Thrindal

Proximity Mines appears poorly written

67448634_10101100647695445_8860998761258

Taken word for word this card appears wrong, if you have to discard the card before deploying ships but place the mines beyond distance 5 of enemy ships.  How do you place the mines before deploying if the have to be beyond distance 5 of enemy ships? 

I assume nothing generally with cards but all I can guess is the intent is to...

1.  Declare your intention to place proximity mine's before deploying ships.

2.  Deploy fleets.

3. Place proximity mine's.

The problem is the card isn't explicit, my feeling is this card needs a clarification on the order of operations.

Posted (edited)
On 8/5/2019 at 8:17 PM, Thrindal said:

Taken word for word this card appears wrong, if you have to discard the card before deploying ships but place the mines beyond distance 5 of enemy ships.  How do you place the mines before deploying if the have to be beyond distance 5 of enemy ships? 

I assume nothing generally with cards but all I can guess is the intent is to...

2.  Deploy fleets.

3. Place proximity mine's.

The problem is the card isn't explicit, my feeling is this card needs a clarification on the order of operations.

No no no, you:

1.  Declare your intention to place proximity mines before deploying ships.

2.  Look for enemy ships and realize there aren't any.

3.  Place Proximity Mines wherever the heck you want.

The fact that there can't be enemy ships present before deployment doesn't contradict the wording of the card, or allow you to violate its timing step.  It could even be CYA for future effects like objectives...

Edited by The Jabbawookie

3 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

No no no, you:

2.  Look for enemy ships and realize there aren't any.

3.  Place Proximity Mines wherever the heck you want.

The fact that there can't be enemy ships present before deployment doesn't contradict the wording of the card, or allow you to violate its timing step.  It could even be CYA for future effects like objectives...

Yes taken word for word that is what it says.  There is a lot of future proofing in cards, The CR90 Liberator title for example, that has language that doesn't seem necessary.  I just think the language on this card is bizarre and confusing.  Maybe at some point you will be able to place a ship before deploying fleets but that seems odd as well.  As for future objectives...  At the rate we get new objectives thats at least 3-4 years away?  I don't see that being a consideration that would require this wording.  Maybe there is something planned for Clone Wars factions that required the wording?  Maybe.  It just seems very strange to me.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Captain Ordo N-11 said:

So to be clear you can place them anywhere because there are no enemy ships when you place them?

Currently, yup. Anywhere in the play area beyond distance 1 of each other.

Edited by Ardaedhel

That is some convoluted future proofing text on that card.  I have to think FFG had a need for it beyond just distant future proofing.  My guess would be something in Clone Wars will make this relevant.

curious to see if it's an early-release typo and they meant enemy player edge.. if it is future proofing I can't wait to see what is coming with clone wars