Sign in to follow this  
theBitterFig

How Good Are Autoblasters? Actual Mathematical Results!

Just now, Hiemfire said:

Depends on what else is in the Upsilon's list. The -1 defense die from the tractor tokens could very well permit a kill shot from another ship or ships where the 4 die primary wouldn't.

I honestly have seen 4 dice fail to hit. but if they do hit, whether it be 1 or 2 damage, its usually the same as letting the next shot get thru. You basically have to be doing like 2 or 3 damage after defenses on the second shot (more than 1) for it really to be worthwhile over the 4die primary again. 

And for misses, you do have to remember that 4die shots will miss and 3 die tractors will also miss. 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Better than a 4 die primary shot to the face?? Idk.

For Tractor vs Primary, if you have big enough of a swarm, if you can pull an opponent a range-band closer (that is, a tractor attack creates a net two-dice swing), it can easily be better.  That also ignores stranding someone on a rock.  Big enough is like four 2-dice attacker, or three 3-dice.

For Ion... well, it's kinda situational.  4-dice Ion is basically an Ion Torpedo.  There's potentially a lot of gain to be had, if you can control where your opponent lands next.  A large part is that it becomes easier for the Upsilon to keep guns-on next round, too.  It'd be better to have a Range 3 Ion and a Range 1 primary, than a Range 3 primary and round without shots.

HLC seems like it'll be good in Epic on Upsilons.  Probably not too hard to get bullseye against huge ships, and then you're chucking 5 dice.

Edited by theBitterFig

5 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

I honestly have seen 4 dice fail to hit. but if they do hit, whether it be 1 or 2 damage, its usually the same as letting the next shot get thru. You basically have to be doing like 2 or 3 damage after defenses on the second shot (more than 1) for it really to be worthwhile over the 4die primary again. 

And for misses, you do have to remember that 4die shots will miss and 3 die tractors will also miss. 

Tractors on Upsilon is 4 die.

I've used autoblasters twice with an upsilon.  So far nothing to show for it.  At two points it doesn't dramatically impact my bid.   That being said I'm not going to trying to create a combo with tn-3465.  It's for fun.

33 minutes ago, reqent said:

That being said I'm not going to trying to create a combo with tn-3465.

Oh, the visuals...

Flanked by an Upsilon, the enemy fighter gets smacked hard by an autoblaster cannon, potentially 5 dice strong, (+1 shuttle ability, +1 range one, +1 bullseye) and then allow for TN-3465 to just casually cruise up along side... 

Yeah it be epic if only first order had something like fifth brother.  Also an opponent that didn't see that coming a mile away!  I can dream through. ...

1 hour ago, LagJanson said:

Oh, the visuals...

Flanked by an Upsilon, the enemy fighter gets smacked hard by an autoblaster cannon, potentially 5 dice strong, (+1 shuttle ability, +1 range one, +1 bullseye) and then allow for TN-3465 to just casually cruise up along side... 

I mean, at that point, there's likely no way that you'd miss, so Autoblasters is going to add nothing.

5 dice with Focus and TN-3465 has only like a 3% miss chance against 3 green dice with Focus.

3 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Tractors on Upsilon is 4 die.

3 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

For Tractor vs Primary, if you have big enough of a swarm, if you can pull an opponent a range-band closer (that is, a tractor attack creates a net two-dice swing), it can easily be better.  That also ignores stranding someone on a rock.  Big enough is like four 2-dice attacker, or three 3-dice.

This. A 4-die tractor shot is hard to dodge, especially since - unlike an ion cannon - I only need 1 uncancelled hit to fully tractor a small ship, not 2. Dragging a range band closer and reducing agility is quite realistic and that's a huge shift with 2-dice fire. Plus, Lieutenant Rivas gets a free lock when you tractor someone (it's a 'red or orange token'), which is nice.

1 minute ago, Magnus Grendel said:

This. A 4-die tractor shot is hard to dodge, especially since - unlike an ion cannon - I only need 1 uncancelled hit to fully tractor a small ship, not 2. Dragging a range band closer and reducing agility is quite realistic and that's a huge shift with 2-dice fire. Plus, Lieutenant Rivas gets a free lock when you tractor someone (it's a 'red or orange token'), which is nice.

You also just need a tractor token on the target for it to have the reduced defense dice, it doesn't have to be fully "Tractored".

"Tractor

A ship is TRACTORED while it has equal to or greater than a specific number of tractor tokens, according to its size: a small ship requires at least one tractor token, a medium ship requires at least two tractor tokens, and a large ship require at least three tractor tokens. A tractor token is a orange token.

After a ship becomes tractored, the player whose effect applied the tractor token may choose one of the following effects:

• Perform a barrel roll using the [1 Straight] maneuver template. The player applying the effect selects the direction of the barrel roll and the ship's final position.
  • Perform a boost using the [1 Straight] maneuver template.

This move can cause the ship to move through or overlap an obstacle.

During the Engagement Phase, a ship with one or more tractor tokens rolls one fewer defense die.

• Some special weapons inflict tractor tokens instead of dealing damage."

28 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I mean, at that point, there's likely no way that you'd miss, so Autoblasters is going to add nothing.

5 dice with Focus and TN-3465 has only like a 3% miss chance against 3 green dice with Focus.

Oh I agree.