Crimsonwarlock

Ethics Question: Concessions

14 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I'll take "How to escalate a thread in 9 words" for 500

Exactly. I think this is our best chance of locking it and being done with it. 

Posted (edited)

I try to be a patient man. I have dealt with double standards, blatant insults, utter disregard for logic, misrepresentation of previous events. I'm used to seeing that in online forums. But I draw the line at folks assuming support of political parties and political supports. This is a game. We paint little plastic toys and push them around a table making pew pew noises. You bring real world politics and parties and such into it, your asking for trouble.

The 1+1=2....Perhaps that demonstrated how different views and perspectives of situations can be entirely different (my degree is in education, the social sciences that include history, social problems and related areas. Not grammar or electronics. Not everyone has on in electronics such as yourself). There really should not be such unreasoning hatred and angst over a difference in opinion on a ethical question in a game. I think it is not, you think it is. It could have been dropped at that point.

Edited by EVIL INC

I stopped going to tournament thanks to those practices... not that I condemn them - their logic is sound and the people using them are not killing anyone or breaking any law. But definitely that thought me that the tournament scene is not what I need to have fun. And by the way imho tournaments have eccessive weight in game development taking game far from the way I like them to go.

3 minutes ago, CapitanGuinea said:

I stopped going to tournament thanks to those practices... not that I condemn them - their logic is sound and the people using them are not killing anyone or breaking any law. But definitely that thought me that the tournament scene is not what I need to have fun. And by the way imho tournaments have eccessive weight in game development taking game far from the way I like them to go.

Same here.  I never went to an X-Wing tournament, but I've attended tournaments for other games I play.  I eventually realized that I was paying money to have considerably less fun than I could have for free on a casual game night, and I haven't been to a tournament since.

I understand that developers want to support tournaments, but it does get a little irksome when they seem to neglect casual play as well.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, CapitanGuinea said:

Tournaments helped me become a better player. paying closer attention to the details of the wording in the rules. and paying closer attention to what i am doing not to mention learning new army builds and tactics.

I DEFINITELY see your reason for stopping going to them though. I have not been to one in several years. practices such as this. The pounding down trying to table  humiliating them instead of just calling the game so you can move on to the next one. The higher amount of "accidental" cheating such as intentionally rolling dice into models to move them or onto scenery in order to call cocked dice if it is a result you dont like, the magical telescoping tape measure, measuring arms and making them to reach and premeasure. the list is endless it seems (yes I know those other examples I provided are outright cheating but it happens and you know how it is when you call them out on it. they deny it and stop when they are being watched and your the one who ends up looking bad and docked points for sportsmanship) and you dont really see that stuff NEAR as much in friendly or casual games between buddies. It takes the FUN out of the game and sometimes, I miss the days when I always went by RAI instead of RAW. perhaps thats why I am trying to get away from the competitive scene and go back to RAI. 

Edited by EVIL INC

21 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

99% of tournaments are fine. I've experienced far more questionable behavior at casual nights than tournaments tbh. Try a smaller local one sometime, they are quite fun.

For me, it's not so much any questionable behavior as it is the "play-to-win" mentality.  I want to play to have fun, regardless of winning or losing.  And that can be far more easily achieved at casual game nights; if X-Wing is anything like card games in that regard.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Do I need a Username said:

99% of tournaments are fine. I've experienced far more questionable behavior at casual nights than tournaments tbh. Try a smaller local one sometime, they are quite fun.

Your right, although I think questionable behavior happens at most tourneys. It is just a few players who give the rest a bad name and for many of us, even one instance can leave a sour taste. it is also the luck of the draw as to who you get stuck with. your also right about caual games. I differentiate between casual games and games within a gaming group (buddies). Buddies are less likely to than a casual game strangers. Thats why I like "at home" games more than shop games.

We have a player in our group who... well to put it mildly, just sucks at miniature games of all kinds but still finds ways to have fun and make games interesting. before the game he would make his own agenda and if he got it done, he considered the game a win for him which led to us trying to outsmart him and figure out his game plan. often forgetting the winning or losing in the normal sense. Sometimes, he would be out to assassinate a particular model he did not like to to our ongoing games and it playing a big role in an earlier game. Sometimes, it would be to hold a certain objective because it looked like it might contain loot. You never knew and these were some of our most fun games.

jj48, i think miniature games are a little different. not because the play to win mentality is different but because it leaves more room for that. With my card games, it was the luck of the draw, order of play and so forth. Not as much room. If your mana screwed, your mana screwed ya know. Losses are much easier to accept because a lot of it is taken out of your hands. I've seen that with casual miniature games, you see a lot of folks just out to win because there is more time invested per game and folks are often trying new builds setting up for tourneys. I can be wrong on this though because thats anecdotal and i suck at the card games and not that great at miniatures games.

the play to win mentality you DO see more often at tourneys though. prizes and notoriety and all that.

Edited by EVIL INC

11 hours ago, JJ48 said:

For me, it's not so much any questionable behavior as it is the "play-to-win" mentality.  I want to play to have fun, regardless of winning or losing.  And that can be far more easily achieved at casual game nights; if X-Wing is anything like card games in that regard.

I  genuinely don't think a play to win mentality shows up as much as you think based on my limited experience with card games.  You might get someone dead-set on wining the tournament round one, but unless you stay in the danger zone of just the edge of cut most people will either have accepted they can't win and be there to have fun, or be confident enough in their own abilities that they won't be a jerk.  As a tournament goes on, you'll be matched more to people of relatively equal skill / equal lists.  Again, I see the play to win mentality (or rather, the tilting that can come from it) as much at game nights as I do at tournaments.  I'd wholeheartedly recommend checking some local tournaments out - not necessarily anything big like a system open (although those are a blast) but something like a quarterly kit tournament where you can get in some games, get some swag, and maybe meet some new people.  If you find its not your thing after doing one, that's fine but I'd recommend at least one.