LostScribe

Luke Gunner?

I’ve been looking for a Rebel list after the most recent points change and wanted to stay hyperspace-legal. Han is still a beast and I’ve been looking for an excuse to get a U-wing. I think I’ll try this one tomorrow but would be interested in feedback on Luke Gunner in this list:

Luke Gunner?

(82) Han Solo [Modified YT-1300 Light Freighter]
(26) Luke Skywalker
(2) Lando Calrissian
(4) Trick Shot

(36) Jake Farrell [RZ-1 A-wing]
(1) Crack Shot

(45) Heff Tobber [UT-60D U-wing]
(3) Intimidation

Total points: 199

The idea is Heff blocks and can get additional actions if he succeeds. Jake runs around being Jake, and Han can use the magic reroll to get the most from Lando crew. Luke provides a force as well, but helps deal with any aces like those pesky Jedi.

Any thoughts?

I'm not really sold on Lando on Han.  The reroll to improve the results is cute, but I just don't know that it's worth it in the end.  I had a friend who started off using it, but decided that most of the time, he really just wanted to roll an eye to get a Focus token, and ultimately decided that taking Focus actions was better. 

Meanwhile, I think it's less that Luke Gunner isn't good, and more that other stuff is better.  I mean, just using Luke Gunner for the Force isn't too bad (and he's the only Hyperspace Force crew for Han, at the moment... Wave 5 will bring Kanan, presumably, and Kanan is amazingly good), and while Han could Rotate at Init 6 without Luke, Luke Gunner also lets Han spend his action to boost, for example.  That's decent.

But R2-D2 crew is so good, that that's obviously coming first.  So is there a Han list which can afford Luke Gunner? Presuming cutting Lando, that'd require another 8 points.  1 point bid, Crack Shot is an easy cut, so down to 6.  That means Heff Tober needs to be replaced with someone 42 points or less.  Generic X, Y, or B Wing doesn't seem worth it.  Arvel Crynyd with Intimidation does something kind of like Heff, but probably not as well.  In the end, is the list going to be that good?  Eh.  I'd rather cut Luke had have more points in the rest of the list.

Consider: Han with R2-D2, Trick Shot, Engine Upgrade (103), Jake Farrell with Crack Shot (37), Wedge Antillies with S-Foils (55) has another 5 points of wiggle room.  Or Heff Tober could equip Leia, who's still pretty good.  Not necessarily the perfect list for Leia, but still a good 6-point crew if used only for Heff's stalls.

2 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I think it's less that Luke Gunner isn't good, and more that other stuff is better. 

[snip]

I'd rather cut Luke had have more points in the rest of the list.

That’s the crux of it. Luke is good but that point cost is just prohibitive. Thanks for the detailed thought process too.

I think I will try to keep the U- wing, but without the point-sink of Luke I can upgrade Heff to Magva. I do like the Wedge option but he doesn’t quite fit with the U so Jake it is.

Thanks!

I'm a fan of Luke Gunner for sure, he really helps in many different ways (catching those pesky Ace lists with large bids, gives you an 'action' if you've been blocked, leaves you to take other actions that help defensively or offensively, and gives you that one eyeball mod).

I know it doesn't involve a U-wing, but this is my current list that I've been enjoying of late:

2 Up Top

(82) Han Solo [Modified YT-1300 Light Freighter]
(4) Trick Shot
(26) Luke Skywalker
(7) Engine Upgrade
(8) Seasoned Navigator
(5) Nien Nunb
(6) Millennium Falcon

(55) Wedge Antilles [T-65 X-wing]
(0) Servomotor S-foils
(2) Predator
(4) R2 Astromech

Total points: 199

I like the look of your list (Jake is a solid wingman), although I'm also unsure you really need Lando crew.

Either way as long as you enjoy flying the list that's what matters ;) 

Thanks xwingMinty and Rokian. I didn’t fly this list during weekly x-wing night (tried a Wedge, Luke, Jake, Sabine list that was a lot of fun) but I’m still angling to try Luke soon. The lower initiative option is worth considering though, thanks.

obs: i just checked , u can fit all of this (chiwie build idea ) and : millenium falcon title ,  wedge (pilot ) with proton torpedos , r2 unit and crack shot , with enough space for bid