry.

Fair point. In many cases, these abilities are almost entirely mitigated at squad-building time, so a lot of them don't hurt much when you use them in the game. For example, putting R2 astromechs on Jedi (who spend turns running away not shooting) or taking stress on an a-wing (which has an incredibly blue dial) don't hurt much.

Novice technician springs to mind, but it's fixing a crit with 3/8 chance of exposing a crit. That's just gambling that the repair holds, rather than deliberately blowing up a piece of your ship to use a gun or whatever.

You're right though, abilities like 4-lom and so on already force you to make tough decisions in the game - and these are good and fun upgrades! I guess I could update my post to say I'm excited to see more of this kind of thing in the game. The negative effects of the fireball are also more permanent than a lot of similar effects that are already in the game.

8 hours ago, Punning Pundit said:
On 8/6/2019 at 9:10 PM, Darth Meanie said:

However, I would argue that "Fireball" should have gotten a DOT.  

Depending on the crit, it might well start with Damage Over Time.

Legit how I read that the first time XD

So, aside from the “hey this seems fun because I like the show and this has that feel” argument, what is this ship trying to do? Odd flanker that may pull something off at the risk of exploding?

How often do you really want to expose a damage card? I’m not exactly sure that this is going to be something you take unless you’re just building a funsy list (not that there is anything wrong with that - remember my big hype right now is epic 2.0 and those environment cards coming in the packs). It’s a slamming torrent that may explode at any moment. The torrents aren’t really great until you can get a bunch of them together, and this doesn’t feel like a spam ship to me.

At first I was “well, hey it’s a new ship for a faction I own. Autobuy” but I’m starting to have second thoughts. I’m way more excited at the prospect of two copies of the FO Interceptor than one of each.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

I’m not exactly sure that this is going to be something you take unless you’re just building a funsy list (not that there is anything wrong with that - remember my big hype right now is epic 2.0 and those environment cards coming in the packs). It’s a slamming torrent that may explode at any moment. The torrents aren’t really great until you can get a bunch of them together, and this doesn’t feel like a spam ship to me.

At first I was “well, hey it’s a new ship for a faction I own. Autobuy” but I’m starting to have second thoughts. I’m way more excited at the prospect of two copies of the FO Interceptor than one of each.

I'll give FFG kudos for trying out something fun, and that means it is worth the price of admission for me, so I'm definitely in for one.  I'll agree it doesn't seems spammable for mechanical reasons, but I guess I never would do it for thematic ones as well. 

I'll probably only get one TIE/ba for the same reason--it's supposed to be a prototype.  Of course, I said that about the TAP and then flew units of it all the time.  OTOH, that was cuz TIEs (save Defender} sucked in 1.0, and I'm going more Light Side guys for 2.0.

Edited by Darth Meanie

2 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

So, aside from the “hey this seems fun because I like the show and this has that feel” argument, what is this ship trying to do? Odd flanker that may pull something off at the risk of exploding?

How often do you really want to expose a damage card? I’m not exactly sure that this is going to be something you take unless you’re just building a funsy list (not that there is anything wrong with that - remember my big hype right now is epic 2.0 and those environment cards coming in the packs). It’s a slamming torrent that may explode at any moment. The torrents aren’t really great until you can get a bunch of them together, and this doesn’t feel like a spam ship to me.

I don't know if I'll get the Fireball, as I don't play Resistance much at all but I have the other ships...but I will definitely be getting two TIE/ba.

4 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I'll probably only get one TIE/ba for the same reason--it's supposed to be a prototype.  Of course, I said that about the TAP and then flew units of it all the time. 

That's perfectly justified though; there were plenty of inquisitors going around that all had the TIE/v1.

For myself, I don't play Resistance anyway. I had been getting some FOMO with some recent releases and the last points adjustment, but the Fireball is a pretty easy pass from me. I'm happy to continue sitting it out. Vonreg's TIE/ba is too cool and I feel like I'm finally being rewarded for my choice of FO over Resistance (they've always had the short end of the stick before).

12 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

I think that's pretty much it.

Kazuo looks like the most useful pilot to me - to me he feels like a budget ace similar to Ric Olie (obviously a bit less powerful, but also cheaper).

16 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

For myself, I don't play Resistance anyway. I had been getting some FOMO with some recent releases and the last points adjustment, but the Fireball is a pretty easy pass from me. I'm happy to continue sitting it out. Vonreg's TIE/ba is too cool and I feel like I'm finally being rewarded for my choice of FO over Resistance (they've always had the short end of the stick before).

I let it get to me with original RZ-2 prices and wound up (re)buying resistance at that point. I had done the same “pick FO over them” and failed to stay on it.... but at least I have a crazy FO collection ready for epic play!

And yes, it feels like FO finally got the better blister pack. Unless they points it badly to punish FO for being FO.

3 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

And yes, it feels like FO finally got the better blister pack. Unless they points it badly to punish FO for being FO.

Yeah it definitely feels that way which is fine the fireball shouldn't be a meta monster.   It looks like a fun fluffy ship and it will be good for the faction.

The TIE/ba is awesome looking and the FO needs it.  Even if the ship isn't priced well its still our first new ship in over a year.