Ronu

Overlooked ships

50 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

4LOM was very strong for a while but he's become easier and easier to PS kill recently, and he's useless if he dies before he engages properly.

On that note, may I present the glorious Zuckuss. Can engage happily at long range and deals decent damage. If you want to PS kill him, you'll have to wade through his mates.

2 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

On that note, may I present the glorious Zuckuss. Can engage happily at long range and deals decent damage. If you want to PS kill him, you'll have to wade through his mates.

Zuckass w/ 4lom crew and crackshot is my go to! very cheap to fit a 4 ship list.

8 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I'll also add the Belbullab to the "overlooked ships" list.  On the surface, it's kinda unexciting, and it costs too much real-world money to get more than 1 or 2.  An X-Wing or a Kihraxz with one fewer hit point.  But having Roll and Boost linked into Focus or Calculate tokens mean they can move fairly well, even if their blues are dirt.  I've always had more fun with it than I'd expect.

Grievous is also just a decent little hitter.  45 points get him with Crack Shot, fast enough to flank due to the 5-straight and the boost, and good enough Initiative to pick apart generics.  Not many 45 point ships can put out as much damage as Grievous seems like he can.  Grievous can also take Soulless One and Impervium Plating, essentially become a 9 health ship, and get occasional defensive rerolls, and winds up being fairly tanky too.

Double-bubble and a mini-swarm of droids is very potent especially with Grievous as a flanker. If only there was an Astromech slot to resolve the horrendous blue maneuvers...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, K13R4N said:

Zuckass w/ 4lom crew and crackshot is my go to! very cheap to fit a 4 ship list.

Decent.

I've been loading him up like a crazy fool, because it's too much fun not to :D

(45) Zuckuss [G-1A Starfighter]
(2) Electronic Baffle
(10) Advanced Sensors
(4) Trick Shot
(2) Mist Hunter

Crew is nice and can add even more nonsense, but the list tends to suffer. Obviously, lol.

Flown him with Guri and Old T, which was good. Because Guri. And Old T.

Also with Fenn and Talonbane, which was less good. Because TB is a bit clunky, making the whole list extremely knife edge.

Next up will be 2 Bounty Hunters with Rigged Cargo.... When I get round to trying it properly... Has crazy hard counters but it's not intended to be a tourney winner.

Guri and Kavil are also on the wingmate list for some future point.

I just use him as a 5 die zone of suicidal badness. With AS and Baffle, he'll normally shoot every turn until he dies. Sometimes that's not very long but he still creates an inordinate amount of trouble. He's stupidly unpredictable and continuously proves how variance favours reds over greens.

Edited by Cuz05

23 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

With Matt Carys run at GenCon, the cat may out of the bag....

Shhh.... don't tell anyone. Maybe no one will notice that I did well with them. :)

Obviously, I believe the TIE/v1 is overlooked, but aside from that, I think the IG Aggressor might be better than people think. Not great, but better than they think. 

5 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

Shhh.... don't tell anyone. Maybe no one will notice that I did well with them. :)

Let's emphasize your incredible, superhuman levels of skill with them, then us v1 fans can all carry on being special ones :D

All hail Matt Cary, he who makes the baddest of ships look playable!

1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

Obviously, I believe the TIE/v1 is overlooked, but aside from that, I think the IG Aggressor might be better than people think. Not great, but better than they think. 

I agree on the IG-2000, the early meta was dominated by very efficient I5-6 pilots, which were both easier to play and bad matchup for expensive I4s.

Nowadays the playing field feels more even and a lot more people play lower initiatives, so I hope we'll see someone good seriously try IGs. Also Autoblasters seem pretty good for them.

Brobots

(68) IG-88A [Aggressor Assault Fighter]
(1) IG-2000
(2) Autoblasters
(0) Jamming Beam

(64) IG-88B [Aggressor Assault Fighter]
(1) IG-2000
(2) Autoblasters
(0) Jamming Beam

(49) 4-LOM [G-1A Starfighter]
(3) IG-88D
(10) Advanced Sensors

Total points: 200

13 minutes ago, Pink_Viking said:

I agree on the IG-2000, the early meta was dominated by very efficient I5-6 pilots, which were both easier to play and bad matchup for expensive I4s.

