Sign in to follow this  
JadinED

ONAGER and STARHAWK Upgrade Cards

swm32_spread.png

swm33_spread.png

Here are my educated guesses about the wording of the partly-revealed upgrade cards in the Onager and Starhook preview spreadsheets.

Some of them involve a lot of speculation, others are pretty straight-forward, I think. I may be wrong about some of them. • Rakehell especially seems to be worded in a particularly unusual way. More on that later.

Posted (edited)

_20190803_081110.JPG.12020b31a7ae26d4f460f55ce1798ca6.JPG

• Shriv Suurgav
(Weapons Team/Offensive Retrofit)

When you reveal a command, you may discard a [squadron command] dial or token and this card to choose 1 enemy ship at close range and discard 1 of the [Ordnance], [Ion Cannons], or [Turbolasers] upgrade cards equipped to this ship.

Edited by JadinED

Posted (edited)

• Wedge Antilles (Officer)

Before the start of the Squadron Phase, you may spend a [squadron command] token to choose any number of squadrons without STRATEGIC, RELAY, or INTEL.  Those squadrons gain CLOAK until the end of the round.

Edited by JadinED

Posted (edited)

• Kyrsta Agate (Officer)

Red or Blue [crit]: You my exhaust this card to ready 1 of your exhausted  defense tokens.

You can resolve 1 critical effect during SALVO attacks.

Edited by JadinED

Posted (edited)

_20190803_064257.JPG.c797df0aa4849d0ffb8003151485f865.JPG

• Gunnery Chief Varnillian
(Weapons Team)

After you deploy, place 1 red die set to a blank face on this card. If you are  second player, set it to any face instead.

While attacking a ship, you may exchange 1 die from your attack pool with  the die on this card. Both dice results are set to the same face.

Edited by JadinED

Posted (edited)

_20190803_064404.JPG.58bd30f527a35bda363b3db7634e7345.JPG

• Superior

(Onager title)

Blue or Black [crit]: You may discard this card to choose and discard 1 [Fleet Command], [Offensive Retrofit], [Defensive Retrofit], [Ion Cannons], [Ordnance], or [Turbolasers] upgrade card equipped to the defender.

The line above the one with the Defensive Retrofit icon has enough space for 2 icons. Instead of the Fleet support, this upgrade card could refer to a Fleet Command or perhaps new type of upgrade card icon which will be introduced with the two new ships.

Btw. What other Imperial-sounding names for Star Destroyers with "Su..." can you think of? The name obviously needs to sound as ominous, menacing, condescending and overblown as the rest of them. "• Supreme" fits the bill; "• Sunny Day" probably does not. 

Edited by JadinED

Posted (edited)

• Reeva Demesne (Officer)

After you spend a [salvo] token as the defender, if the defending hull zone has at least 1 remaining shield, you may exhaust this card to ready 1  defense token.

Other defense tokens apart from salvo are certainly also possible, perhaps redirect.

The reasoning behind "as the defender" is likely due to Commander Darth Vader's ability.

Edited by JadinED

Posted (edited)

• Rakehell
(Onager title)

[Navigate]: While executing a non-0-speed maneuver, you may exhaust [...] to gain a yaw value of 1 on that many joints.

Now, this one is really tricky. The only other card with a similar wording is Projection Experts. "You may spend up to 2 engineering points to move that many shields from your ship to a friendly ship at distance 1-5." The wording "that many" goes with a specific number or points.

When first flying over the card, I thought it's the typical "you may exhaust this card" which is the stardard term on 30+ other cards. However, if you only exhaust this one card, where does the "that many" come in. "Many" probably doesn't refer to the speed of the first line. The usual wording in this case would be something along the lines of "its current speed".

I see three options.

[Navigate]: While executing a non-0-speed maneuver, you may exhaust any number of upgrade cards to gain a yaw value of 1 on that many joints.

[Navigate]: While executing a non-0-speed maneuver, you may exhaust any number of defense tokens to gain a yaw value of 1 on that many joints.

Both of these phrasings are too long to fit the card. A shorter wording is this:

[Navigate]: While executing a non-0-speed maneuver, you may exhaust a number of [salvo] tokens to gain a yaw value of 1 on that many joints.

Well, really any type of specific defense token would fit here, however, the Onager comes with three salvo tokens, but only one redirect and brace. The new salvo token may make the most sense.

• Rakehell's a tough one.

Edited by JadinED

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Zamalekite said:

The article about the expansion said that each pack had 15 cards in them so some of the ones pictured will be doubles but there will be more coming beyond what we can see :)

Oh yes, I also expect there to be more distinctive cards apart from the ones that are shown in the spreads, and not just doubles. The CR90s and Neb-Bs for example came with 8 upgrade cards each, even though their initial preview pictures looked like this...

