Archangelspiv

When you win worlds, what card will you create???

A friend in our group said he would like to see opportunist come back to 2.0. With Jedi normally taking a TL, using the force for mods, it could be a way to punish such play. It would be highly circumstantial, but I think a decent way to make people think about their actions. 

What would you bring back or introduce?

For those that are not familiar with Opportunist, if your target doesn’t have green tokens, you roll an extra red die. 

Posted (edited)

GA Thrawn crew

EDIT: I would want something in the systems phase that had to do with he knew what was going to happen before it did. Probably have recurring charges like Leia or Jerjerrod. 

Idea 1: if all your ships arcs have a ship in arc, spend X charges and it looses an agility die. 

Idea 2: before an enemy ship at 0-2 reveals its dial, you may spend X charges to guess aloud a maneuver. If that is the maneuver revealed, you gain an extra red die. 

Lol, just the threat of 2 would make for some funny dial reveals. 

Edited by JBFancourt

#makeboshekacardagain

but if I was to ever win worlds, I’d make George Lucas(factionless). Make him a single crew carrier with 3 force charges (recurring) and the following effect:  

at the start of the engagement phase you may spend up to 3 force tokens. The amount of tokens you spend determines the effect(you may only use 1 effect per round): 

1: while a friendly ship defends, you may select one ship that has not attacked; you may cancel defense dice, and for each die cancelled, that ship can recover that many shields, then assign that ship a weapons disabled token. 

2: you may Reroll one dice roll. This counts as rerolling for the purpose of effects. 

3: roll one attack die and one defense die (these results cannot be modified). This round you may add the rolled result to each of your rolls.  You may not spend target locks the turn you use this effect.

2 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

A friend in our group said he would like to see opportunist come back to 2.0. With Jedi normally taking a TL, using the force for mods, it could be a way to punish such play. It would be highly circumstantial, but I think a decent way to make people think about their actions. 

What would you bring back or introduce?

For those that are not familiar with Opportunist, if your target doesn’t have green tokens, you roll an extra red die. 

I'm actually kinda scared by 1e Opportunist.  While it was "8" points, it has a pretty potent effect.  In 2e, where token stacks are harder to come by, dual actions are somewhat more limited without Push the Limit, and there isn't intense competition for the Talent slot, I think 1e Opportunist--gain an extra red die for a stress against a target without green tokens--might be too strong.  Might be enough to only reroll and not add a die, against a target without green tokens.  Still, I think it'd be a very strong general purpose talent.

Alternately, it could also be charge-based.  With one or two non-recurring charges, "gain a stress and spend a charge to [etc etc]." that might be more palatable.  I mean, it'd nearly be Torpedo-level powerful.

//

Hrm.  My picks.

Pilot: Grand Admiral Thrawn in a TIE Defender.  Init 3.  1 Charge, recurring.  In the System Phase, you may spend 1 charge.  While your charge is active, treat your initiative as 0 in the Activation phase, and 7 in the Engagement Phase.  While your charge is inactive, treat your Initiative as 7 in the Activation Phase, and 0 in the Engagement Phase.

- My concept for Thrawn runs on two key premises.  If you can dodge all the arcs, it doesn't matter if you attack last.  If you attack first and kill your target, it doesn't matter if you didn't get out of your opponent's firing arc.

//

Upgrade: Quickfire Torpedoes.  4 dice.  Range 1-2.  1 Charge [2 charges?].  Attack [Lock].  No tricks to the attack itself, but text along the lines "When you are destroyed, you may perform this attack as a Bonus Attack."  Possibly only allow the bonus attack if you have not attacked this round, so that it's not about giving high-init ships a double-tap, and more about ensuring that you'll get at least one with a weapon you've invested in.

- The premise of this is that it'd be a hedge against getting Initiative killed, as well as low-init ships having trouble taking locks and not getting range-controlled.  There could also easily be a missile version, probably cheaper, 3-dice, and 1 more charge than the Torpedo.

5 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I'm actually kinda scared by 1e Opportunist.  While it was "8" points, it has a pretty potent effect.  In 2e, where token stacks are harder to come by, dual actions are somewhat more limited without Push the Limit, and there isn't intense competition for the Talent slot, I think 1e Opportunist--gain an extra red die for a stress against a target without green tokens--might be too strong.  Might be enough to only reroll and not add a die, against a target without green tokens.  Still, I think it'd be a very strong general purpose talent.

It'd need balancing carefully. Extra dice are something that is very difficult to come by - deliberately. I would broadly speaking approve of it 'as is' because it'd go some way to making "Static" worth taking but I'm not convinced making one somewhat obscure TIE/fo pilot better justifies dropping a potentially balance-wrecking tool into the pot.

Between lower token stacks - making it easier to trigger - and the fact that the 'as per 1.0' talent worked with secondary weapons, it's very scary - especially with Braylen Stramm or Ten Numb.

7 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

If it makes your friend feel better, I'd suggest pointing him at the Galactic Empire or Scum:

• Captain Feroph
  • Major Vermeil
  • Darth Vader (crew)
  • Torani Kulda
  • Asajj Ventress

All have nasty, nasty abilities beginning with "If the enemy ship has no green tokens" or "Unless the enemy ship removes 1 green token". Any Jedi thinking they can get away with Target Lock/Force will come badly unstuck.

I'm not sure what card I'd like to see. @Turcopolier's idea of a way to reign in force users is one thing but on the other hand you're supposed to be paying so much for a force-heavy pilot precisely because those charges are there all the time whatever you're doing.

I think what I'd most like to see is something rewarding people playing "narratively appropriate" squads - not making them 'better' than a random pick, but not leaving them as far being as things currently do. For example; Howlrunner is one of the best TIE fighter pilots - but the rest of Obsidian Squadron is Night Beast (okay but not great) and Obsidian Squadron Pilots (pretty awful as they basically cost a point per ship more than academy pilots for essentially zero reliable benefit). We might get something like that via the epic conversion kit, but I doubt if we do it'd translate into standard play.

4 hours ago, Ryfterek said:

Twin Laser Turrets

elmo.jpg

I actually have an idea for a Twin Laser Turret which I think would be fair, and probably should be added to the game:

Range 2-3, 2 red dice.  No text, just "Attack."  Adds a white rotate action.  The wrinkle: bowtie double-end turret.  Thassit.  Twin means two ends.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

[counter-Jedi play]

If it makes your friend feel better, I'd suggest pointing him at the Galactic Empire or Scum:

• Captain Feroph
  • Major Vermeil
  • Darth Vader (crew)
  • Torani Kulda
  • Asajj Ventress

All have nasty, nasty abilities beginning with "If the enemy ship has no green tokens" or "Unless the enemy ship removes 1 green token". Any Jedi thinking they can get away with Target Lock/Force will come badly unstuck.

I foolishly flew my Anakin into a block with a 5-K, and Vermiel with Crack Shot and Vader crew put FIVE damage into him.

Edited by theBitterFig