For a basic 4 player game (each player using a different aspect), one core is required.  If 2 or more players wanting to use the same aspect, then 2-4 cores is required.  I should say that in other co-op LCGs, using one color for a  party of 4 is highly discouraged.  Diversity in card colors is key.

4 hours ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

For a basic 4 player game (each player using a different aspect), one core is required.  If 2 or more players wanting to use the same aspect, then 2-4 cores is required.  I should say that in other co-op LCGs, using one color for a  party of 4 is highly discouraged.  Diversity in card colors is key.

Once some hero packs come out, you might not even need multiple cores to share an aspect.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

Once some hero packs come out, you might not even need multiple cores to share an aspect.

Considering the hero packs are designed to be playable right out of the package, you're definitely correct.  For instance, I believe Captain America is being released with Leadership cards, so once you pick that up, you'd be able to play two Leadership heroes.

Edited by KBlumhardt

2 hours ago, KBlumhardt said:

Considering the hero packs are designed to be playable right out of the package, you're definitely correct.  For instance, I believe Captain America is being released with Leadership cards, so once you pick that up, you'd be able to play two Leadership heroes.

That depends on how many Leadership (and Neutral) cards you get with him. He might only come with enough to spice up Leadership deckbuilding, not support a second hero altogether.

24 minutes ago, rsdockery said:

That depends on how many Leadership (and Neutral) cards you get with him. He might only come with enough to spice up Leadership deckbuilding, not support a second hero altogether.

They’ve already said the hero packs would be a complete legal deck. So, it’ll have to be a mix of at least enough to build a completely different leadership deck. Unless they do reprints, which would be an awful idea.

19 minutes ago, gokubb said:

They’ve already said the hero packs would be a complete legal deck. So, it’ll have to be a mix of at least enough to build a completely different leadership deck. Unless they do reprints, which would be an awful idea.

They have said there would be some basic reprints. Likely the Neutral Resources and maybe Fury, Avengers Mansion, or Helicarrier.

55 minutes ago, Radix2309 said:

They have said there would be some basic reprints. Likely the Neutral Resources and maybe Fury, Avengers Mansion, or Helicarrier.

Do you know where that was said?

Posted (edited)

As far as I’m aware that hasn’t been officially confirmed at all. Since it’s suppose to be a buy and play straight from the box deal though I’m not against that idea. 

Will most likely be entirely new cards, but without the Power of Aspect and basic resources I can’t see them being ‘good’ decks. 

Edited by iJiminy

10 minutes ago, iJiminy said:

As far as I’m aware that hasn’t been officially confirmed at all. Since it’s suppose to be a buy and play straight from the box deal though I’m not against that idea. 

Will most likely just be entirely new cards, but without the Power of Aspect and basic resources they won’t be ‘good’ decks. 

Unless they print alternatives to those. Perhaps with the same name or another limiting factor but different effect to make it so you cannot combine the two variations in one deck. I think straight up reprints in a pack like that so soon will cause a lot of backlash.

Just now, gokubb said:

Unless they print alternatives to those. Perhaps with the same name or another limiting factor but different effect to make it so you cannot combine the two variations in one deck. I think straight up reprints in a pack like that so soon will cause a lot of backlash.

Yeah, the backlash would be horrific, especially if people bought the core set before that information was revealed.

17 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

You are completely right.  As of right now, aspects are the key to deck building for this game

Posted (edited)

If that were true it would be nice in the beginning to have multiple sets of cards every deck wants potentially.  Though after a while when you have your 20th copy of Genius in  your deck box I think it would get old quick.  Playable out of the box doesn't mean it needs to be optimal.  They don't need to include reprints just to cover holes.  In fact I think it would be smarter for them to cover those basic resources with other alternatives in faction to encourage deck diversity rather than everyone taking Avengers Mansion for card draw for example.  I'd be less salty about it if it was alt art for the card in theme with the deck.  That would be kinda cool if the Reed Richards deck had his picture on Genius for example.

Edited by phillos

1 hour ago, CitizenKeen said:

Would the backlash be that bad?

KeyForge has... how many cards in a deck? Less than 40. And it sells like hotcakes.

So a pack of 60 cards, of which some are reprints... I think people's expectations will temper.

I mean, I don't love it, but I get it.

Keyforge is a completely different model. You're going into it knowing it's a blind buy. LCGs are not about that model. They're about expanding your card pool every month, knowing what you're going to get. If a 60 card pack has 20 cards dedicated to it for the hero and its nemesis cards, that leaves only 40 for new content. If the limit of most cards in a deck are x3 then that means we're getting only around fifteen new cards per player pack. That's not a lot. To waste some of that with reprints would be upsetting. Especially since the release rate for new player cards in this game is going to be very slow, considering only one hero pack is released every two months on average. No matter how great the core set will be, it's going to get old with only seven to eight new card options per month. Their Game of Thrones card game, for instance gives twenty new unique cards per chapter pack.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, rsdockery said:

By virtue of his deck being playable and legal out of the package, it has to give you enough cards to support a 'second' hero (him!!!)... or else it wouldn't be legal and playable.  Seems fairly obvious.

Edited by KBlumhardt

7 minutes ago, gokubb said:

Keyforge is a completely different model. You're going into it knowing it's a blind buy. LCGs are not about that model. They're about expanding your card pool every month, knowing what you're going to get. If a 60 card pack has 20 cards dedicated to it for the hero and its nemesis cards, that leaves only 40 for new content. If the limit of most cards in a deck are x3 then that means we're getting only around fifteen new cards per player pack. That's not a lot. To waste some of that with reprints would be upsetting. Especially since the release rate for new player cards in this game is going to be very slow, considering only one hero pack is released every two months on average. No matter how great the core set will be, it's going to get old with only seven to eight new card options per month. Their Game of Thrones card game, for instance gives twenty new unique cards per chapter pack.

You're discounting the 20 cards of Hero cards of new content. Just because it may not fit into an existing deck doesn't mean it's not new.

I'm not defending the model. I'm just saying that FFG may have done some math and decided that the cost of "nerd outrage that 10% of this pack is reprints" is less than the benefit of "make the game easily accessible to a wider audience".

3 hours ago, gokubb said:

If a 60 card pack has 20 cards dedicated to it for the hero and its nemesis cards, that leaves only 40 for new content.

Isn't the hero, hero cards and nemesis cards new content?

For the most part I am not going to think of this as an LCG and look for a complete playset. Champions seems more like a boardgame with an aggressive expansion cycle. The idea of buy and play doesn't seem that bad. Over time the card pool may develop into something closer to an LCG, and if the game captures my friends and my imaginations we may delve into the rabbit hole that is deck construction.