bwingstrike

New Unit Upgrade Packs!

These packs are awesome.  These are really going to diversify armies on the battle field not just ascetically.  

A Theelin? How cool is that? This is the 1st time in miniature form and only the 2nd time this species has been in figure form.  (crazed collector). Keep it up FFG!

Scatterguns, snipers, radiation, oh my. I love all of this. A lot of what I wanted from a pack like this - you can just refluff them as your vanilla troopers, or you can use them as their upgrade minis, so it's got a very broad appeal but isn't just "hey let me sell you the same stuff again". 

41 minutes ago, Squark said:

*A unit of 4 Stormtroopers+T-21 has a 34% chance of not getting even one surge, much less two! Even with an aim token, that's still a 23% chance of doing nothing. Factor in critical's limited use in large dice pools vs. Troopers, and you have a rather lackluster gun.

In this case I think we're considering Critical a better value than Impact. Yes, you do have less surge symbols than hit symbols, but it's Critical 2 (up to 2 conversions) and two more dice than a DLT so more opportunity. If you can proc critical, you can ignore Armor, Cover and Dodges. Plus the guy doubles your base offensive output. 

1 minute ago, LunarSol said:

New guns are cool, but without a way to make it appealing to run different unit configs its going to be annoying to buy the box multiple times for the one model you want to use.

Sell the other models or trade them off at the local store. 

I love these except the Stormtroopers. I don't like that they are Tatooine Stormies. To me it will look odd to have 1 Tatooine stormtrooper in a regular unit and there are not enough to make them their own squad with one box. I really like it besides that little gripe.

37 minutes ago, Squark said:

The pricing on the Storntrooper heavies is... weird. A DLT offers 1.75 average damage at range 1-4 with a useful keyword for 24 points. The T-21 only adds 1.5 damage at range 1-3, but costs 27 points and has a more situational keyword*. The RT-97 seems more reasonable at 26 points for 2 average damage and no keyword, though.

It kind of makes me wonder if the DLT is getting a points adjustment or something.

*A unit of 4 Stormtroopers+T-21 has a 34% chance of not getting even one surge, much less two! Even with an aim token, that's still a 23% chance of doing nothing. Factor in critical's limited use in large dice pools vs. Troopers, and you have a rather lackluster gun.

Critical hits will probably become more important, especially against clones with all that dodge sharing and Obi Wans tricks.

They are also quite useful against Strike Teams.

Both upgrades are  better at crit fishing, especially if you consider that you can aquire aim tokens relatively easy after that release.

Another thing is that in games like Legion or X-Wing, the extremes often matter as much as the averages.  Legion is not as extreme as X-wing in this regard, but the mechanics still  reward statistical outliers.

These statistical outliers will usually occur eventually if you make several attacks.

You think they’ll get these out for all corps units? It’d be cool to give the Fleets/Snowies a bit of flexibility.

Also it mentions in the article you can load out the Stormies with heavy weapons or their standard E-11s, but it doesn’t mention this for the Rebels.

1 hour ago, Squark said:

For dedicated fans, this is more exciting, but the 2nd wave of clone wars releases makes for much bigger headlines.

These units include 2 CW units and are upgrades coming for CW before 2020. Also how much time would be added to include these, 3-5 minutes max?

7 minutes ago, DuloWilkain said:

You think they’ll get these out for all corps units? It’d be cool to give the Fleets/Snowies a bit of flexibility.

Also it mentions in the article you can load out the Stormies with heavy weapons or their standard E-11s, but it doesn’t mention this for the Rebels.

It's fluff writing. All mini's in a unit have access to the standard weapon printed on the card. In this case, all Stormtroopers have access to the E-11 just like rebel troopers all have access to the A-280.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, JBar said:

I would love to know if they will definitely this for phase 2 clones

I am thinking they will. We are just getting extras for the first/standard corps right now. Betting Fleet, Snow, Phase 2, and B2s will be next.

Edited by KiraYamatoSF

2 hours ago, Jabby said:

And theres a training upgrade with tactical.

That by itself might shake up the meta quite a bit.

Some Medical Droids + Vader+ Force Guidance + New Ways to Motivate Them + 2 x Royal Guard with Tenacity, Tactical 1 and Environmental Gear = sexy times

Love the leader piñata command droid, so good!

not sure about using the security droid with B1, because unless you start to fragment your formation, they should almost all have order tokens.

maybe having a security droid yelling ‘no! No! Don’t shoot that!’ To some B2 out of order range would be hilarious.

1 minute ago, joewrightgm said:

Love the leader piñata command droid, so good!

not sure about using the security droid with B1, because unless you start to fragment your formation, they should almost all have order tokens.

maybe having a security droid yelling ‘no! No! Don’t shoot that!’ To some B2 out of order range would be hilarious.

Insurance against Comms Jammers

I'm starting to think we will see some changes to some of the older upgrades, one of the reasons vehicles had issues early on was DLTs being able consistently damage them . I'm beginning to think that Critical is the personnel arms version for impact and that we will see DLT troopers become critical 2 instead of impact 1, bringing vehicles back into the meta more strongly. This also makes the ion exhaust weapons more viable as well. 

This is a stab in the dark but who knows

Question for the more experience miniature game players: is there a compelling reason to wait/hope for FFG to follow through on its plans to rerelease old sets on sprues in hard plastic? This would be my first foray into the genre.

Posted (edited)

Nah, DLT will stay what it is, because there are a couple DLTs and they're all balanced that way. We have now established DLT-19s are Impact, T-21s are Critical 2, etc. There are plenty of personnel level Impact items, like the SX-21 in the Rebel pack which is actually a scattergun blaster. What instead I think this pack is giving you more options which means Armor can come back. As it stands now, with only the HH-12 as the other option, there's no godly reason NOT to take the DLT-19. However, the RTC is now only two points more, same range, still has the red die for the R4 suppression chip but also if you roll good you can do twice as much damage - and with B-1s about to be flooding the scene you may actually want to be able to knock off more models off a unit. Vehicles still have other problems, and these packs will come with another couple of sources of Impact, so I doubt they will "cleanly" resurge until maybe the new tanks, but you won't guarantee say every Empire list has Impact because maybe the other guy wants a higher rate of fire, plus what factions you can face have increased. It basically gives Imperial players a reason to not take DLT-19s. And also now we probably have to specify the 19, because Rebels have the DLT-20A, and since that's IG-88's gun you can bet your sweet buns Empire will have that one too eventually. 

Edited by UnitOmega

6 minutes ago, werdnaegni said:

You sir are the best!

3 minutes ago, astronautcowboy said:

Question for the more experience miniature game players: is there a compelling reason to wait/hope for FFG to follow through on its plans to rerelease old sets on sprues in hard plastic? This would be my first foray into the genre.

I don’t think so. We know it will *eventually* happen but we don’t know when. There’s also evidence that the new plastic may cost us more based on the snafu of the pricing on their website. Time will tell, but if you want in and you have units that are available now I’d just jump on in and start playing 

Posted (edited)

So Phase 2 clones will have access to Tactical natively. Start the round with a Surge and make a move and get an Aim. And if they don’t use either, another trooper can use them. They are going to be bad a s s!

Edited by JediPartisan