Nowadays the playing field feels more even and a lot more people play lower initiatives, so I hope we'll see someone good seriously try IGs. Also Autoblasters seem pretty good for them.

Brobots

(1) IG-2000
(2) Autoblasters
(0) Jamming Beam

(1) IG-2000
(2) Autoblasters
(0) Jamming Beam

(3) IG-88D
(10) Advanced Sensors

Drop one of the ABs for Mist Hunter.  Mist Hunter is absolutely essential to good 4LOMming.

9 hours ago, Pink_Viking said:

(1) IG-2000
(2) Autoblasters
(0) Jamming Beam

(1) IG-2000
(2) Autoblasters
(0) Jamming Beam

(3) IG-88D
(10) Advanced Sensors

I've tried autoblasters with IG-B, and you definitely want tractor beams instead. Most of your missed shots with a 3-dice primary are going to be way out at range 3, and your autoblaster won't work out there.

On 8/8/2019 at 1:57 AM, gadwag said:

I've tried autoblasters with IG-B, and you definitely want tractor beams instead. Most of your missed shots with a 3-dice primary are going to be way out at range 3, and your autoblaster won't work out there.

Have to somewhat disagree.  Might be down to playstyle.

Played 88B +88C with autoblasters and marskmanship over the weekend.      (Didn't have 4-lom,  had Lando escape craft and Z'Dru Z-95.  Non standard list because it was an escalation type event so had a growing fleet up to 210 points)

I do agree that I did have a couple of range 3 engagements where I missed, and then couldn't shoot with the cannon, in which case the tractor would have at least been able to do something.  And I did also notice that most of the R1 or R2 shots taken didn't miss initially, so no bonus attack.  So you make a very valid argument.

But this was far less than the number of out-of arc shots that caused crits with the Autoblaster. And you don't have to reserve the use of the cannon to "missing bonus shots".  But then, I basically worked hard for the out of arc - bulls-eye crits.

I am really happy with the Kihraxz Fighter, especially the generic Cartels.  They even got cheaper!   My favorite list is three of them with other toys, but with the 1 hard turn, they can fly in a loose formation amazingly well and turn pretty easily to face flankers.  They are hard to kill in a single turn and can really put the hurt on things with 3 red dice and a Focus.   Also good for blocking.

On 8/7/2019 at 4:38 AM, thespaceinvader said:

4LOM was very strong for a while but he's become easier and easier to PS kill recently, and he's useless if he dies before he engages properly.

I recently faced off against a nasty 4-LOM with Elusive that had my Vultures in fits.  It could do a red move (including a full stop), get the Calculate, flip Elusive, and then pass off the Stress marker!  That Elusive saved a few hits here and there and the dial has plenty of red moves.  The fact that you can then push the Stress off was pretty nice, too. 

12 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I am really happy with the Kihraxz Fighter, especially the generic Cartels.  They even got cheaper!   My favorite list is three of them with other toys, but with the 1 hard turn, they can fly in a loose formation amazingly well and turn pretty easily to face flankers.  They are hard to kill in a single turn and can really put the hurt on things with 3 red dice and a Focus.   Also good for blocking.

I recently faced off against a nasty 4-LOM with Elusive that had my Vultures in fits.  It could do a red move (including a full stop), get the Calculate, flip Elusive, and then pass off the Stress marker!  That Elusive saved a few hits here and there and the dial has plenty of red moves.  The fact that you can then push the Stress off was pretty nice, too. 

And what you should have done was focus fired on him at range 2 or 3 (you did bring I3 vultures right?) so that he's either dead or mostly dead by the time he gets to the point where those stops are meaningful.

It's not always easy to do right, but 4LOM is very much a trap card - i.e., once you know what you're doing against him, and treat him as the very real endgame threat you don't expect him to be because he's a really expensive B Wing... he folds pretty easy.

