Sign in to follow this  
Kani Kantai

The SSD Masters Roll of Honour

I played 2 games vs an SSD (different opponents) using Leia LMSU list.

First game was inconclusive, lost a Hammerhead and failed to kill one of his raiders. 0-42. Never really engaged the SSD with most of my ships due to my own timidity and his Raiders delaying my pincering ships.

2nd game, killed the SSD at the start of turn 5, leaving me with one CR90 on 2 hull. 400-340 point win.

He had the cheapest SSD with Ravager, Jerry, Emperor officer, XI7, Captain Needa, Gunnery Team; a gozanti with Comms Net; 4 Decimators.

I had 3 CR90s, each with ECM and TRC, plus Profundity Armoured Cruiser with Cham, Ex Racks, Leading Shots and Linked Turbolaser Turrets dropping a Hammerhead Torpedo Corvette with Ordnance Experts and Ex Racks.

We played his Solar Corona. My 2pt bid beat his 1pt.

Charged the SSD. Rolled a lot of dice, nearly lost! Good fun.

Edited by Gilarius

Tabled an opponents SSD in a casual tournament.

Leia on an MC75, Admo, 2 GR 75s, 4 YT2400s, and 6 YWings. He had the SSD, a gozanti, and a handful of light squads. Sent Admo, GR75s around the flanks at top speed and sent the MC75 right at it, spamming Engineering at speed 3, took one big shot in the face, then just scraped down the side wiping out shields and tokens on my way. Got by it with no shields left on the MC75 , and two damage, then flew off to safety.

By then, Admo and the Squads has cleared the squads and Goz and were on his rear. They killed it dead in Round 6 after racking up 10 Superior Positions tokens. Lost no ships of my own. 

Felt really good. I hate those things.

Edited by RogueCommander

Casual tourney yesterday, managed to kill an opponent’s hastily assembled (and not optimized) command prototype on turn 6.  

Defiance flew down one side, and a Sato-powered Paragon down the other, double-arcing the whole way.  Paragon exploded after its run but Defiance was in tip top shape.  Squads all dead except for a lone VCX that held on to keep boosting Sato’s ships...

It wasn't a quick kill (turn 6) but I killed an SSD with a Garm list that centred around an Assault Frigate if that's worth anything 😂

Bonus points for heavy use of A-Wings against an SSD perhaps?

I killed a second executor, marking this my 4th SSD kill so far. 

800 point game Vader SSD, ISD II, VSD II, Kitten, no squads vs my Raddus, mc80, mc80L, mc75, cr90, pelta, HH, 3xgr75, and a ball of Y-wings with norra. 

I delayed deployment until the all his stuff was down. He had placed the SSD just off center with all his ships to one side. I was 1st player, I chose the station assault objective. 

I moved my ships to jump to the left side of the ssd round one, kept everything just out of range. I delayed him round 2 until the SSD moved up, then I sent my slicer tool gr75 to its sacrificial end, changing his only navigate dial on the SSD to a squadron. 

Round 3 I jumped in the mc80L with raddus to target the left aux zone, I profundity'd in my HH on the left zone, for the next 3 turns all my ships flayed the side of his SSD while it moved up unable to steer cutting himself off from his own fleet. 

by round 6 I sank the VSD, SSD and one of the stations having only lost a gr75 and my HH. 

It was a brutal game. 

Round 5 just before the big kill:
e2ixf10.jpg

Round 5 after the SSD sank:
d1YaROW.jpg

Edited by Darth Sanguis

Picked up my second win against an SSD (Jerjerrod / Ravager) at 400 points last night. Played with an Imperial MSU, Hyperspace Assault was the mission selected and I was second player.

Left Demolisher in Hyperspace and lined up 3 Arquitens armed with TRC's to run my right flank. Gozanti and squads deployed not far off center in an effort to harrass my opponents 2x Firesprays and Morna Kee. 

SSD deployed close to my right flank and turned aggressively to its left, putting pressure on the conga line of Arq's and popping 2 with ease. I spotted an opening for Demo to land just inside the rear arc and brought him in for T2, unleashed a double arc with CF and ExRacks on the second attack and dealt severe damage. SSD got caught on some debris for a number of turns, putting pressure on the shields and my Morna Kee then parked up in front and was hitting 3/3 for 2 turns.

Managed to deal the killing blow with my last Arquitens, TRC'ing the damage I needed to bring him down.

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Ozzel

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Hyperspace Assault
Navigation Objective: Minefields

Gladiator I-Class Star Destroyer (56 points)
 Demolisher  ( 10  points)
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points)
-  Engine Techs  ( 8  points)
-  External Racks  ( 3  points)
= 81 total ship cost

Arquitens-class Light Cruiser (54 points)
-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points)
= 61 total ship cost

Arquitens-class Light Cruiser (54 points)
= 61 total ship cost

[ flagship ] Arquitens-class Light Cruiser (54 points)
-  Admiral Ozzel  ( 20  points)
 Hand of Justice  ( 4  points)
= 85 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
-  Boosted Comms  ( 4  points)
= 27 total ship cost

1 Colonel Jendon ( 20 points)
1 Maarek Stele ( 21 points)
1 Morna Kee ( 27 points)
1 Mauler Mithel ( 15 points)
= 83 total squadron cost

Just because it's probably going to be the most common SSD build I'm wondering have there been any instances of a non-Rhymer squad build with uniques beating a Kallus+QLT armed SSD in a 400pt game? SSDs are virtually immune to squads with that build.

