Followers 0
plebeianmaw

Martial Law

41 posts in this topic

official response - looks like I was correct. Hooray!  :D

Damon Stone
To Me

Today at 1:21 PM
The first part of the attachment says that rather than being attached to a character which all attachments must attach to by default, it attaches to an opponent’s location. The next line is the effect which kneels the attached location. That effect will always be active since it has no duration and not trigger requirement. Any attempt to stand it will just reassert the effect, kneeling it.

On Apr 4, 2014, at 11:40 AM, etaywah@yahoo.com wrote:

> Message from:
> Eric Taylor

> E-mail:
etaywah@yahoo.com

> Rule Question:
> I'm trying to settle a discussion about Martial Law - Baratheon Card from Battle of Ruby Ford pack.

> I believe this card is up for some debate.

> The card states:
> "Attach to an opponent's location. 
> Kneel that location."

> It doesn't say "Choose and kneel a location" as most response cars do, it is two separate commands and each are in separate sentences implying they are not in relation to one another.

> #1) Attach to an opponent's location. Do this so the attachment has a card in play that it is legally attache to and is discarded along with that card.
> #2) Kneel that location. Not "Response: When attached to an opponents location, kneel that location."

> Does the attached card stand during the standing phase?

Damon Stone
Associate LCG Designer
Fantasy Flight Games
dstone@fantasyflightgames.com

I hate to say this, but, if there was a ruling on this type of card effect in the past that supported what ktom was saying, then that means Damon might be incorrect.... and we all know he's been incorrect before.

Is there anything on this forum from the past with an official ruling that is opposite of what Damon said?

I hate to say this, but, if there was a ruling on this type of card effect in the past that supported what ktom was saying, then that means Damon might be incorrect.... and we all know he's been incorrect before.

Is there anything on this forum from the past with an official ruling that is opposite of what Damon said?

Edit: I'm fully down for someone else researching this further so it is played properly in tournament play. Who is considered the "final word" in the rules for FFG?

Edited by Etaywah

Personally, I think it should say:

"Attach to a location.

If attached location is standing, kneel that location."

Otherwise, I believe it is up for interpretation.  The interpretation previously was exactly what ktom had said.

Edit: I'm fully down for someone else researching this further so it is played properly in tournament play. Who is considered the "final word" in the rules for FFG?

You have an email from one of the designers.   While i don't personally like this method, what u have is law and accepted as a rule.  I do suggest you keep the email handy so you can show it to any TO in any events you go to.  To save yourself the potential argument you may mention it to a TO before the game since, as Bomb points out, it has been a long standing understanding that it did not keep the location knelt.  

Edited by Slothgodfather

Edit:Who is considered the "final word" in the rules for FFG?

Damon is.  But Damon is also known for handing out incorrect rulings when people ask him via Rules Questions or even just in person.  Sometimes he doesn't take all the information into account, and sometimes he ignore the old rulings which were grandfathered in from the CCG era.

Personally, I think this ruling should stand.  It makes some cards much better than they previously were (Tyrion's Chain), and it adds just a little extra restriction on Pyromancer's Cache (though it usually won't matter too much imo).

I don't know if it can stand. If you apply the same principle to Enslaved and Melisandre's Favor (both say "Take control of attached character," with no explicitly stated point of initiation) then you get control effects that reassert themselves passively every time control changes. And if a character ever gets one of those from two different players, then the game implodes. Is there a rule for first player resolving paradoxes?

I don't know if it can stand. If you apply the same principle to Enslaved and Melisandre's Favor (both say "Take control of attached character," with no explicitly stated point of initiation) then you get control effects that reassert themselves passively every time control changes. And if a character ever gets one of those from two different players, then the game implodes. Is there a rule for first player resolving paradoxes?

From the FAQ (3.28 on page 11):  

"Unless otherwise stated (for example, with a specified duration), the change of control is permanent until the card that switched sides leaves play or control of the card switches again via a card effect.

Note that attachments that grant control effects end when the attachment granting control leaves play."

There is no paradox.  The newest card that gives control is the one that counts.

Damon says he made a mistake while answering the earlier email. The "Kneel that location" text is passive, activating as a one-shot when the attachment is originally played.

Update on official response:

To Damon Stone; Nate French

Today at 1:10 PM

Saw this on the FFG boards today (Note: Copied email from above).

This is a reversal of the way "Attach to a location. Kneel that location." has been played since Burned Fields back in the Iron Throne Edition of the CCG.

Is this a brand new ruling? If so, the location you attach Pyromancer's Cache to stays knelt, too. Also, this means if I am playing Tyrion's Chain, I get to kneel all of an opponent's locations every standing phase, the way Lannisport Brothel kneels its attached character every standing phase.

Just want to make sure this isn't a mistake.

----------

Nate French

Today at 1:17 PM

Kevin,

I’m pretty sure this ruling was a mistake, the “kneel that location” should be a one-time effect, when the attachment enters play.

Will check with Damon. There may have been something else he was thinking of.

Nate

----------

Damon Stone

Today at 2:26 PM

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong ruleset. This causes a passive kneel. It is not a constant effect. It resolves just that one time. It is what I get for answering AGoT questions when I’m neck deep in the rules of another game. Mia Culpa.

Lol he not only made the ruling but defended it and explained WHY in the original email, but now it's just because he looked at the wrong ruleset. That made me giggle.

And like that.  It was done.   Hence my distaste for the e-mail method.  lol.  There goes my Tyrion's Chain + Climbing Ladder deck...

Edited by Slothgodfather

lol ktom, just couldn't let it go, eh?

????

OKTarg and Vaapad like this