Jump to content
bwingstrike

New Unit Upgrade Packs!

Recommended Posts

This was quire literally announced at the perfect time for me. I have 3d printed heads due to be delivered this afternoon and 2 rebel units waiting for sculpting. Will need a slight re-think now on what to use. 

Loving all the units

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

I like them, but it's making me regret my basing strategy. I base my squads with common bases, but differing between squads, so it's easy to tell the squads apart on the table, but means the whole army has a variety of base finishes. Makes it hard to mix & match ... now I get an expansion that encourages mixing and matching.

First world problems.

I plan to do the same, but ALL special weapons guys will get neutral-colored bases. In this way, I can put them in any squadron without problem (it'll also make me avoid killing them before normal dudes!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I like that droid E-5s even if it might mess with AI attack but I really wanna know how many dice the radiation gun gets. It's like the droid version of Ion. take that meatbags. 

Edited by Lucasw42
cause i meant meatbags!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the packs come with 2 heavy weapons and 2 regular corps upgrades. My question is, do you have to use the corresponding models to use the upgrades? For example, from what we can see the gran and ish-tib cards say "Rebel trooper", with the rest of the text saying to add a rebel trooper model and with some more extra rules added on that are hidden.

The Ish-tib's card specifically says that it must be the unit leader, so I think you have to use his model, but what about the gran? Could you just add a regular rebel trooper since it matches what the card says and use the rules on the card? It would help in games where the gran might die and your opponent could say "you lost your exta soldier, now you can't use the text on his card"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Omegaclone said:

I’m planning on doing what you guy described with my bases for each squad. Did you have an overall theme like forest, use rocks for one squad and the logs for another? Or are they completely unique for each squad mixing several themes?

For my Specialist I based them on the FFG premium bases. 

For the new packs matching  one to each squad would work unless you use them by themselves. Multiples it may need to be. 

I base everything for Legion in Howard Hues Geohex Desert. It's a very light yellow. It looks better on snow than green would, looks better on an Endor table than snow would, etc. etc. and it matches the most extensive scenery layout I own. Legion got me so nostalgic for ye olde D6 that I went out and got a Geo Hex desert starter set, rough hills set, and flocked mat. Just like in the photos from the rulebook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gothound said:

So the packs come with 2 heavy weapons and 2 regular corps upgrades. My question is, do you have to use the corresponding models to use the upgrades? For example, from what we can see the gran and ish-tib cards say "Rebel trooper", with the rest of the text saying to add a rebel trooper model and with some more extra rules added on that are hidden.

The Ish-tib's card specifically says that it must be the unit leader, so I think you have to use his model, but what about the gran? Could you just add a regular rebel trooper since it matches what the card says and use the rules on the card? It would help in games where the gran might die and your opponent could say "you lost your exta soldier, now you can't use the text on his card"

I don't think it'll matter that much. Right now I believe I have three unbuilt squads of RT's. I'll be taking the Duros out of these, and combining it with this box, to make a squad of cantina mercs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, gothound said:

So the packs come with 2 heavy weapons and 2 regular corps upgrades. My question is, do you have to use the corresponding models to use the upgrades? For example, from what we can see the gran and ish-tib cards say "Rebel trooper", with the rest of the text saying to add a rebel trooper model and with some more extra rules added on that are hidden.

The Ish-tib's card specifically says that it must be the unit leader, so I think you have to use his model, but what about the gran? Could you just add a regular rebel trooper since it matches what the card says and use the rules on the card? It would help in games where the gran might die and your opponent could say "you lost your exta soldier, now you can't use the text on his card"

If its for organised ranked games, "Talk to your TO."

For casual, just be sure to be very clear with your opponent which squads have leaders, etc. attached. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lucasw42 said:

I like that droid E-5s even if it might mess with AI attack but I really wanna know how many dice the radiation gun gets. It's like the droid version of Ion. take that meatbags. 

Either add the Security Droid for yes-no-yes-no AI: Attack + HQ Uplink or keep it close to your commander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

That’s kinda the norm for the broader hobby. Like how games that use squads of 10 sell packs of 3 minis. 

Your information embargo didn't last long. Glad to have you back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cusm said:

Your information embargo didn't last long. Glad to have you back.

He just doesn't want to know the articles right before they are released, but I'll be sure he still sees them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

I like them, but it's making me regret my basing strategy. I base my squads with common bases, but differing between squads, so it's easy to tell the squads apart on the table, but means the whole army has a variety of base finishes. Makes it hard to mix & match ... now I get an expansion that encourages mixing and matching.

First world problems.

...Now that you mention it, this does throw a small wrench or two into my paint scheme plans; nothing some hard thinking won't be able to fix, though.

