Jump to content
LTuser

How many maps do you own?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Revanur said:

I have one mat, but its double sided so sorta 2

1 mat per 2 sides = 1/2. ;)

I have 4, because I have played mega-Epic a few times on a 6x6 table.

I also initially thought the Bespin and DS mats were cool initially, but then decided I preferred the less busy starfield-only.

*****

Also, why do some people call them maps instead of mats??

Edited by Darth Meanie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PaulRuddSays said:

Just one, Hoth. I’ve wanted some others (like Krayt cup) but haven’t managed to acquire them. 

Plus, you really only need one. 

I guess I could use my Twilight Imperium mat as well, but that would be silly. 

 

2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Just one, from 2017 Yavin open.  Why would I need more?

Epic, Armada, running events. Having another player in the family and wanting to be able to run 2 separate games simultaneously.

Anyone got any more reasons? No, wanting more pretty pic mats doesn't count! Even though I will get a Scarif mat if FFG make it, this still comes under the running events excuse for me.

I have 3 (sold my vinyl ones as soon as I got 2 proper ones): Endor, Yavin 2017, and Yavin/DS1 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LTuser said:

So i'm not the only one who made my own starfield mat.

Yeah, I forgot that I bought glitter black felt for my first mat. The glitter got everywhere, so I dropped that one as soon as I could! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many, and only one that I actually like.  I have made some bad X-Wing purchase choices ... basically in a ratio of 2:1 to my good choices.

First, I bought Space Station mat and the Red Nebula mat from GaleForce9.  I rate the Red Nebula as a 6/10, and the Space Station mat (such a good idea in theory!) as a -1/10.  (Yes, -1.  Forcing someone to play on it could expose you to legal liability.)  These are both for sale or trade, to this day.

Second, I bought the F.A.T. colorful fit-together mousepad mats.  They are both very heavy, too colorful, and too busy, and (on a general note) whoever first thought mousepad material -- literally designed for something to slide easily across it -- was a good idea for X-Wing was an idiot.  The one without the asteroids is a 4/10; the one with the asteroids is a 2/10.  Again, both available for sale or trade.  (And will be forever, I imagine.)

Third I bought yoga mats.  72" by 36" at Amazon for $25, cut in half for two mats.  These are fantastic, but because they are beaded, they're not suitable for competitive play.  (You could, with effort, use the beading to count distances and trace lines that are supposed to be only eyeballed.)  For casual play, these are 9/10.  For competitive play, 3/10.

Fourth, and last, I ended up with a GripMat.  Best X-Wing mat ever.  Thin, grippy, almost sticky to play on.  10/10.  Too bad their Kickstarter was an absolute disaster for so many people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Too many, and only one that I actually like.  I have made some bad X-Wing purchase choices ... basically in a ratio of 2:1 to my good choices.

First, I bought Space Station mat and the Red Nebula mat from GaleForce9.  I rate the Red Nebula as a 6/10, and the Space Station mat (such a good idea in theory!) as a -1/10.  (Yes, -1.  Forcing someone to play on it could expose you to legal liability.)  These are both for sale or trade, to this day.

Second, I bought the F.A.T. colorful fit-together mousepad mats.  They are both very heavy, too colorful, and too busy, and (on a general note) whoever first thought mousepad material -- literally designed for something to slide easily across it -- was a good idea for X-Wing was an idiot.  The one without the asteroids is a 4/10; the one with the asteroids is a 2/10.  Again, both available for sale or trade.  (And will be forever, I imagine.)

Third I bought yoga mats.  72" by 36" at Amazon for $25, cut in half for two mats.  These are fantastic, but because they are beaded, they're not suitable for competitive play.  (You could, with effort, use the beading to count distances and trace lines that are supposed to be only eyeballed.)  For casual play, these are 9/10.  For competitive play, 3/10.

Fourth, and last, I ended up with a GripMat.  Best X-Wing mat ever.  Thin, grippy, almost sticky to play on.  10/10.  Too bad their Kickstarter was an absolute disaster for so many people.

Wow, TMI.

(terrific mat information)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One; started with the GaleForce 9 ice planet map, gave that one to a friend and his son when another friend Kickstarted his GripMats and gave me one of those.

It's starting to show some wear, and not everyone likes the texture so it might be the Bespin map that I've been eyeballing for a while.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hujoe Bigs said:

7. Star field, original deathstar, bespin, yavin SO, mandalor SO, 2018 corusant open, and my own made segmented wooden one that was meant to also be a table topper for small tables.

Didn't pick up a Mynock Open mat last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 FFG Star field, Bespin, DS-1, DS-2, A 3 x 6 Double sided Red/Blue Nebula that I picked up from Family Time Games in Indy (No idea who the manufacturer is though), and a 3 X 6 Desert FAT MAT for the surface games I am working on.  The Bespin, DS-1, and DS-2 are all hung on the wall using 2 pieces of balsa and binder clips.  Actually worked pretty well, and they look pretty darn good on the wall, not to mention that they are easy to take down and play on if desired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

8. Only 7 that I use regularly. I first bought one of the GF9 mats (Don't remember if it was the Red Nebula already mentioned or a similar one). Then the official FFG mats came out, and I've gotten each as they've come out. 1 each Starfield, Yavin, Bespin< Endor, Hoth and Starkiller. Then we had a Jedha mat made for our local event (505th Squad Championships) like 2 years ago ( I actually did the graphic work for it myself before we sent it off for printing).

I'm really surprised that they're never done an official Scarif Shieldgate mat. I'd love one.

Edited by Eisai
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. This is"starfield" and can be put together for a variety of different sizes up to 4/6 I believe and has pieces that go around edges for flat sides. Rubbery grip prevents sliding. Only ran me about $32 or so at...lowes or home depot. forget which.

67946077_2443449975700901_163364741870256128_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0. 

At home we play on

HuoFNbql.jpg

Cheap Diy. Neighbours threw out a coffee table, convienently right size, I got it for free. Cheap black, white, red, gold spray paint cans and finished with a gloss over spray. I build drawers under it out of some spare wood. 

The local club has 1 Death Star map (which nobody likes to play on, it's a pain for the eyes), 1 official Starkiller, and the rest are just plain starfields, which everybody prefers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Didn't pick up a Mynock Open mat last year?

Nope, wasn't the biggest fan of it, plus I help supply mats and I don't want someone nitpicking the fact that it was a custom, regardless of how well it was done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got five currently:

  • Bespin
  • 2017 Yavin Open
  • 2018 System Open
  • 2019 System Open
  • Non-FFG starfield mat

I need to figure out a good transport solution for them so they get a bit more use, as I mostly play at my FLGS rather than at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Jarval said:

I've got five currently:

  • Bespin
  • 2017 Yavin Open
  • 2018 System Open
  • 2019 System Open
  • Non-FFG starfield mat

I need to figure out a good transport solution for them so they get a bit more use, as I mostly play at my FLGS rather than at home.

Archery quivers. Plastic, extendable, tubes. Also sold as artists' tubes for posters (but costing twice as much). 2 FFG mats fit in the 'standard' size, more in the fatter size.

Edited by Gilarius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gilarius said:

Archery quivers. Plastic, extendable, tubes. Also sold as artists' tubes for posters (but costing twice as much). 2 FFG mats fit in the 'standard' size, more in the fatter size.

Good call!  Those look very affordable. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many... or I used to own too many in fact. I had all six of the FFG ones at one point, plus two non-FFG starfield mats. I sold to new players the Hoth, Starkiller, Bespin and Endor ones. So now I own only the FFG Starfield and Yavin ones, but I still have my two non-FFG starfields as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...