Sign in to follow this  
GILLIES291

Go-To Power Heroes

Just curious who everyone's go-to heroes are. Who do you call on when your experimental Dunedain deck or highly thematic Gondor build is repeatedly failing you against the most basic of scenarios, I mean *cough cough* Carn Dum or something more epic and hard haha.

But basically what is your most powerful combination of three strongest heroes that always wins when you need them too?

For me I've had a ton of luck with Gandalf/Treebeard/Elrond they are my nuclear weapon fellowship I named "Legends of the Light". Though I will add that Legolas/Boromir/Radagast is slowly becoming my new super-powered deck to call upon. Maybe because I just used it to slay Into Ithilien, but it hits hard, can take a punch, and Eagles are awesome and always thematically show up to save the day in our darkest hour (Am I right Hobbit and Return of the King finales?).

But curious to see what more experienced players use as their all powerful deck.

4 hours ago, GILLIES291 said:

For me I've had a ton of luck with Gandalf/Treebeard/Elrond

I've flirted with the idea of this but the thought of being 10 away from elimination in a "toys" deck scares the heck out of me.

I know you are referring to solo play but I mostly play two player and our SHTF decks are aragorn-halbarad-amarthiul and cirdan-eowyn-arwen/galdor (depending on whether healing is necessary). The former does an excellent job keeping enemies out of staging (and killing if necessary) and the latter quests and clears locations exceptionally well.  

My go to deck is Treebeard/Denethor(L)/Galadriel. It's the best deck I ever build completely by myself. It carried me through the Haradim cycle and even held it's ground in a 2-player-NM-campaign (at least for the first to quests, we never managed to try the third one as my friend moved away).

If i'm really annoyed I just bring out a Vilya deck. These things are insane.

If we are just talking heroes:
Leadership: Denethor
Tactics: Beregond/Legolas (depending if I need attack or defense)
Spirit: Arwen
Lore: Elrond
Colourless: Gandalf :P 

Posted (edited)

Caldara, Arwen, Beregond.

But if we really want to disgustingly dominate almost any encounter deck, our strongest team has been pairing (Purple Denethor, Erestor, Balin) with (Sam, Green Aragorn, Blue Glorfindel). Challenge: work out what we are doing with this fellowship.

Edited by NathanH

4 hours ago, player3351457 said:

I've flirted with the idea of this but the thought of being 10 away from elimination in a "toys" deck scares the heck out of me.

I know you are referring to solo play but I mostly play two player and our SHTF decks are aragorn-halbarad-amarthiul and cirdan-eowyn-arwen/galdor (depending on whether healing is necessary). The former does an excellent job keeping enemies out of staging (and killing if necessary) and the latter quests and clears locations exceptionally well.  

Haha yes I have to keep lots of threat reduction going but it's worth it to play Path of need and all of a sudden have some of the strongest heroes in the game be able to never exhaust. Gandalf and Elrond work so well together and Elrond's boosted healing really helps keep Treebeard questing and hitting for crazy.

That sounds like an awesome combo, is that Tactics Aragorn you use?

And if it was two player I run Legolas, Glorfindel Spirit and Eleanor alongside my wife's outlands Lore Aragorn/Erestor/Hirluin the Fair. Few can stand against that, and Eleanor helps deal with the Outlands main weakness.

3 hours ago, GILLIES291 said:

That sounds like an awesome combo, is that Tactics Aragorn you use?

And if it was two player I run Legolas, Glorfindel Spirit and Eleanor alongside my wife's outlands Lore Aragorn/Erestor/Hirluin the Fair. Few can stand against that, and Eleanor helps deal with the Outlands main weakness.

Yes tactics aragorn. It takes a leap of faith on both sides. I quest with everyone, he will only quest with Halbarad if he is engaged with someone. 

Erestor outlands... interesting! I recently ran a solo hirluin, prince imrahil tactics, denethor leadership and that was a lot of fun. I like eleanor blocking the wiping treacheries 

5 hours ago, NathanH said:

But if we really want to disgustingly dominate almost any encounter deck, our strongest team has been pairing (Purple Denethor, Erestor, Balin) with (Sam, Green Aragorn, Blue Glorfindel). Challenge: work out what we are doing with this fellowship.

Stand and Fight Outlands?

7 hours ago, NathanH said:

A whole lot of doomed cards are being played with an Aragorn threat reset also getting passed to the other side.

4 hours ago, Denison said:

A whole lot of doomed cards are being played with an Aragorn threat reset also getting passed to the other side.

Close, but we don't bother trying to make the first deck function, it just plays Justice Shall Be Done and dies in the first turn; its only tasks are to play lots of attachments on Aragorn, give the other deck loads to cards and resources from Doomed cards, play Doom Hangs Still so we can skip the first quest phase, and then expire.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, NathanH said:

Close, but we don't bother trying to make the first deck function, it just plays Justice Shall Be Done and dies in the first turn; its only tasks are to play lots of attachments on Aragorn, give the other deck loads to cards and resources from Doomed cards, play Doom Hangs Still so we can skip the first quest phase, and then expire.

Looks like you got a slight improvement with the new deluxe then. Frodo gets you slightly lower starting threat and a bonus to Drinking Song.

Edited by Seastan

15 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

Tactics Boromir is still very good.  Not crazy like he was, but still very good.

I am loving him in my Mono-tactics deck with Eowyn and Theoden as a solid quester that can still fight. As well as in a Legolas and Radagast Eagle deck as a super defender while Legolas is the super attacker. And being able to exhaust for all sorts of effects is still helpful if you play the errata version. We play the original Boromir and he's much more fun and helpful on the more banging your head against a wall hard difficulty quests that exist out there. 

My most powerful deck uses Elrond, Arwen, and tactics Eowyn, which I consider to be the strongest heroes in their respective spheres. For leadership, I'd go with Denethor as the strongest. I think Dain is more powerful than Denethor if you build an entire fellowship around him, but when you get to the point of designing multiple decks to work in harmony, some crazy jank can start happening. For example, there's a two-player fellowship I have that trivially beats every quest and is centered around lore Bilbo of all heroes.

Would be cool to see that set up Seastan! And those are some strong hero choices. Curious on Arwen though, why her out of all of the resource generating heroes? Stronger than Galadriel, Glorfindel, Spirit Eowyn and Eleanor? 

On 8/16/2019 at 9:54 PM, GILLIES291 said:

Would be cool to see that set up Seastan! And those are some strong hero choices. Curious on Arwen though, why her out of all of the resource generating heroes? Stronger than Galadriel, Glorfindel, Spirit Eowyn and Eleanor? 

Still working on refining the fellowship right now. It's similar to my solo list "The Shirebroke" (https://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/11796/theshirebroke-1.0) but expanded into two decks for consistency.

Arwen is the strongest because she's got everything in one package. Spirit access, resource generation, card draw (through Elven-light), high willpower, reasonable threat cost, Noldor trait (for Elrond's Counsel).  I'd put Cirdan at a distant second, followed by Galadriel, then Glorfindel (Eowyn if multiplayer), though Caldara has a argument for being in my second place slot, because like Dain she's crazy good if you devote your whole deck to her.