TechnoGolem

What heroes do you think we'll get next?

We already know the next two heroes are Captain America and Miss Marvel but what other heroes do you think will get as singles next year?

Black Widow and Dr. Strange both seem like safe bets. Both characters are well known and have movies coming out next year that can help boost sales.

Marvel has been pushing Spider Gwen and Miles lately so they also seem like a safe bet.

Shang-Chi or Lady Thor also have a decent chance due to getting movies. I know the game is based on the comics but, let's be honest, most people probably know these characters due to the movies.

I'm a bit doubtful they will make a core pack for the Eternals. They may be getting a movie but it sounds like they made some major changes to the characters. FFG or Disney might have problems with which version they want the other to use. Really hope FFG sticks to comics for a uniform art style. I never touched the movie packs from Marvel Legendary.

I could see the Fantastic Four or the X-Men getting a release towards the end of the year. We'll probably get a set based on Guardians of the Galaxy next.

I've seen where people have heard the first campaign box will have Thanos stuff. If so and those end up containing hero cards, I imagine we'll get Adam Warlock and Gamora. Maybe Moondragon. Not sure if they would do Nebula, as in the comics she's more a villain than she is in the MCU. 

I imagine they would follow a similar pattern with the hero packs, alternating between classic characters and then some of the newer, lesser known ones. 

Posted (edited)

Great question - I think you are on the right track for a lot of it.  With the MCU cracking open a lot of interesting characters, I think we're in for a lot of good stuff even if they base releases around movies/Disney+ shows.

samnee-black-widow-leap.jpg

Black Widow is a shoe-in for Spring 2020.  Hope we get art from that Waid/Samnee run.

Strange's movie isn't out til 2021, so we'll likely see him & Wanda then.

shang-chi1.jpg

Shang-Chi is also 2021 but we could see him sooner.  Hope they use a lot of that art from Hickman's Avengers run for his deck.

Gwen & Miles also seem like good choices for early heroes.

They also seem to bringing the Midnight Sons around, so I could see Blade & Ghost Rider in the works.

The cover might also be a clear hint of what's to come - Zemo, Thanos, Vision, etc.

Edited by coolcalmjon

Based purely on the cover art: Thor and Rocket Raccoon. 

It doesn’t seem like they’re drawing on the MCU, but I’d still like to see Paul Rudd’s Antman and Lily Evangeline’s Wasp

5 hours ago, Moon-beast King said:

some characters I hope we get as heroes in future expansions include Slapstick, Spleepwalker, Darkhawk, Moon Knight, and Deadpool.

Wow, I can't even remember the last time I heard about Slapstick or Sleepwalker. Have to admit that it would make me smile if they were announced.

I'd wager we're going to get alternating releases of classic iconic heroes and the more new or replacement heroes so:

Iconic:

Thor

Hulk

Black Widow

Doctor Strange

Hawkeye

Deadpool

Venom (hero)

Wolverine

New:

Miles Morales

Nova (Sam)

Spider-Gwen

Squirrel Girl

Ms. America Chavez

Falcon

Silk

Lady Thor (closer to Thor 4)

I'd wager that the Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men and Fantastic Four will appear in big box expansions 

3 hours ago, Joelist said:

They could do a surprise DC crossover and give us Snowflame...

I'm guessing you watch Linkara videos. Seems that's the only reason anyone knows that obscure character.

It would be interesting if they had a DC variant that was compatible. I know a lot of people like to play Heroclix mixing them together.

54 minutes ago, TechnoGolem said:

I'm guessing you watch Linkara videos. Seems that's the only reason anyone knows that obscure character.

It would be interesting if they had a DC variant that was compatible. I know a lot of people like to play Heroclix mixing them together.

Believe it or not many moons ago I actually saw the one comic he appeared in (New Guardians #2) at a local comic store which sadly (like most comic stores) has since closed. Once I understood who and more importantly what he was I just started laughing. I should have bought it as IIRC it is something of a collectors item now. 

7 hours ago, CrimsonPaladin said:

They've been around since the 90s and have hugely successful recent movies. Their brand is probably stronger than the Fantastic Four or other more traditional Marvel mainline characters.

It always makes me sad to see how far the FF has fallen. 😥

Posted (edited)

Well the term they use is alter ego.  So it's doesn't need to be a private life.  It just needs to be a different life from the one behind the mask (if they wear a mask).  The X-Men for instance are students as well as a super hero team.  Doctor Strange is the "Sorcerer Supreme", but he also could be something else like the "Time Stone Bearer", "Guardian of the Sanctum Sanctorum" or "Student of the Mystical Arts".  I think mechanically one would need to place more of an emphasis on fighting and direct confrontation and the other would have to focus on growth and/or indirect confrontation.  For example She Hulk either punches villains in the face as her Hulk-ed out persona or she fights them in court as her lawyer persona.  Both public lives.

I think realizing these different personas for each hero is the thing I appreciate most about this design.

Edited by phillos

I think it might be possible to work with an alter-ego that isn't so much a 'private life' as 'what do you do when there isn't a supervillain to be punched right now'.  Stephen Strange is in the Sanctum Sanctorum, studying books in the library, selecting which artefacts to carry today and studying alternate realities.  So, let's say that his alter ego ability is something like

• Action: Look at the top (some number) cards of a deck, you may put any of them in the discard pile.

Then there would be signature cards for Sanctum Sanctorum, Library Research, Book of the Vishanti.

You could do similar things with some of the X-men, I'm sure.

4 hours ago, phillos said:

I'll be so hyped if they put out a Doctor Strange deck.

They will, it's just about hoping he comes out before his next movie which is still like 2 years away.

The design possibilities are interesting, and maybe he has a meditate form / hero form.  Build up spell counters as he meditates and then spend them when playing spell cards to boost them.

Hopefully they know the horror direction the MCU is going and tap into his comics horror vibe to match:

clean.jpg