38 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

And what you should have done was focus fired on him at range 2 or 3 (you did bring I3 vultures right?) so that he's either dead or mostly dead by the time he gets to the point where those stops are meaningful.

It's not always easy to do right, but 4LOM is very much a trap card - i.e., once you know what you're doing against him, and treat him as the very real endgame threat you don't expect him to be because he's a really expensive B Wing... he folds pretty easy.

No.  I made numerous mistakes in this game as I'm trying things out.  It was 4LOM and two IG-88's.  I did spread my fire out too much.  First salvo stripped 4LOM's shields (with shield upgrade), stripped one IG's, and damaged the third.  It was almost all the damage I got in that game, except for plinking 4LOM down to 2 hull.  Very frustrating, but I learned a lot.  :)

4-Lom is still good, but was more relevant when you had to choose other people to shoot at. No Spacetugs, no Palob, and no Boba means you focus down 4-Lom. Only Torkil  would draw the ire away from 4-Lom now it seems.

21 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

4-Lom is still good, but was more relevant when you had to choose other people to shoot at. No Spacetugs, no Palob, and no Boba means you focus down 4-Lom. Only Torkil  would draw the ire away from 4-Lom now it seems.

Ok then :D

(3) Elusive

(70) Ketsu Onyo [Lancer-class Pursuit Craft]
(3) Shadow Caster
(3) Fearless
(3) IG-88D

(68) Fenn Rau [Fang Fighter]

Total points: 199

I like that list. Probably drop Fenn down to Old T to get the best of the Shadowcaster title. With your extra points, you can give Old T Fearless and either give 4-Lom Advanced Sensors, or switch IG-88 out for Maul.

54 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

I like that list. Probably drop Fenn down to Old T to get the best of the Shadowcaster title. With your extra points, you can give Old T Fearless and either give 4-Lom Advanced Sensors, or switch IG-88 out for Maul.

I really did just put the 2 biggest 'other' threats I could think of in there, so I'd probably do the same. And swap 4LOM for Zuckuss, lol.

I have been flying IG-88 B and IG-88 D in my local meta with a win ratio around 80 to 85%.  I have also flown them in tournaments with my latest one ending in 2nd place.  They are nasty little buggers and it is quite possible to have a 200 / 0 victory with them (although more often, I win 200 to 50)­.  They can be quite nasty if you have a lot of experience with them.

37 minutes ago, dotswarlock said:

I have been flying IG-88 B and IG-88 D in my local meta with a win ratio around 80 to 85%.  I have also flown them in tournaments with my latest one ending in 2nd place.  They are nasty little buggers and it is quite possible to have a 200 / 0 victory with them (although more often, I win 200 to 50)­.  They can be quite nasty if you have a lot of experience with them.

This. I think the reason people aren't doing well with brobots is because they're obsessed with fitting a third IG in there. But when you have just 2 of them, you can get some really game-changing upgrades (AS, devices, cannons, actually good talents, etc.).

I've been wanting to get my 2-IG list to the table, but it keeps showing up too far down my priority list.

Posted (edited)

I really enjoy the IG Aggressors and feel that they quite  possibly may be the best chassis in the game.  With a stat line better than a defender: 3-3-5-3, two cannons, system, device, illicit, Talent, mod AND title slots. And have you seen the dial? 1 hards, 9 different blue maneuvers, 3-sloops and a 4-K! This bad boy was built to kill.

Ok, so the Initiative is a 4, but good players will do well. Great players can elevate them to heights unknown.

I'd rather see this ship in Hyperspace than 4 naked Jumpmasters (watch for it when it drops--the Jump is coming!).

Edited by Force Majeure

i feel the E-Wing is a real overlooked one due to its cost but dear lord the places it can go is terrifying making this ship just a little more cheaper might make this thing viable for more than one or two in a squad and i could easily see E-Wings being the best blockers of X-Wing on account of the sheer volume of maneuvers it has available to it