Sign in to follow this  
Zamalekite

Mandatory Obstacle Movement and Obstacle Moving Restrictions

In the new RitR rules it states:

When moving an obstacle "at its final position, cannot overlap ships, squadrons or other obstacles, or tokens in the play area."

But there are a number of Objectives that involve mandatory moving of obstacles. The most prescriptive being 'Doomed Station':

"each player chooses 1 obstacle... and moves it to within distance 1-2 of its current location toward the gravity rift". 

But what if you can't do that due to a squadron or ship being in the way? does that mean the obstacle doesn't move or that you have to move it somewhere even if it's not towards the gravity rift?

4 hours ago, Zamalekite said:

In the new RitR rules it states:

When moving an obstacle "at its final position, cannot overlap ships, squadrons or other obstacles, or tokens in the play area."

But there are a number of Objectives that involve mandatory moving of obstacles. The most prescriptive being 'Doomed Station':

"each player chooses 1 obstacle... and moves it to within distance 1-2 of its current location toward the gravity rift". 

But what if you can't do that due to a squadron or ship being in the way? does that mean the obstacle doesn't move or that you have to move it somewhere even if it's not towards the gravity rift?

Since it is “within,” I would assume you gently tap the obstacle, then consider it slightly “moved” by that action.  A situation where you are completely unable to move an obstacle by so much as an atom is, well, theoretical.

5 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Since it is “within,” I would assume you gently tap the obstacle, then consider it slightly “moved” by that action.  A situation where you are completely unable to move an obstacle by so much as an atom is, well, theoretical.

I was also wondering what by "within distance 1-2 means. Does it mean that you must have part of the obstacle at distance 1? Otherwise you don't really need to move anything? 

And if a ship or squadron is already on an obstacle you can't even nudge it.

Posted (edited)

Within 1-2 means any distance from a fraction of a hair's breadth and up to the distance 2 line (but nothing may protrude beyond).

Also, stuff is always at distance 1 of itself. No distance 0 in armada.

X-wing has d0. Where d0 is yourself and anything touching. 

Edited by Green Knight

3 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Within 1-2 means any distance from a fraction of a hair's breadth and up to the distance 2 line (but nothing may protrude beyond).

Also, stuff is always at distance 1 of itself. No distance 0 in armada.

X-wing has d0. Where d0 is yourself and anything touching. 

Ok so when playing Doomed Station you can choose not to move an obstacle at all? 

And if a ship or squadron is blocking the movement you might not be able to move an obstacle even if you want to? 

Even when you keep the obstacle where it was, it was moved within distance 1-2. And if you are not able to move it, because there are squadrons or a ship in the way, you have to keep it where it was.

Does not the "Toward" section of the campaign help with this?

Cause it seems quite clear there. If you cannot move the minimum distance you move as close as possible to that distance.

The only problem I see is the case on which there is something at the minimum distance and enough place to place the obstacle beyond that distance as per the rules of you cannot move the obstacle it's minimum distance you MUST move at close at it. Basically disallowing jumping through whatever is causing troubles. But not sure about this last reading.

15 hours ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Does not the "Toward" section of the campaign help with this?

Cause it seems quite clear there. If you cannot move the minimum distance you move as close as possible to that distance.

The only problem I see is the case on which there is something at the minimum distance and enough place to place the obstacle beyond that distance as per the rules of you cannot move the obstacle it's minimum distance you MUST move at close at it. Basically disallowing jumping through whatever is causing troubles. But not sure about this last reading.

I could not read the book from the campaign so far (is there a PDF of it anywhere?). But is this "Toward" rule for every movement, or just for the purrgil?
It could at least reduce the danger from the Doomed Station objective from being just another Contested Outpost.

4 hours ago, Tokra said:

I could not read the book from the campaign so far (is there a PDF of it anywhere?). But is this "Toward" rule for every movement, or just for the purrgil?
It could at least reduce the danger from the Doomed Station objective from being just another Contested Outpost.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-2CU1xFxGb0Vbo2kjksXYbwv73h17_iu/view?usp=drivesdk

1 hour ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Thank you.
But did i get it right? You need to move the obstacle at least to the line between 1 and 2? Meaning, doing at least a speed 1 move, when the objective tells you do to move toward within distance 1-2?

This will really fix the Doomed station from being just another contested outpost (at least a little). You will need some ships or squadrons to block the station from moving.

5 minutes ago, Tokra said:

Thank you.
But did i get it right? You need to move the obstacle at least to the line between 1 and 2? Meaning, doing at least a speed 1 move, when the objective tells you do to move toward within distance 1-2?

That's how I read it 

On 8/6/2019 at 2:23 PM, Tokra said:

Thank you.

This will really fix the Doomed station from being just another contested outpost (at least a little). You will need some ships or squadrons to block the station from moving.

That's what I'm thinking. It will be weird if the wording of Doomed Station meant the second player could basically pick the station as the first obstacle to move and then not move it. Having to move it so part of it is at least at distance 1 makes more sense with the spirit of the station being "Doomed"