(My board game minis simply have colored bases (usually gray unless the color is important like in Descent), my RPG minis have yet to get proper bases as thus far I haven't found a crucial element (small thin rectangular slabs of stone) as basing material - I don't really want to rebase onto premade bases - for the universal medieval look I want to go for, all my WH40K kill teams have a basing scheme of their own, as do my Algoryn and Concord in BtGoA, and I'm already set on one each for Galactic Republic and Separatist Alliance as well. If I had Galactic Empire and Rebel Alliance armies, I'd just shrug and refrain from a cohesive basing scheme, going with what fits the various individual miniatures instead (sand, earth, snow, steel) - I guess I'd distinguish units via the sides of the bases, basically how it's done in Imperial Assault, although probably merely with distinct stripes, not fully colored.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fab74 said:

Why these upgrad packs come with unit cards ?

It seems to me that there are not enough minis to complete a squad...

 

It’s a bonus feature. You can utilize the “extra trooper” minis you have in your core set and/or expansions to build a new unit. Now, you have the card and cardboard so you can field them.

If I have 4x phase 1 clone units and don’t use the “extra mini” personnel card, I can turn around and toss them into a new unit with this card + the mini with LEADER keyword. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, fab74 said:

Why these upgrad packs come with unit cards ?

It seems to me that there are not enough minis to complete a squad...

 

because is combined them with two core box sets you have enough to filled 3 units

z six  new leader  3core     old leader 3core new heavy  old leader 2 core  left over new heavy or z6 and use new  ok you need one extra guys so you can make four out of three old rebel packs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Omegaclone said:

I’m planning on doing what you guy described with my bases for each squad. Did you have an overall theme like forest, use rocks for one squad and the logs for another? Or are they completely unique for each squad mixing several themes?

For my Specialist I based them on the FFG premium bases. 

For the new packs matching  one to each squad would work unless you use them by themselves. Multiples it may need to be. 

I do things a bit more simply. All my Rebel units have medium grey bases, and for units for which I have multiple copies (Rebel Troopers, Fleets, Commandos, etc), I paint each squad with a different color on the edges. The Empire have black bases, with similar different colored edges for squads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gothound said:

So the packs come with 2 heavy weapons and 2 regular corps upgrades. My question is, do you have to use the corresponding models to use the upgrades? For example, from what we can see the gran and ish-tib cards say "Rebel trooper", with the rest of the text saying to add a rebel trooper model and with some more extra rules added on that are hidden.

The Ish-tib's card specifically says that it must be the unit leader, so I think you have to use his model, but what about the gran? Could you just add a regular rebel trooper since it matches what the card says and use the rules on the card? It would help in games where the gran might die and your opponent could say "you lost your exta soldier, now you can't use the text on his card"

The hidden part of those cards will probably say "Rebel Trooper Captain" and "Rebel Trooper Specialist".  As far as having to use those models, I think as long as whatever model being used is clearly marked as being the specialist or captain there would be no problem.  I have figures from the commando and trooper boxes mixed in my SF and Corps units, the bases are marked with the appropriate symbols for easy ID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I base everything for Legion in Howard Hues Geohex Desert. It's a very light yellow. It looks better on snow than green would, looks better on an Endor table than snow would, etc. etc. and it matches the most extensive scenery layout I own. Legion got me so nostalgic for ye olde D6 that I went out and got a Geo Hex desert starter set, rough hills set, and flocked mat. Just like in the photos from the rulebook.

Yellow snow?

BAD Tauntaun! I guess that is why they smell bad on the outside...

m2TlJYT.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fab74 said:

Why these upgrad packs come with unit cards ?

It seems to me that there are not enough minis to complete a squad...

 

So for instance the storm trooper one can be made with standard e11s given you a squad of four desert storm troopers, or you can take the leader specialist and one of the heavy weapons  from this pack and combine it with left over standard troopers from another squad. If combined with the specialist packs (that I assume will arrive for clones and droids at some point) you may have left over minus because of the specialists taking the normal personnel slot so this enables you to max out figures on the table without having to buy extra standard boxes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Cusm said:

I love these except the Stormtroopers. I don't like that they are Tatooine Stormies. To me it will look odd to have 1 Tatooine stormtrooper in a regular unit and there are not enough to make them their own squad with one box. I really like it besides that little gripe.

you can play then as their own squad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

That has been my dream from the beginning!

I already do, although now that veterans are out I am rethinkig my army. How cool would it be to have a flamethrower in the fleet trooper squad?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

stormtroopers pack is probably going to be the least used. I still feel like the original DLT is the best "for cost" upgrade weapon. I don't think any of the other weapons are as cheap and none are as useful.  I guess we'll wait and see what the Stormtrooper captain does.  I feel like one of the Imperials is probably enough and possibly too much.  Rebel one might be cause for multiple purchases for the same reasons as the droid one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...