I see that @Mad Cat managed to take down a Kallus+QLT SSD but only because he had generic bombers. MadCat did you know you were facing an SSD in advance of the match?

15 minutes ago, Zamalekite said:

I see that @Mad Cat managed to take down a Kallus+QLT SSD but only because he had generic bombers. MadCat did you know you were facing an SSD in advance of the match?

No I just turned up with a list.

It was the second game in a local 10 player tournament but it did take place a week after the SSD was released so the chances were good that one would make an appearance. 

In our game the counter(1) on the SSD with reroll blue crits from QLT/PDR didn't effect my bombing too much. Partly due to his poor dice rolling but also as I only had 2 charachters so Kallus didnt take a major role (though Mauler & Tempest squaron survived and always attacked the SSD and the base was in the wrong place for repairs). I knew if I bunched up the squadrons in a single SSD fire arc then he would flak the lot in his activation so I kept them split into 3 different arcs. The interceptors were most vulnerable so they and any heavily wounded bombers would move and attack then next turn attack and move onto a debris then repeat. It cuts down the flak by a third and if you can do this with the base rather than a debris the repairs (double repairs if you have TIE Phantoms) extend their life even more. 

Our game happened before RITR was out so no LTT on the SSD-AP. This upgrade would have been great giving rerolls on general flak and possibly adding red dice with Kallus. If the Ravager SSD uses the LTT victimisation mode on one squadron it can get silly amounts of dice with the CF dial and token and Krennic rerolls. e.g. Red & Blue at medium range. Add 2 +1 +2 red for LTT, Kallus, CF+CF(ravager). 6 red and a blue rerolling all red then 2 more rerolls then one last reroll. 

35 minutes ago, Mad Cat said:

No I just turned up with a list.

It was the second game in a local 10 player tournament but it did take place a week after the SSD was released so the chances were good that one would make an appearance. 

In our game the counter(1) on the SSD with reroll blue crits from QLT/PDR didn't effect my bombing too much. Partly due to his poor dice rolling but also as I only had 2 charachters so Kallus didnt take a major role (though Mauler & Tempest squaron survived and always attacked the SSD and the base was in the wrong place for repairs). I knew if I bunched up the squadrons in a single SSD fire arc then he would flak the lot in his activation so I kept them split into 3 different arcs. The interceptors were most vulnerable so they and any heavily wounded bombers would move and attack then next turn attack and move onto a debris then repeat. It cuts down the flak by a third and if you can do this with the base rather than a debris the repairs (double repairs if you have TIE Phantoms) extend their life even more. 

Our game happened before RITR was out so no LTT on the SSD-AP. This upgrade would have been great giving rerolls on general flak and possibly adding red dice with Kallus. If the Ravager SSD uses the LTT victimisation mode on one squadron it can get silly amounts of dice with the CF dial and token and Krennic rerolls. e.g. Red & Blue at medium range. Add 2 +1 +2 red for LTT, Kallus, CF+CF(ravager). 6 red and a blue rerolling all red then 2 more rerolls then one last reroll. 

Yeah it's pretty sick! even without LTT I think the main problem is that Kallus and QLTs means that unique bombers are often doing more damage to themselves than to the SSD and the SSD can soak it up whereas other large ships will eventually go down before the bombers die. Rhymer mitigates this at least but Rebels don't have any equivalent and generic bombers cost a bit more. It's the Kallus+QLT combo that I think is the most deadly and OP.

50 minutes ago, Zamalekite said:

It's the Kallus+QLT combo that I think is the most deadly and OP.

As someone who used Kallus+QLT for years I can totally agree with the first part of the statement, but I strongly disagree with the second part. Kallus+qlt just makes a certain strategy (kill squads with flak) that wasnt widely used before more viable. There are ways to counter this strategy at a fleet building stage and during the game (And executing "kill the squads" strategy has way more moving pieces than just bringing Kallus+QLT and watching squads die, even with SSD). Keep in mind that bringing SSD to half points while losing full bomber wing still makes you even. The only area where Kallus+qlt hits too hard is vs unique generics.

TL/DR Kalus+QLT is potent on SSD but is not OP, player skill still matters a lot.

5 hours ago, Zamalekite said:

Just because it's probably going to be the most common SSD build I'm wondering have there been any instances of a non-Rhymer squad build with uniques beating a Kallus+QLT armed SSD in a 400pt game? SSDs are virtually immune to squads with that build.

Yup:

Did rely on some bad Kallus dice, but got the work done. 

Can't remember if this one was against Kallus+QLT, but another win for aces: 

I mean, you're not gonna be able to rely on just your squads, you need warships in there to back them up. But if throwing your ~134pts of Aces to their death gets you what you need to kill their 250pts+ SSD then that's a decent trade!