Elcuervomuerto88

Skill Cards: Innate & Practiced

12 minutes ago, DarkFate said:

The icons on the top left are used when you commit the card to a test. The +1 combat in the text box are only active when you played the card out.

Please explain what do you mean under playing card out?

Thanks!

Cards which are Assets or Events (see the top left of the card) can be used in one of two ways.

1. They can be played, by default by spending one of your three actions in the investigator phase and paying their cost in resources. Assets then go into your play area and you gain access to their card text, which for Dr. Morgan is +1 combat and the reaction ability to exhaust Dr. Morgan and draw a card when you defeat a monster. Events are typically a one time effect and then they are discarded.
  2. They can be committed to skill tests. During the skill test they give a bonus equal to the number of icons on the card matching the type of test, then at the end of the test they are discarded. Typically any text on the card is ignored when they are used in this way. This is also how Skill cards are used, but they also usually give additional bonuses in their text box.

Hope that helps.

31 minutes ago, Assussanni said:

Cards which are Assets or Events (see the top left of the card) can be used in one of two ways.

1. They can be played, by default by spending one of your three actions in the investigator phase and paying their cost in resources. Assets then go into your play area and you gain access to their card text, which for Dr. Morgan is +1 combat and the reaction ability to exhaust Dr. Morgan and draw a card when you defeat a monster. Events are typically a one time effect and then they are discarded.
  2. They can be committed to skill tests. During the skill test they give a bonus equal to the number of icons on the card matching the type of test, then at the end of the test they are discarded. Typically any text on the card is ignored when they are used in this way. This is also how Skill cards are used, but they also usually give additional bonuses in their text box.

Hope that helps.

So you can sacrifice your asset cards which are on your hand for a skill test as well? Then after test you should discard it. I thought you can't play asset cards until they are in your game zone, I mean even commit them to skill test. I thought only skill cards and events can be played that way.

53 minutes ago, Elcuervomuerto88 said:

So you can sacrifice your asset cards which are on your hand for a skill test as well? Then after test you should discard it. I thought you can't play asset cards until they are in your game zone, I mean even commit them to skill test. I thought only skill cards and events can be played that way.

Any asset, event, or skill card that is both in your hand and has at least one skill icon (upper left hand corner of the card) that matches the skill being tested can be committed to a skill test.

Assets that are already in play, cannot be committed to a skill test.  Assets in play provide a different benefit as described in their text boxes.

As Morgan is not a skill card, his text is completely ignored while he's committed to a test. While he's in play, on the other hand, his skill icons are meaningless unless another card explicitly checks them. 

In other words, you can either commit Morgan to get his icons (for +2 to one combat test or +1 to any other test) or play him to get +1 combat as long as he remains in play. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Skeptical Gamer said:

Any asset, event, or skill card that is both in your hand and has at least one skill icon (upper left hand corner of the card) that matches the skill being tested can be committed to a skill test.

Assets that are already in play, cannot be committed to a skill test.  Assets in play provide a different benefit as described in their text boxes.

11 hours ago, rsdockery said:

As Morgan is not a skill card, his text is completely ignored while he's committed to a test. While he's in play, on the other hand, his skill icons are meaningless unless another card explicitly checks them

In other words, you can either commit Morgan to get his icons (for +2 to one combat test or +1 to any other test) or play him to get +1 combat as long as he remains in play. 

Now I got it, thank you!

More questions please: If I must put 1 horror & 1 damage on me or some of my cards and I have, for example, Adam Lynch in play, can I put both horror & damage on him? Or I should put either 1 horror or 1 damage on this card and after it he is dead and 1 left damage (or horror) I should put on me or some other card? 

When I finish Miskatonic museum expansion with Adam Lynch in my game zone he still can go with my to next expansion (train one), right? I mean I shouldn't discard him when 1st museum story quest is ended (as he has appropriate snake icon in the top right). 

Thank you! 

AHC03_139.jpg

Edited by Elcuervomuerto88

Read rules reference under page 7 "Dealing damage/horror".