CR90-Product-Shot.png

Nebulon-B-product-shot-bits.png

Edited by JadinED

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, flatpackhamster said:

I am sure that this has already been asked but what are those new tokens with the defence tokens?

Also noteworthy for me is that the Onager only seems to have two defence tokens.

I expect the Onager to have three defense tokens, a brace, a redirect and 1 of the salvo tokens.

swm33_spread.png

The other two salvo tokens in the expansion probably grant the Salvo effect to other older Imperial ships, perhaps through another upgrade card not yet revealed, perhaps an offensive or defensive retrofit.

When Rebellion in the Rim was first anounced, we learned of Sabine Wren's ability and the introduction of proximity mines to the game. Now that the rest of the cards are spoilt, there is also the offensive retrofit Proximity Mine and a YV-2400 Mart Mattin.

Edited by JadinED

Posted (edited)

Completely new mechanics are more often than not introduced for both factions in some way.

When E-Wings with their SNIPE mechanic were introduced, there was at least also Sabre Squadron.

When Mandalorian Gauntlet Fighters with their Raid token meachnic were introduced, there was at least also Jyn Erso. Now, the next campaign expansion later, there are Iden Version, Captain Rex and Kanan Jarrus. Commander Beck is coming in Wave VIII.

I guess, Fleet Commands, which were introduced for the Rebel Alliance in Wave V, but the Empire only had access to this mechanic in Wave VII was the longest waiting period for one faction. And this one was only due to the fact that the Super Star Destroyer was postponed. The SSD Expansion (SWM20) was supposed to come out before or alongside the Phoenix Home Expansion (SWM21) after all.

Edited by JadinED

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

Experimental Retrofits would like a word.

Maybe one day we'll get the CC-7700; it is canon now.

You're right. That's a big one.

Perhaps the StarHawk has an Experimal slot, though.

Come to think of it, the Empire only got access to Defensive Retrofits in Wave II, and only on the 120 points ISD II. The Rebel Alliance got them with the Core Set. And the Arquitens as the next ships with this slot and more importantly Minister Tua came in Wave V.

Edited by JadinED

Posted (edited)

swm33_spread.png

latest?cb=20190207073237

Ah, btw, the letters that can be seen on the title cards of the Onager Star Destroyers just say "Osk Nern" = "ON", which is probably just the abbreviation for Onager. Does anyone have an idea why there are the letters instead of a silhouette?

Edited by JadinED

39 minutes ago, JadinED said:

Does anyone have an idea why there are the letters instead of a silhouette?

That was the case for the generic moncal titles as well. Or they just gave up on the silouette cause it looks like the hammerhead from any angle :)

12 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

Experimental Retrofits would like a word.

Maybe one day we'll get the CC-7700; it is canon now.

I'm wondering if that "[something] Crystal" is experimental slot? 

21 minutes ago, Zamalekite said:

I'm wondering if that "[something] Crystal" is experimental slot? 

Magnite Crystal

From wookieepedia: "The tractor beam of the Starhawk was equipped with magnite crystals which gave it ten times the strength of a Star Destroyer's one. The Starhawk's tractor beam enabled it to trap and move a ship many times its size." (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Starhawk-class_battleship)

Posted (edited)

I just realized another mistake.

_20190803_081110.JPG.12020b31a7ae26d4f46

The second paragraph of Kyrsta Agate's officer card clearly starts with "you can spend", and not "you can resolve" as I originally thought.

For reference:

A critical effect, denoted by the [crit] header, can resolve if there is at least one [crit] icon in the attack pool.

- The attacker can resolve only one critical effect per attack.

- The attacker does not spend a die icon to resolve a critical effect unless the effect says otherwise.

[...]

(https://starwars-armada.fandom.com/wiki/Critical_Effects)

The wording that would line up perfectly, is the following:

• Kyrsta Agate

RED or BLUE O: You may
exhaust this card to ready
1 of your exhausted

defense tokens.

You can spend
O for
critical effects during

SALVO attacks.

In other words, you can resolve 1 critical effect, but only if you spend 1 crit icon.

The wording is weird and perhaps wrong. It usually would be something along the lines of "you may spend 1 die with a O icon to resolve..." or "you may spend 1 O icon to resolve...". This wording would be a bit ambiguous. What about a black die with a crit/hit? Do you spend the crit symbol, but still have the hit count towards the total damage or not?

What do you think?

Edited by JadinED

On 8/3/2019 at 11:39 AM, JadinED said:

I just realize, Rakehell could also just simply be:

[Navigate]: While executing a non-0-speed maneuver, you may exhaust this card to gain a yaw value of 1 during that maneuver. 

🤔🙄🙂

Non-0-speed maneuver makes no sense at all.

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

More likely it is tied to the ship (Onager).

But is there a mechanism for an upgrade card, other than titles, to be for one ship type only? If it's not experimental it'll need to be a new Starhawk only type of slot