TechnoGolem

What heroes do you think we'll get next?

6 hours ago, phillos said:

Well the term they use is alter ego.  So it's doesn't need to be a private life.  It just needs to be a different life from the one behind the mask (if they wear a mask).  The X-Men for instance are students as well as a super hero team.  Doctor Strange is the "Sorcerer Supreme", but he also could be something else like the "Time Stone Bearer", "Guardian of the Sanctum Sanctorum" or "Student of the Mystical Arts".  I think mechanically one would need to place more of an emphasis on fighting and direct confrontation and the other would have to focus on growth and/or indirect confrontation.  For example She Hulk either punches villains in the face as her Hulk-ed out persona or she fights them in court as her lawyer persona.  Both public lives.

I think realizing these different personas for each hero is the thing I appreciate most about this design.

Good point. There is Cyclops the superhero, but there is also Scott Summers the man. 

There is more to the characters than a mask and catchy name. The duality of who they are and how it clashes with being a superhero is a mahor compelling part of superhero stories.

9 hours ago, phillos said:

I'll be so hyped if they put out a Doctor Strange deck.

Me too. Granted, most of my experience with the Marvel universe is either XMen comics or the MCU so I can't speak to the comic version, but I really liked the Dr. Strange movie.

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2019 at 12:40 PM, gokubb said:

I love how Deadpool and Venom (hero) are considered classic iconic now. Man, have comics changed!

Yeah, it is pretty crazy.  I've always loved the Venom Lethal Protector character, though I'm hoping they do Agent Venom and/or Venom Space Knight.  However, if they don't, regular Eddie Brock Venom would still be awesome!

Image result for eddie brock

Edited by Paladin Ignatius
Removed unwanted text

Reading Donny Cates Venom right now, and I could 100% go for a Venom hero deck w/ a Carnage nemesis to match.

I feel like you could do a lot with the alter-ego mechanic as well.  Having Venom feel like this thing you are weary of letting run rampant too long, maybe you lose some of your decision making ability if Venom "takes over".

18 hours ago, coolcalmjon said:

They will, it's just about hoping he comes out before his next movie which is still like 2 years away.

The design possibilities are interesting, and maybe he has a meditate form / hero form.  Build up spell counters as he meditates and then spend them when playing spell cards to boost them.

Hopefully they know the horror direction the MCU is going and tap into his comics horror vibe to match:

clean.jpg

Oh, they could even do something funky like an astral plane version on one side and material plane on the other.  There are some really interesting things that can be done with this system.  

Namor the Submariner could be fun. Ant Man / Giant Man could be interesting mechanically. Wasp’s alter ego could potentially be quite different as a fashion designer... so many cool possibilities though. The Sentry would be awesome - not sure whether he’d be done as a flawed hero or a troubled Villain though...

On 8/8/2019 at 11:20 AM, CitizenKeen said:

Of note, the learn to play guide says we can look forward to "Captain America, Ms. Marvel, and Thor", so, you know, I'm pretty sure that's the immediate lineup.

Which iteration of Thor do you think we'll get?  It looks like they are going with recent comics so my bet is Jane Foster.  Maybe time release with the movie?

7 minutes ago, urloony said:

Which iteration of Thor do you think we'll get?  It looks like they are going with recent comics so my bet is Jane Foster.  Maybe time release with the movie?

Based on the cover art of the game, original Thor. 

1 hour ago, urloony said:

It's been a year and a half since the end of Jane Foster's run as Thor, so I doubt it'll be her.  Gotta be the Odinson.

Wild speculation time.

There have been multiple, identifiable Captain Americas, Ms. Marvels, and Thors.

That seems like a small coincidence.

What if the packs have more than one identity card?

This theory's weak point is that we already have Carol Danvers.

I don't think it's likely, but it occurred to me as a small possibility.

Assuming there's only one Thor in the pack, it's Don Blake.

30 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

Wild speculation time.

There have been multiple, identifiable Captain Americas, Ms. Marvels, and Thors.

That seems like a small coincidence.

What if the packs have more than one identity card?

This theory's weak point is that we already have Carol Danvers.

I don't think it's likely, but it occurred to me as a small possibility.

Assuming there's only one Thor in the pack, it's Don Blake.

It would be plausible to have a “Multiverse Hero Pack” series that contains like 40 different versions of released hero cards. 

16 minutes ago, Derrault said:

It would be plausible to have a “Multiverse Hero Pack” series that contains like 40 different versions of released hero cards. 

But, I mean, it's not a multiverse.

Sam Wilson (and Bucky) has not only been Captain America, he's the current MCU holder of the shield, and he's depicted as Captain America, not as Falcon, in the cards in the game currently.

Jane Thor is going to be Thor in the next Thor movie.

