Jump to content
TechnoGolem

What heroes do you think we'll get next?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, phillos said:

Almost Daredevil's entire run was great and season 1 of Jessica Jones was amazing.  Everything else kinda fell down fast over at Netflix.  It did feel like they lacked inspiration when doing anything other than Kingpin and Purple Man.  It just goes to show just how important villains are to the genre.  You can't phone it in with the villains.  If they do Daredevil again I'm gonna have a hard time seeing anyone but Charlie Cox in that role.

I can't be more excited about Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk getting their own show.  I'm also very curious how they handle Moon Knight.  That could be a real interesting show to watch if you know nothing about the premise of Moon Knight.  There have been some really amazing runs on his book and some stinkers. I'm hoping for a Declan Shalvey/Warren Ellis inspired depiction personally.  She-Hulk's show better be equal parts legal procedural and super heroics.

Yes now the picks for the heroes make more sense.  I'd have to imagine this means Moon Knight is somewhere in the future of this game.

Moon Knight is definitely interesting. I’d agree that his books have been a bit all over the place, but there have definitely been some cool runs in there. In terms of adding him to the card game, some cool stuff could be done with it (some way of implementing multiple alter egos would be interesting), but I wonder if he might be a bit to mature for the game? I mean I guess you could certainly tone him down for the purposes of a card game to a moon themed Batman like character (no face carved off Bushman as Nemesis for example!) .

She Hulk seems like a great idea for a series. Legal drama. Super heroics. What’s not to love? Ms Marvel also sounds fun. I could definitely see a coming of age style super hero series working well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moon Knight could be good but I'm expecting a PG-13 version of the character.

I was curious about Ms. Marvel but think I'll avoid that one due to the writer.

She-Hulk has me the most interested. Not enough to get another subscription service though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 23, 2019 at 8:48 AM, urloony said:

I find it interesting that a comic writer who injects politics into their writing is not seen as political, but a reader who points out that fact is.  

And once again you're acting like you're making objective observations of facts and not making statements heavily dependent on your personal opinions.  Just like you did with the lineup of characters.  Let me go back to that to attempt to illustrate the difference.

2 of the 5 characters in the core set are female--This is an objective observation.
2 of the 5 characters in the core set are female, because they're pandering to social justice warriors.--This is you injecting your opinion and making claims that aren't actually backed up by facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2019 at 9:30 PM, TechnoGolem said:

Moon Knight could be good but I'm expecting a PG-13 version of the character.

 

This is somewhat disappointing to me since, even though I'm usually turned off by 'grimdark' crap in comics these days, most of my favorite Moon Knight material has definitely had a pretty R-Rated edge to it.

That said, the comics weren't in the 'MAX' line, so I guess they were basically PG-13 also.  Sort of.  Pretty sure we won't see Bushwacker getting his face ripped off or anything, though!

Edited by KBlumhardt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KBlumhardt said:

This is somewhat disappointing to me since, even though I'm usually turned off by 'grimdark' crap in comics these days, most of my favorite Moon Knight material has definitely had a pretty R-Rated edge to it.

That said, the comics weren't in the 'MAX' line, so I guess they were basically PG-13 also.  Sort of.  Pretty sure we won't see Bushwacker getting his face ripped off or anything, though!

This is a little off topic, but do you have any recommendations for Moon Knight material?  I've been meaning to read some of his stuff (because I like the idea and the bits of stuff I've seen of him in other stuff).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 4:34 AM, Vlad3theImpaler said:

And once again you're acting like you're making objective observations of facts and not making statements heavily dependent on your personal opinions.  Just like you did with the lineup of characters.  Let me go back to that to attempt to illustrate the difference.

2 of the 5 characters in the core set are female--This is an objective observation.
2 of the 5 characters in the core set are female, because they're pandering to social justice warriors.--This is you injecting your opinion and making claims that aren't actually backed up by facts.

Vlad, comics are objectively political, it's not my opinion.  Female superheroes are not new.  When they were introduced it was to add diversity to the superhero lineup.  This has been discussed by Kirby and Lee, as well as many others at length.  There is nothing wrong with adding a diverse lineup of characters to comics or to a game.  However, don't be so naive as to think it's not politically motivated. 

To the moderators: I'm making the above statement with sincerity and not in anyway trying to be "abusive."  Please do not ban me for for sharing opinions or facts.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 10:30 PM, TechnoGolem said:

Moon Knight could be good but I'm expecting a PG-13 version of the character.

