Ronu

Overlooked ships

Now I understand Meta wing numbers and tournament results ect ect ect all say their own thing. Honestly though I personally don’t care for that data as it’s often misleading or not representative of local groups at large. So what I’m honestly curious about is now that we are a year in what ships have you used or faced that did far more than you anticipated?

For me personally A-wings and Rebel Z-95’s. The A-wings are often criticized for being too low on PS or two dice attacks. I have found them Super effective paired with a couple of X-wings and handing them crack shots. Arvell(spelling) does a ton of work either as board control or just a pure harasser. The Z’s have shocked me with a show of slight durability and even with a very mundane dial the ability to be versatile enough to use in small groups in conjunction with either a solid Ace or in a mixed bag of smaller ships that creates a unique Rebels numbers game where that slight durability becomes an interesting factor.

I am TOTALLY with you with the RZ-1s. I think people gave up on them before they got their extra talent slot and haven't gone back to them. I love them and are the back bone of my current list I fly. Can't say I've had much luck with Z-95s, but then I never really liked flying them even in 1st edition.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Icelom said:

Tie advanced V1.

Has been my favorite ship all second edition. I feel like it's also one of the strongest ships, but ffg keeps dropping there points so I guess I am fairly alone in that.

Hear, hear!

With Matt Carys run at GenCon, the cat may out of the bag....

I think people just simply don't trust it. I've been flying them a lot, doing well and people have been surprised and impressed by it but still, no one around me has put one on the table.

Edited by Cuz05

Non-Vader x1s for me.  For logistical reasons I've not had chance to play my Imperials much since the last big rebalancing, but with Passive Sensors now an option i think there's still a really strong list in PS generics - and Maarek is a great ace for under 50 points with FCS.  Potentially FCS/Afterburners/Composure to go in with focus/lock if you get your engagement right.

Only owning one Advanced plastic is the biggest issue I have with this plan lol.

4 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

Hear, hear!

With Matt Carys run at GenCon, the cat may out of the bag....

I think people just simply don't trust it. I've been flying them a lot, doing well and people have been surprised and impressed by it but still, no one around me has put one on the table.

This. Always liked them but even I was surprised at how well they could do at GenCon. Need to give them a run again.

2 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Non-Vader x1s for me.  For logistical reasons I've not had chance to play my Imperials much since the last big rebalancing, but with Passive Sensors now an option i think there's still a really strong list in PS generics - and Maarek is a great ace for under 50 points with FCS.  Potentially FCS/Afterburners/Composure to go in with focus/lock if you get your engagement right.

Only owning one Advanced plastic is the biggest issue I have with this plan lol.

THIS! Me and my mate LOVE running Maarek. Given the right squad around him he can be deadly with his ability. And as he isn't Vader you can a) fit more in around him and b) he isn't always such a target for your opponent.

RZ-1s also. Yes they can pop, like a lot of things, but when 2.0 started I had great fun running 3 crackshot greens with Corran.

7 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

I am TOTALLY with you with the RZ-1s. I think people gave up on them before they got their extra talent slot and haven't gone back to them. I love them and are the back bone of my current list I fly. Can't say I've had much luck with Z-95s, but then I never really liked flying them even in 1st edition.

Once snap shot comes out I think we're going to see them a lot more. bonus attacks in the activation phase when no one has tokens? Sounds good. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, pyoinator said:

Once snap shot comes out I think we're going to see them a lot more. bonus attacks in the activation phase when no one has tokens? Sounds good. 

add juke or crackshot, as they are still allowed, and you have a solid starting point

Edited by GreenDragoon
crackshot only primary

47 minutes ago, pyoinator said:

No doubt!

43 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

add juke or crackshot, as they are still allowed, and you have a solid starting point

Juke works (but a Juke Snap Green is going to be 9 points more than a Snap Phoenix), but Crack Shot is Primary-only these days.

29 minutes ago, ForrestGrump said:

Theoretical for me (for now)
I still think there is a lot of potential with the humble khirahz fighter
a budget xwing with more dirty trick potential?

Talonbane Cobra is a legit ship.  Cartel Marauder being 38 also seems pretty tempting these days.

52 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

They can be decent.  I even had a few good games with a Howulrunner + 4/x1 list.  Once you have a way to make their first round not-suck (Passive Sensors, high initiative, Jendon, Howlrunner + Focus), I think the x1 is a solid enough ship.

1 hour ago, Icelom said:

Tie advanced V1.

Has been my favorite ship all second edition. I feel like it's also one of the strongest ships, but ffg keeps dropping there points so I guess I am fairly alone in that.

TIE/v1 is just super fun.  Turns out, the Force is good.  Baron of the Empire is kinda cool, neat dial and actions, but with Inquisitors only being +3 points, I kinda can't imagine flying one.

//

For myself, the TIE/sf.  I think folks have kinda caught on, but I think pretty much any way these get built is decent.  Low upgrades no-gunner, Passive Sensors and Missiles, just going with Special Forces Gunner for probably the most flexible 3-red mainline jouster.  Any pilot is also decent.  Rear guns for huge time-on-target is just really good.

I almost can't believe that FFG, at the same time they realized they needed to nerf the RZ-2 A-Wing, buffed the TIE/sf.

I always like the RZ-1 growing up, so I like putting it on the table. Like others have said, Jake is solid for his points. Also the I1 is a great blocker.

Personally, my favorite is Arvel with Intimidation. I have found if used right, he doesn't take many shots and is a nuisance and if he does eat it, he is only 37 points.