These aren't "what if Kal El crashed into a cave in Gotham" questions. These are mainline Marvel comics questions.

I think the fact that Sam Wilson is Captain America in the Marvel Champions cards is telling. That can't have been an accident.

6 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

But, I mean, it's not a multiverse.

Sam Wilson (and Bucky) has not only been Captain America, he's the current MCU holder of the shield, and he's depicted as Captain America, not as Falcon, in the cards in the game currently.

Jane Thor is going to be Thor in the next Thor movie.

These aren't "what if Kal El crashed into a cave in Gotham" questions. These are mainline Marvel comics questions.

I think the fact that Sam Wilson is Captain America in the Marvel Champions cards is telling. That can't have been an accident.

Call it what you will, the name isn’t as important as the concept. 

8 hours ago, Derrault said:

Call it what you will, the name isn’t as important as the concept. 

Normally, I'd say yes, but in this game, where the alter-ego is as important as the hero, it matters who's wearing the mask as much as what the mask is.

My only wish is that they would speed things up. At 6-8 heroes a year, I feel it will take forever to see some of my favourite characters. New Mutants, X-Force and X-Statics will probably never make it... Even the Inhumans (new or old) feel less likely to show up...

3 hours ago, xchan said:

My only wish is that they would speed things up. At 6-8 heroes a year, I feel it will take forever to see some of my favourite characters. New Mutants, X-Force and X-Statics will probably never make it... Even the Inhumans (new or old) feel less likely to show up...

Hopefully there might be some deluxe expansions that introduce new teams (like 4 Xmen heroes vs Magneto Scenario or Fantastic Four vs Dr Doom Scenario etc) which could expand things a little quicker and also add some thematic conflicts all at once...

Posted (edited)

Yeah I'm assuming those campaign boxes will have multiple heroes in it.  Maybe we are wrong in assuming that and it's all villains and scenario cards but I think it's a missed opportunity to introduce teams of heroes in those boxes like the the Guardians, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Heroes For Hire etc.

With regards for Captain America we have cards both depicting Steve and Sam as Captain America in the core set and it's clearly Steve on the cover.  Will we see a Sam as Captain America as a identity or an ally?   I kinda hope he's at least an ally as Falcon along with Bucky in the Captain America deck already announced after the Green Goblin pack. 

The idea of the first two packs coming with multiple identity cards sounds awesome.  Though they missed a trick by not doing that with Spiderman as well.  Carol in the core set is her Captain Marvel persona.  When she was Ms. Marvel she looked different.  It's possible we could see that different version of Carol in Kamala's deck if your theory holds true, but the issue with this is they have a completely different power set.  So that wouldn't work too well if they need to share cards.

Captain America coming with multiple ID cards for Sam, Steve or even Bucky would be pretty awesome though.  While their approach to confrontation is very different, Captain America as a symbol should be a unifying theme so I could see them structuring a deck for multiple characters to share.  That would be very interesting.  I'm not expecting it, but it would be pretty cool.

Edited by phillos

1 hour ago, phillos said:

Captain America coming with multiple ID cards for Sam, Steve or even Bucky would be pretty awesome though.  While their approach to confrontation is very different, Captain America as a symbol should be a unifying theme so I could see them structuring a deck for multiple characters to share.  That would be very interesting.  I'm not expecting it, but it would be pretty cool.

There wouldn't be the space in the release to give each character the proper attention. There's more to the hero than just the identity card. The fifteen cards that go with Steve Roger's version of Cap need to be about his Cap. Sam's fifteen cards would need to be completely different to make it feel like his version of Cap. Plus, they don't share the same Nemesis. Just don't think it's possible to pull it off well while still trying to give players a complete constructed deck in the hero pack.

I think it will be telling what Ally comes with Captain America’s 15 specific cards - I’d expect either Bucky or Falcon. If it isn’t Falcon, I’d probably expect a deck for him before too long.

Wonderman is another character that would work quite well in this format- his alter ego is a movie star which could provide some design space and he could have Grim Reaper as a Nemesis...

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:04 PM, KBlumhardt said:

It's been a year and a half since the end of Jane Foster's run as Thor, so I doubt it'll be her.  Gotta be the Odinson.

Don't be so sure on that. Jane Foster will be replacing Thor in the next movie. They might just release her to try and get a boost in sales with the movie. I think most would prefer get Odinson first.

9 hours ago, TechnoGolem said:

Don't be so sure on that. Jane Foster will be replacing Thor in the next movie. They might just release her to try and get a boost in sales with the movie. I think most would prefer get Odinson first.

It sounds like Thor will be the next hero after Ms Marvel, so likely releasing in March. Thor 4 is still going to be a few years away at that point, so I’d expect Donald Blake Thor.