Digitalfiends

A quick question for those that have their SSDs...

Posted (edited)

Update:

From looking at some of the other SSDs at my FLGS, it appears the "misaligned" join at the rear is as-designed.  The bowing stills bugs me a bit but I might do a repaint anyhow and see if I can fix it after disassembling the ship.  Thanks again for all the feedback.

Original:

I was wondering if those of you that have received your SSDs can confirm a few things for me.

On my SSD, the end of the inner structure seems misaligned at the back; it seems skewed to one side when looking down the length of the ship.  It's only maybe 1-2 mm off but once I notice something like that … haha.  With that said, I suspect this might just be how it is designed judging by where the lines join up.  So yes, I know this might be a bit OCD. :)  More annoyingly,  I've also noticed that when looking down the length of the model, it appears to sag; from the side this gives the ship a very faint banana shape.

Can anyone that has a SSD check these two things out for me and let me know if they are normal?  Usually, this wouldn't really bug me but it is a $220 (cdn) model - so it'd be nice to know if I got the Friday build.  Much appreciated.

SSD1.jpg.9e91e5e92284ebc777593db7d0547bb4.jpg

SSD2.thumb.jpg.05f37c476faa045639156de7a632f6a8.jpg

Lastly, the wedge-shaped piece I'm pointing at below is loose and rattles on my SSD...is it like this on anyone else's?  It's an easy fix, so not a big deal, just curious.

SSD3.jpg.45e4c6f8ae7ead5bae450753ce797a10.jpg

Thanks for humouring me. :)

Edited by Digitalfiends

Just now, TheBigLev said:

I've noticed that curved sag/banana on all my ISD models. I will be getting an SSD soon enough and would be surprised if it did not!

Good point.  It's been awhile since I've really played around with my Armada collection, so it's quite possible they are all like that.  Given there is probably very little internal structure/bracing (if any), for the length of the SSD, I guess it makes sense that it would sag a bit.  Still curious though as when I watched Crabbok's unboxing, his didn't appear to sag noticeably.  

Mine is aligned symmetrically.  That said, the rear engines had the internal clips broken and required gluing, and an inner structure block was loose; I suspect you're going to find a higher rate of Friday builds with something of this scale.  If it makes you feel better, it seems possible no two SSDs would be built quite the same from a lore perspective, just because of the sheer scale.

15 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Mine is aligned symmetrically.  That said, the rear engines had the internal clips broken and required gluing, and an inner structure block was loose; I suspect you're going to find a higher rate of Friday builds with something of this scale.  If it makes you feel better, it seems possible no two SSDs would be built quite the same from a lore perspective, just because of the sheer scale.

Thanks for confirming.  Does yours sag slightly as well?

28 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Nope.  Has your model undergone a change in temperature?  Or do you live in a climate hot enough to warp the plastic?

I'm in Canada and it's around 28-30c before humidity, but I'd be surprised if that was the problem.  Maybe it happened in transit to my FLGS or just a bad assembly job.  Who knows...going to hit up my FLGS tomorrow and see what they say.  I could likely get used to the misaligned inner structure as it's admittedly pretty minor and just the perfectionist in me but the sagging is more serious and not what I'd expect from such an expensive product.  

Thanks again.  Going to talk to my FLGS...I've done a lot of business with them over the past year, so we'll see what they say.  Might just have to suck it up. :)

Still a great looking ship though...

2 hours ago, Digitalfiends said:

Lastly, the wedge-shaped piece I'm pointing at below is loose and rattles on my SSD...is it like this on anyone else's?  It's an easy fix, so not a big deal, just curious.

Mine was a little loose on this bit. But hardly noticeable 

3 hours ago, Digitalfiends said:

I was wondering if those of you that have received your SSDs can confirm a few things for me.

On my SSD, the end of the inner structure seems misaligned at the back; it seems skewed to one side when looking down the length of the ship. SSD1.jpg.9e91e5e92284ebc777593db7d0547bb4.jpg

I think the actual prop (image from Star Wars Technical Commentaries) also has some degree of asymmetry, so it might be that they're replicating the original prop's traits:

Executor_03.jpg

Posted (edited)

Interestingly, the conning tower is proportionally bigger than on the "real Executor" prop.

Real Executor prop: 277cm, tower with 4.2cm: ratio 65.95

This Executor: 62.4cm, tower width 1.4cm: ratio 44.57.