I was curious about Ms. Marvel but think I'll avoid that one due to the writer.

She-Hulk has me the most interested. Not enough to get another subscription service though.

Moon Knight and She-Hulk I think can be very successful.  Ms. Marvel is a poorly developed and unknown character to the general public (although one could make the same argument for all of these choices) and as such I think will be less likely to succeed.  It's also a bad start when the Ms. Marvel writer has to delete here Twitter feed due to racist tweets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, phillos said:

Poorly developed?  Did you read her comic?  It was great.  That's just a ridiculous statement.  Maybe you didn't like her, but I'd not agree she was poorly developed.

That is a matter of opinion.  I read a few of her issues and it just didn't click.  She was constantly making references to her religion, ISIS, and being a Muslim in a country that supposedly is anti-Islamic.  She had the potential to be another new kid on the block, but it was like the writer couldn't get past the politicizing of the character and her story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Paladin Ignatius said:

That is a matter of opinion.  I read a few of her issues and it just didn't click.  She was constantly making references to her religion, ISIS, and being a Muslim in a country that supposedly is anti-Islamic.  She had the potential to be another new kid on the block, but it was like the writer couldn't get past the politicizing of the character and her story.

That means you didn't like it.  Not that it was a poorly conceived or executed character.  Those are definite concerns for Muslim Americans.  I'm gonna take a guess that you are not a Muslim American and therefore had a hard time seeing things from her perspective.

Edited by phillos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, slope123 said:

This is a little off topic, but do you have any recommendations for Moon Knight material?  I've been meaning to read some of his stuff (because I like the idea and the bits of stuff I've seen of him in other stuff).

Here's Moon Knight's reading list to help get started.  You can obviously start with more recent books if you don't want the full origin story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, urloony said:

Vlad, comics are objectively political, it's not my opinion.  Female superheroes are not new.  When they were introduced it was to add diversity to the superhero lineup.  This has been discussed by Kirby and Lee, as well as many others at length.  There is nothing wrong with adding a diverse lineup of characters to comics or to a game.  However, don't be so naive as to think it's not politically motivated. 

To the moderators: I'm making the above statement with sincerity and not in anyway trying to be "abusive."  Please do not ban me for for sharing opinions or facts.   

Then why did you make such a big deal about it?  And I don't think it's naive at all to assume that it's not politically motivated.  (Although I didn't even go that far in my statements; I merely said not to assume it is politically motivated.)  
If you really want to know what I "assume," it's that a significant part of the decisions companies make are business-motivated, and when roughly half of the human population is female, it's a smart business decision to try to reach them as a target audience.

Also, I didn't disagree that comics can be political.  I disagreed on you calling Ms. Marvel "propaganda."  That's a more loaded word (and it was you turning the discussion political, once again.

Also also, your part in italics is hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, phillos said:

That means you didn't like it.  Not that it was a poorly conceived or executed character.  Those are definite concerns for Muslim Americans.  I'm gonna take a guess that you are not a Muslim American and therefore had a hard time seeing things from her perspective.

I disagree.  Throughout the Sam Wilson Captain America series, the writers dealt with police brutality, racial profiling, and the Black Lives Matter movement, creating a compelling story that saw one of the characters end up in a coma at the end.  Even though I didn't agree with everything that was said in it, I enjoyed the series and thought it was a good mix of comic book action and social commentary.  If Kamala had been written the same way, it would have been just as good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After all these years, Marvel Legendary has finally added War Machine Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch. These characters should have been added years ago but were neglected in favor of alternate versions of other characters.

This is something I hope FF avoids. We have Captain America coming soon. Please don't give us Falcon or Winter Soldier Cap. Instead give us Falcon and Winter Soldier as themselves. 

There are too many characters I want to see and really don't want to see spots wasted on alternate versions of a hero until many years down the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TechnoGolem said:

After all these years, Marvel Legendary has finally added War Machine Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch. These characters should have been added years ago but were neglected in favor of alternate versions of other characters.

This is something I hope FF avoids. We have Captain America coming soon. Please don't give us Falcon or Winter Soldier Cap. Instead give us Falcon and Winter Soldier as themselves. 

There are too many characters I want to see and really don't want to see spots wasted on alternate versions of a hero until many years down the road.

I 100% agree and hope FFG listens.  However, there is current art in the game for Sam Wilson Captain America, which doesn't bode well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, rsdockery said:

Strictly speaking, it can't go into another thread, because urloony's already managed to get two other threads locked thanks to this nonsense.

