gadwag

Mag Pulse Missiles Are Not Fun

Truthfully, if you are running mutiple ships equipped with missiles, only one of your ships needs Mag-Pulse Warheads. Have that ship fire first to proc off the effect and have the rest of your missile squad hit the target with concussion missiles for example. 

For example, if points allow, my Kylo+3x missile Zeta SFs will be modified to have one copy Mag Pulse Warheads while the rest have concussions.

50 minutes ago, AgentoftheEmpire said:

Truthfully, if you are running mutiple ships equipped with missiles, only one of your ships needs Mag-Pulse Warheads. Have that ship fire first to proc off the effect and have the rest of your missile squad hit the target with concussion missiles for example. 

For example, if points allow, my Kylo+3x missile Zeta SFs will be modified to have one copy Mag Pulse Warheads while the rest have concussions.

Strain gets removed after you defend, so it would only affect one ship unless you hit them with another strain, and another, and another.

The last could have concussion, though there would be no cards to flip as they'd probably all be faceup already.

14 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Strain gets removed after you defend, so it would only affect one ship unless you hit them with another strain, and another, and another.

The last could have concussion, though there would be no cards to flip as they'd probably all be faceup already.

Strain? Mag Pulse hands out deplete. 

3 minutes ago, AgentoftheEmpire said:

Strain? Mag Pulse hands out deplete. 

Lel sleepy brain. Disregard.

Strain missiles would be scary strong though.

To be fair, multi-deplete would be mean because that means multiple turns with reduced attack; worse than weapons failure.

Just now, ClassicalMoser said:

Lel sleepy brain. Disregard.

Strain missiles would be scary strong though.

To be fair, multi-deplete would be mean because that means multiple turns with reduced attack; worse than weapons failure.

Deplete on top of weapons failure sounds incredibly bad for your opponent. 

3 hours ago, SabineKey said:

Do we think these will have Initiative based costing?

They had better. Jam is way better at high init, and deplete is way better at high init. With that in mind, the missile really ought to cost 2x as much at i5 as it does at i2, because it's at least twice as good at high init.

5 hours ago, AgentoftheEmpire said:

I keep also thinking about Kylo crew, as an easy way to assign I'll Show You The Dark Side.  Hand over the "Panicked Pilot" crit.  Mag Pulse SF triggers the condition, and assigns it.  It flips face down.  Two Concussion Missile ships follow and hopefully flip it back up.  The poor sap could wind up with 6 stress.

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2019 at 10:06 PM, theBitterFig said:

I keep also thinking about Kylo crew, as an easy way to assign I'll Show You The Dark Side.  Hand over the "Panicked Pilot" crit.  Mag Pulse SF triggers the condition, and assigns it.  It flips face down.  Two Concussion Missile ships follow and hopefully flip it back up.  The poor sap could wind up with 6 stress.

And then Korr Sella removes all the stress after going over the debris.

Edited by Smikies02

Posted (edited)

I think people are overreacting a bit. Only has 2 charges. capped at 1 damage is a huge downside if you are investing points into an I6 with this. Can still miss and do straight-up nothing as 3-dice single-modded attacks sometimes do. Yes it will likely cripple one enemy ships attack if it hits, but you kind of also did that to yourself by capping your I6 to 1 damage for a turn so it's a trade-off. I really like that this is an answer to ordnance spam and reinforce. I think a lot of players still don't realize how stupidly powerful Reinforce, especially on ships that also get to roll defense dice. If this missile costs more than 6 points it will be another missile that never sees any competitive play outside of niche combo lists after its first week of release.

Edited by Tvboy

I have seen, "Ordnance Spam," mentioned a few times, but who actually sees this with any regularity? 

I agree that an answer to Reinforce would be great, but too many games go to time as it is and I don't think Mag-Pulses will make that any better. As others have mentioned, Mag-Pulses are much, much more useful for high initiative ships because they allow you to nullify your opponent's attack(s).