TechnoGolem

What heroes do you think we'll get next?

I think Daredevil would get The Owl as his nemesis. Bullseye is probably big enough to be his own villain pack, or be saved for Elektra since she doesn’t really have any other option.

1 minute ago, gokubb said:

I think Daredevil would get The Owl as his nemesis. Bullseye is probably big enough to be his own villain pack, or be saved for Elektra since she doesn’t really have any other option.

I don't know... The Owl was never on par with Bullseye in terms of villainy and notoriety.  Elektra is tricky, because she's been both a villain and a hero, so there's a potential that she could have both a villain pack and a hero pack.

I do agree though I'd rather the representation in this game be as wide as possible.  If we are getting a Bullseye villain deck I'd prefer to see another Daredevil villain get his nemesis spot.  Still it feels like the nemesis always ambush the heroes when they come out and that feels so thematic for Bullseye.   Rather than him being a mastermind with a plot that needs to be thwarted he just tries to take Daredevil out.

Also I guess there is nothing stopping a villain from being a nemesis and a villain though you'd think that villain pack would offer a replacement nemesis for their respective hero.  Actually I think it would be cool to have another axis of deck creation if they added a bunch of alternate nemesis at some point for our heroes.

Man I wish the Daredevil Netflix show wasn't cancelled. 

6 hours ago, Aephix said:

I think some of the anti-hero characters might work as both nemesis and heroes...Punisher, Magneto, Elektra, and Venom could all sit on either side of the playmat so to speak.

Magneto & Venom 100% need to be player decks.  They're both super popular and are firmly in hero territory now.

1 hour ago, coolcalmjon said:

Magneto & Venom 100% need to be player decks.  They're both super popular and are firmly in hero territory now.

Magneto has been on the hero side in comics for a while now, but the general public is more likely to know him from movies and tv series that show him as a villain.  I think audience expectation would push him more towards being designed as a villain than hero, regardless of current comics.

3 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

Magneto has been on the hero side in comics for a while now, but the general public is more likely to know him from movies and tv series that show him as a villain.  I think audience expectation would push him more towards being designed as a villain than hero, regardless of current comics.

Agreed. Magneto isn’t just the X-men’s most famous adversary, he’s arguably one of Marvel’s better Villains full stop. A card game is actually a fairly good medium to represent some of the nuance of his character I think - that could push game mechanics in interesting ways, but I think it would be a pretty weird idea to go with a heroic Magneto straight away. Nothing is stopping heroes and Villains getting other versions down the road though I suppose. I wouldn’t say no to Magneto as a hero later on, but there’s a lot of x men heroes that would make sense first I think...

9 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

True, but there is another option.  They could have him as a villain in his classic purple and red costume, and as a hero in his new white costume.

Image result for magnetoRelated image

9 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

You know... Out of left field, but I'm wondering...

Tigra?

Maybe, but she’s already an Ally. I presume it will be some time before we see anyone who has a card in the game get their own deck. I think the ones in Aspect decks are more likely than the ones in hero decks, as they’d be easier to change...

4 minutes ago, Paladin Ignatius said:

I personally would prefer to see Misty Knight.

Sorry, I should have said non-movie, non-MCU. I like Misty Knight a lot (especially with a robot arm), but she's in the MCU.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

Sorry, I should have said non-movie, non-MCU. I like Misty Knight a lot (especially with a robot arm), but she's in the MCU.

Under those criteria, I'd say America Chavez, who they've been pushing really hard as of late.

Edited by KBlumhardt

3 hours ago, CitizenKeen said:

I don't disagree. I was just going through a mental checklist of non-movie, female, Avengers-adjacent heroes.

Spectrum (Monica Rambeau) would be pretty awesome, especially if they were to pull some cards out of Nextwave....

7 minutes ago, rsdockery said:

Kate Bishop?

The list is long. I was just throwing out Tigra because I hadn't seen her suggested, and I wanted to write it down so I could be like "Ooh, I was right!"

I think doing Kate Bishop before Clint Barton as a hero would be... interesting.

38 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

The list is long. I was just throwing out Tigra because I hadn't seen her suggested, and I wanted to write it down so I could be like "Ooh, I was right!"

I think doing Kate Bishop before Clint Barton as a hero would be... interesting.

Honestly, if they were to come out with a Kate Bishop and Clint Barton Hawkeye decks on the same day, but I only had cash for one, I'd totally get Kate's.  I love Clint (especially after the Fraction/Aja run), but Kate has been my preferred Hawkeye for a while now.  For me the ideal would be a deluxe pack with both of them and Lucky as an ally that they keep trading off between them.

2 hours ago, Aephix said:

Honestly, if they were to come out with a Kate Bishop and Clint Barton Hawkeye decks on the same day, but I only had cash for one, I'd totally get Kate's.  I love Clint (especially after the Fraction/Aja run), but Kate has been my preferred Hawkeye for a while now.  For me the ideal would be a deluxe pack with both of them and Lucky as an ally that they keep trading off between them.

I think "Hawkeye" is the perfect pack for two mantles/identities. (So, same 15 signature cards, but different Hero/Alter Ego card.)

Posted (edited)

It's many fold.  Hero names have brand recognition so when coming up with a new hero sometimes it's safer to use an older hero as a legacy for a newer concept.  In addition you are under strict editor control of what you work on when doing one of these big books from Marvel or DC.  Also writers for the big two comic publishers use work for hire contracts which means the writers and artists don't own any of the things they create for the company.  So they are actively disincentivized from using their unique creations when working for these companies.  Jim Starlin is getting alot of recognition now that Thanos is a household name, but I doubt he's reaping a huge financial benefit from it unfortunately.  At least they are giving him his owed recognition.  That was what Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko were so mad about for all those years.

Mostly nowadays creators pay their bills and earn a reputation working for the big two and then save up and launch a creator owned book at some place like Image when they want to try out what they think are their better ideas.  Lots of great stuff have come out in the last 10 or 20 years because of that.  For example Deadly Class, Astro City, Low, Walking Dead, Saga, The Boys, Invincible, Black Science ...  A couple decades ago these sorts of things were coming out at places like DC's Vertigo line where there was more creator control on the books. 

Edited by phillos

2 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

What’s with heroes being reused?  Has the imagination run dry when creating new heroes?

Especially with Marvel, there is a history of doing alternative versions of heroes due to the old What If?! comics.  Some of those get just introduced as alt covers (Gwenpool, Spider Gwen) and end up popular enough that it motivates Marvel to make the effort to flesh them out into entirely new characters.  In other cases, alter egos are given a rest for various reasons (Bruce Banner, Hank Pym) and they want to keep the hero "brand" going so they introduce a new version of that character with a different man behind the mask (Amadeus Cho, Scott Lang).

On 8/15/2019 at 5:22 AM, Vlad3theImpaler said:

Would the intended audience for the LCG consist more of comic book readers or solely movie watchers? Just wondering

Personally, when I think of Magneto I think of him as the X-Man he has been for a long time instead of the Gandalf movie version