1 hour ago, Tsavong said:

I always like the RZ-1 growing up, so I like putting it on the table. Like others have said, Jake is solid for his points. Also the I1 is a great blocker.

Personally, my favorite is Arvel with Intimidation. I have found if used right, he doesn't take many shots and is a nuisance and if he does eat it, he is only 37 points.

Intimidation is stapled to him. Predator or Marksmanship is also a nice addition to him (love me those double talent slots!)

5 hours ago, Icelom said:

Tie advanced V1.

I think it's a combination of factors : X-wing 1.0 Grand Inquisitor was THE pocket ace. Absolutely bonker tanky with evade, focus, autothruster for a very low price. Other V1 might as well not exist compared to him.

In V2, he lost some of his efficiency and tricks and I think people thinks he's bad because they compare him to what he was. Same for the rest of the pilot, they all pale in comparison on the previous GrandInqui. And 4 health, 3 green, is very variance prone : sometimes, you will get oneshoted at R3 despite your best effort, and that will suck.

But that being said, I also think it's a very good ship! Cheap force user, awesome dial, can double down evade + force for tankyness. I think they day they have a way to reload a missile (either with a particular missile that can be reloaded or with an upgrade) is the day they will really shine!

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, DarthSempai said:

I think they day they have a way to reload a missile (either with a particular missile that can be reloaded or with an upgrade) is the day they will really shine!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjUcETf0betAmGCXrAu6D

I'm still hoping they implement these someday. 

Maybe in a campaign.

Edited by JJ48

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

No doubt!

Juke works (but a Juke Snap Green is going to be 9 points more than a Snap Phoenix), but Crack Shot is Primary-only these days.

Talonbane Cobra is a legit ship.  Cartel Marauder being 38 also seems pretty tempting these days.

They can be decent.  I even had a few good games with a Howulrunner + 4/x1 list.  Once you have a way to make their first round not-suck (Passive Sensors, high initiative, Jendon, Howlrunner + Focus), I think the x1 is a solid enough ship.

TIE/v1 is just super fun.  Turns out, the Force is good.  Baron of the Empire is kinda cool, neat dial and actions, but with Inquisitors only being +3 points, I kinda can't imagine flying one.

//

For myself, the TIE/sf.  I think folks have kinda caught on, but I think pretty much any way these get built is decent.  Low upgrades no-gunner, Passive Sensors and Missiles, just going with Special Forces Gunner for probably the most flexible 3-red mainline jouster.  Any pilot is also decent.  Rear guns for huge time-on-target is just really good.

I almost can't believe that FFG, at the same time they realized they needed to nerf the RZ-2 A-Wing, buffed the TIE/sf.

YUPPPPPPP.

I'll toss another out - the TIE/FO. If lists with torrents can be really effective at 25 points, a 26 point epsilon cadet - with a tremendously better dial, 3 green dice for 1 total health less and one of those being a shield, and sloops with the k turn, I think its better as a filler than people think. There is utility in the other pilots too. First Order needs more options to open up the points market for combinations that include these blockers, but they really aren't bad just because they can't swarm well.

Edited by dsul413

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, gadwag said:

What was he flying?

I've been eyeing off the generic inquisitor and 7sis for a while now

:)From the horse's mouth: https://midwestscrub.wordpress.com/2019/08/06/how-to-almost-win-the-north-american-championship/

The thread here that they linked to the article from:

Edited by Hiemfire

13 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

I had some luck with Jake in RZ-1 accompanied by Lando and Dutch a point change ago.

I think the problem the RZ-1 has is that the RZ-2 is a thing. So most people who would like the 1 are just flying resistance lists with the 2.

Hear hear, that's basically it. Luckily, I don't like X-Wings much so I'm glad the RZ-2 is as good as it is.

Posted (edited)

I'll also add the Belbullab to the "overlooked ships" list.  On the surface, it's kinda unexciting, and it costs too much real-world money to get more than 1 or 2.  An X-Wing or a Kihraxz with one fewer hit point.  But having Roll and Boost linked into Focus or Calculate tokens mean they can move fairly well, even if their blues are dirt.  I've always had more fun with it than I'd expect.

Grievous is also just a decent little hitter.  45 points get him with Crack Shot, fast enough to flank due to the 5-straight and the boost, and good enough Initiative to pick apart generics.  Not many 45 point ships can put out as much damage as Grievous seems like he can.  Grievous can also take Soulless One and Impervium Plating, essentially become a 9 health ship, and get occasional defensive rerolls, and winds up being fairly tanky too.

Edited by theBitterFig

I think passive sensors may have truly revitalized the gunboat from the awkward position it started from in 2nd edition.  I'm looking forward to running them in the future

praise be

Posted (edited)

I’m going to throw my hat into the RZ-1 ring as well: Intimidation Phoenixes are super hard for me to keep out of my lists. You can get 2 for 66 points, leaving 134 for a seriously heavy hitter or two solid aces.

A green with Daredevil and Intimidation at 38 is less obviously good, but you can still fit five in a list including both named pilots. I3 is actually quite relevant in this beefy meta, so they can even play the ace half the time.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Right now I feel that IG-2000 is pretty overlooked. It isn't easy like I5-6 double repositioning Force users, but they have some interesting tricks up their sleeves and incredible stats. Also 4LOM doesn't see much play, although he's still a menace.

In that vein the humble I1 TIE Defenders are really solid fielded with PalpCarrier or accompanying ace (Soontir). 1 or 2 pts bid makes you nigh unblockable, but you have to play without perfect information like so many are used to.