Presumably this was because tower details would become unacceptably blurred if they made the tower any smaller.

Edited by Ironlord

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

I think the actual prop (image from Star Wars Technical Commentaries) also has some degree of asymmetry, so it might be that they're replicating the original prop's traits:

Executor_03.jpg

Yeah, I can see what you're saying when looking at that.  Cool, my OCD thanks you haha.  I just wish the sagging wasn't so noticeable.  

Edited by Digitalfiends

My Ssd has a slight port move permanently. So house rule is it has 1 click on right moves.

but when I look at the 2 stands I can see a curve.

in regards to model bow. There is a little if you use the cardboard range rule along the sides. Not enough to bother me at present but noticeable if your worried and looking at it.

5 hours ago, Digitalfiends said:

Yeah, I can see what you're saying when looking at that.  Cool, my OCD thanks you haha.  I just wish the sagging wasn't so noticeable.  

It's most likely a result of how it was glued. It is one of the biggest problems when gluing a long, thin model. If it really brothers you, head over to the painting and customs forum, and see if you want to try a full disassemble/reassemble to try to correct the issue. At least then you could install a rigid spine, something like a pice of 1/4 inch wide aluminum flat stock.

So I went to my FLGS and checked out a few other SSDs.  All the ones I looked at had the same slightly asymmetrical spacing where the inner structure meets the outer shell at the rear.  So I think mine is as it should be.  I obviously couldn't check for any bowing but I'm starting to get used to mine.

I'll just pretend Ozzel screwed up his hyperspace jumps one too many times and bent the space frame; someone should really do something about that guy...

10 hours ago, cynanbloodbane said:

It's most likely a result of how it was glued. It is one of the biggest problems when gluing a long, thin model. If it really brothers you, head over to the painting and customs forum, and see if you want to try a full disassemble/reassemble to try to correct the issue. At least then you could install a rigid spine, something like a pice of 1/4 inch wide aluminum flat stock.

Thanks for that suggestion.  It looks like a few people have already disassembled their SSDs.  I really like how it looks re-painted a darker grey and might just do that myself. 👍

On 8/4/2019 at 6:46 AM, Digitalfiends said:

I noticed the same on my SSD. An easy fix, but still a bit annoying, to have this, on such an expensive model.

17 hours ago, cynanbloodbane said:

Flat stock wont make it stiffer fyi

7 hours ago, mazz0 said:

Doesn't that depend how thick it is?  3mm or thicker is surely pretty rigid?

Nope. Simply adding extra weight. 

Rigidity is based on the second moment of area in the direction of bending, so you need to being adding depth without weight. A flat bar on its side as a brace will help, but that isnt what is being referred to here. 

On 8/4/2019 at 5:46 AM, Digitalfiends said:

Update:

From looking at some of the other SSDs at my FLGS, it appears the "misaligned" join at the rear is as-designed.  The bowing stills bugs me a bit but I might do a repaint anyhow and see if I can fix it after disassembling the ship.  Thanks again for all the feedback.

Original:

On my SSD, the end of the inner structure seems misaligned at the back; it seems skewed to one side when looking down the length of the ship.  It's only maybe 1-2 mm off but once I notice something like that … haha.  With that said, I suspect this might just be how it is designed judging by where the lines join up.  So yes, I know this might be a bit OCD. :)  More annoyingly,  I've also noticed that when looking down the length of the model, it appears to sag; from the side this gives the ship a very faint banana shape.

Can anyone that has a SSD check these two things out for me and let me know if they are normal?  Usually, this wouldn't really bug me but it is a $220 (cdn) model - so it'd be nice to know if I got the Friday build.  Much appreciated.

SSD1.jpg.9e91e5e92284ebc777593db7d0547bb4.jpg

SSD2.thumb.jpg.05f37c476faa045639156de7a632f6a8.jpg

Mine looks exactly like yours.  Exactly.

On 8/5/2019 at 7:41 PM, Ginkapo said:

Nope. Simply adding extra weight. 

Rigidity is based on the second moment of area in the direction of bending, so you need to being adding depth without weight. A flat bar on its side as a brace will help, but that isnt what is being referred to here. 

Well yeah, it would add weight, but is that necessarily a bad thing?  I like weighty models.  Provided the pegs will support it anyway, that might be a concern I suppose.

Not sure what you mean "nope".  Clearly a bar is less bendy the thicker it is.  You can test this with your hands.