Yep...  and it's not going to end.  Which, unfortunately, means I'm probably going to pass on this game after all.  I love comics, especially Marvel comics... I have for the past 40 years... and I love board and card games.  But, getting wrapped up in things that surround my hobbies is a huge part of my enjoyment of said hobbies, and it's obvious that this board is going to be a miserable place to try to have a gaming conversation in. 

One of the things I love most about playing games is having fun conversations about those games with people who are as excited about those games as I am, and it's become obvious that a few noisy people are just going to poison every damned thread about this game with the same tired crap about how 'forced diversity' and characters they don't like and other 'SJW' blah blah blah have 'ruined' comics, and by extension, everything with the Marvel name attached.  I don't have to deal with that crap in the Arkham Horror LCG board, or the places I can chat with people about any number of other games I love... so I think I'd rather be there instead.

Have fun guys and gals... I hope the game turns out great!

Edited by KBlumhardt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TechnoGolem said:

After all these years, Marvel Legendary has finally added War Machine Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch. These characters should have been added years ago but were neglected in favor of alternate versions of other characters.

This is something I hope FF avoids. We have Captain America coming soon. Please don't give us Falcon or Winter Soldier Cap. Instead give us Falcon and Winter Soldier as themselves. 

There are too many characters I want to see and really don't want to see spots wasted on alternate versions of a hero until many years down the road.

 

8 hours ago, urloony said:

I 100% agree and hope FFG listens.  However, there is current art in the game for Sam Wilson Captain America, which doesn't bode well.  

Really?  Where did you see this art?  I also want Steve Rogers Cap to be the first one, but I do think that FFG will make both the Bucky and the Sam Wilson versions because it will give them more packs to sell.  However, I would think that these would be created a year or so into the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Paladin Ignatius said:

 

Really?  Where did you see this art?  I also want Steve Rogers Cap to be the first one, but I do think that FFG will make both the Bucky and the Sam Wilson versions because it will give them more packs to sell.  However, I would think that these would be created a year or so into the game.

Sam Wilson Captain America art appears on the Power of Leadership card. From the art on the Cap pack though it looks like ‘classic’ Captain America is what we should be expecting. 

I would prefer more variety of characters rather than lots of versions of the same Heroes, at least initially. I’d prefer a Falcon deck to a second Cap deck for example, but to be honest it might be cool if they were to release alt hero cards like they do for Sentinels which would use the same signature cards, but have a different ability. That might be cool and could bring some variety to even classic decks.

Edit - he’s also on ‘For Justice’ and ‘Haymaker’ - possibly others.

Edited by FearLord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There is just as many cards featuring Steve Rogers and he's on the box.  In addition I believe the promotional material show Steve on the hero pack.  Though considering so many cards show Sam as Captain America I do wonder if we will get a Falcon deck or if Sam will only appear in his Captain America persona in this game.  I can understand why they'd do that, but I'm a bit unsure on how they will do that if they do that early.  Is he just gonna be an ally in the Steve Roger box or will he be something more.  I think it would be interesting if they had a way to make a Sam/Steve deck work with some overlap.  Though at the same time I'd kinda want both characters to get a full set of cards that were thematic for how that character operates.  Not sure the numbers work out for that especially if they don't share a nemesis.

Edited by phillos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I've stated elsewhere... We don't know the breakdown of the Hero pack. It's possible there are two (or three!) Captain America identity cards that play with the same deck. There are multi-mantle shenanigans they could play without having to make a whole new deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, phillos said:

There is just as many cards featuring Steve Rogers and he's on the box.  In addition I believe the promotional material show Steve on the hero pack.  Though considering so many cards show Sam as Captain America I do wonder if we will get a Falcon deck or if Sam will only appear in his Captain America persona in this game.  I can understand why they'd do that, but I'm a bit unsure on how they will do that if they do that early.  Is he just gonna be an ally in the Steve Roger box or will he be something more.  I think it would be interesting if they had a way to make a Sam/Steve deck work with some overlap.  Though at the same time I'd kinda want both characters to get a full set of cards that were thematic for how that character operates.  Not sure the numbers work out for that especially if they don't share a nemesis.

I agree that both characters should have their own decks.  Falcon America had a different set of allies and enemies than Steve did, so it would make sense to give them their own decks.  However, you're also right that some overlap could occur, especially with the shield as an equipment card, or Demolition Man as an ally for both of them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...