You don't get to keep cards you get during a scenario unless it explicitly says to add it to your deck. (Usually at the resolution of the scenario)

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, DarkFate said:

Read rules reference under page 7 "Dealing damage/horror".

You don't get to keep cards you get during a scenario unless it explicitly says to add it to your deck. (Usually at the resolution of the scenario)

Sorry but it's still not clear for me. 😣 Rules reference didn't resolve the matter. And about scenario assets... I still can't understand clearly... I may leave them in play for next scenario or I MUST discard them after their scenario is over? 

Edited by Elcuervomuerto88

Damage/horror is assigned simultaneously and then dealt. In short you can give the poor guy both the damage and horror but you can't give him more damage/horror than he has health/sanity.

You have to discard it after the scenario unless the scenario says to add it to your deck. I don't know how to say it any clearer than that.

5 minutes ago, DarkFate said:

Damage/horror is assigned simultaneously and then dealt. In short you can give the poor guy both the damage and horror but you can't give him more damage/horror than he has health/sanity.

You have to discard it after the scenario unless the scenario says to add it to your deck. I don't know how to say it any clearer than that.

Thank you, now it's clear. And nothing stops me from dealing horror and damage to different cards in play, right? It's not necessary to put all damage and horror directly to one of your cards, ain't it? Some cards can absorb damage, some can horror, simultaneously. 

Posted (edited)

Hi all!
I'm a newbie and i have one question about commiting skill cards:
When i commit a skill card for my investigator partner skill test, do we have to apply the skill card text? If yes, is it applied to me or him?
Or the text is applied only for the investigators who commit the skill card for his OWN abilty check?

Edited by Andrew1394
Grammar error

2 hours ago, Andrew1394 said:

Hi all!
I'm a newbie and i have one question about commiting skill cards:
When i commit a skill card for my investigator partner skill test, do we have to apply the skill card text? If yes, is it applied to me or him?
Or the text is applied only for the investigators who commit the skill card for his OWN abilty check?

Hey @Andrew1394, welcome. Hopefully I can answer. 
First thing to clarify, of course, is the difference between committing an asset or event, and committing a skill - for the former, the only thing added is the icons, for the latter, all the text as well as the icons is active, but your post suggests you get that.

When you commit to a partner: yes, the skill card text is active. The text is applied to the person who is committing the card, rather than the person committed to, unless otherwise stated. So, for instance, if I commit a Guts to your test, you get +2 willpower, and if you succeed, I draw a card. If I were to commit a Eureka! to your test instead, you'd get +1 willpower, and as the card specifies you, taking the test, you'd get the additional ability: https://arkhamdb.com/find?q=eureka 

So your third question (is it only to your own checks) is a NO, but it's also worth checking out some skill cards which are specifically limited to your own tests, such as Watch This! and Rise to the Occasion (https://arkhamdb.com/find?q=watch+this and https://arkhamdb.com/card/02192) - they specifically say they can only be committing to tests *you* are performing. 

Hope this helps. 

1 hour ago, zooeyglass said:

Hey @Andrew1394, welcome. Hopefully I can answer. 
First thing to clarify, of course, is the difference between committing an asset or event, and committing a skill - for the former, the only thing added is the icons, for the latter, all the text as well as the icons is active, but your post suggests you get that.

When you commit to a partner: yes, the skill card text is active. The text is applied to the person who is committing the card, rather than the person committed to, unless otherwise stated. So, for instance, if I commit a Guts to your test, you get +2 willpower, and if you succeed, I draw a card. If I were to commit a Eureka! to your test instead, you'd get +1 willpower, and as the card specifies you, taking the test, you'd get the additional ability: https://arkhamdb.com/find?q=eureka 

So your third question (is it only to your own checks) is a NO, but it's also worth checking out some skill cards which are specifically limited to your own tests, such as Watch This! and Rise to the Occasion (https://arkhamdb.com/find?q=watch+this and https://arkhamdb.com/card/02192) - they specifically say they can only be committing to tests *you* are performing. 

Hope this helps. 

Thank you very much for your clear explanation!