geek19

Cannot Get Your Ship Out! August Articles!

7 hours ago, GiledPallaeon said:

Since @Snipafist and @geek19 have so generously agreed to host my gigantic writeup of the NOVA tournament, I'll do the tiny bit of work required now to post them here.

http://cannotgetyourshipout.blogspot.com/2019/09/more-guest-posts-nova-winning-guest.html

http://cannotgetyourshipout.blogspot.com/2019/09/nova-winner-guest-post-22.html

Thank you. I find your reports very helpful - as a new player, getting insights not just into 'what you did' but also into 'why you did it' really helps.

Also, thank you to John and Eric - the blog is excellent!

7 hours ago, Gilarius said:

Thank you. I find your reports very helpful - as a new player, getting insights not just into 'what you did' but also into 'why you did it' really helps.

So weird to see all this positivity coming from Gink at first glance.

The universe has a sense of humor.

1 hour ago, Gilarius said:

I even used that avatar when I first joined the forums - but switched to a subtly different yellow spaceship because someone else was using the one with bigger engines in the x-wing forum. People still get us confused...

Was it mythics? 

Its a good thing these avatars are no longer selectable. There can be only one. 

11 hours ago, Gilarius said:

I'm glad you found it helpful. The intent of the detailed writing is to show the why in a way I hope a new player can begin to approach and understand for their own use.  By all means fire away with questions if you have them.

34 minutes ago, GiledPallaeon said:

I'm glad you found it helpful. The intent of the detailed writing is to show the why in a way I hope a new player can begin to approach and understand for their own use.  By all means fire away with questions if you have them.

New player?  Heck even salty seasoned sailors will benefit from such an insightful treatise.  And that’s exactly what that is - should be required reading for anyone going to a big tournament.  Well done sir, and thank you for the time you put into that stupendous essay,

5 hours ago, Gilarius said:

I even used that avatar when I first joined the forums - but switched to a subtly different yellow spaceship because someone else was using the one with bigger engines in the x-wing forum. People still get us confused...

I really like Mag Blast as a game, great game :D

Edited by Muelmuel

17 hours ago, GiledPallaeon said:

Well, with an invitation like that...

Amongst my local group of new players, is one who likes big battleships and the Imperials. Last time we played, he used a Cymoon, an ISD2, and a handful of Tie Fighter aces vs my copy of a Thrawn ISD2, Squall, and a large squadron group. He killed my Mauler Mithel... and felt very aggrieved about how powerful the squadrons were compared to his battleships.

Since then, I have been playing Rebels in preparation for a Correllian Conflict campaign.

I tried out 4 Hammerhead Scouts, Salvation, a CR90 as my flagship for Leia, and 3 rogues in two games, winning both easily, as my forces managed to wipe out almost everything they faced. I intend to see how dropping the squadrons and Salvation to fit in an MC80 Battle Cruiser works. Link to my fleet: Leia's Heap of Junk.

If I suggest my friend tries out your fleet, how well do you think we are likely to fare? We have a similar (lack of) skill and I will pass on any advice you can give so he benefits as much as I will.

37 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Are you entirely sure you want to discredit our image by flying a Leia fleet? We gotta stick together on this bud. With Sato you have my full backing, Leia you dont. 

Total lack of squadrons suggests Sato might be a mistake?

Edit: after my first game with the previous version, my opponent thought it would work better with either Rieekan or Sato. After the 2nd game, my opponent thought that Mon Mothma would be better. No one thought that Leia was good enough, myself included.

However, I think Leia is probably the best commander in this case. Key to the damage is how the Hammerheads perform: if my opponent's ships move slowly, I get multiple turns of all my ships ripping holes in them at long range. If they move faster, my Hammerheads become more accurate. Being able to switch between speed 1 and 3 in one turn and then back again has really helped with getting ships into position to shoot whilst also avoiding being shot at as much. Maneuverability is key, and Leia allows that better than anyone else - in this list. I think. Disclaimer: I've only played 5 games ever, so I might be completely wrong!

Edited by Gilarius
added some explanation

5 hours ago, Gilarius said:

Disclaimer: I've only played 5 games ever, so I might be completely wrong!

Part of the game - that I have experienced - is the idea that some commanders are worse than others. While this is true in some cases (Konny boi typically), any commander can be used when built around their gimmick. To what end, is up to the controller of the fleet. I personally use Tarkin, and to great effect I believe. I understand his cost, and I build around it. I dont fly ISDs because his cost/effectiveness to me isnt as good with less than four ships. Four is the perfect number for Tarkin (each ship is worth 8pt if you spread his ability out) where I normally run 5. A VSD, a GSD, and 2-3 Arquitens depending on if I am flying my squads.

I dont know much about Leia, but I feel its a similar thing, where the more you have, the more her effect occurs, the more cost-effective she is.

Also, 50% of miniatures - nay, any form of tabletop play - is mind games. My local group is still new to Armada and I will normally play various video game boss bsttle music during my turn on my phone. Music that is intended to get blood pumping, because it causes stress when its unexpected. You dont even have to play it loudly. My dice-fixing is basically non-existant (only swarm and OEs really, but I will confire as well) and I frequently use upgrades that are too expensive or just different.

I'll also play Magic with my hand revealed at all times, or in Armada Ill just tell people whats coming up in a ships command stack. I am 100% telling the truth every time I do, but it still causes doubt or throws a wrench in plans. Its fun to watch, and I am sure a nightmare to play against.

8 hours ago, Gilarius said:

Well, with an invitation like that...

Amongst my local group of new players, is one who likes big battleships and the Imperials. Last time we played, he used a Cymoon, an ISD2, and a handful of Tie Fighter aces vs my copy of a Thrawn ISD2, Squall, and a large squadron group. He killed my Mauler Mithel... and felt very aggrieved about how powerful the squadrons were compared to his battleships.

Since then, I have been playing Rebels in preparation for a Correllian Conflict campaign.

I tried out 4 Hammerhead Scouts, Salvation, a CR90 as my flagship for Leia, and 3 rogues in two games, winning both easily, as my forces managed to wipe out almost everything they faced. I intend to see how dropping the squadrons and Salvation to fit in an MC80 Battle Cruiser works. Link to my fleet: Leia's Heap of Junk.

If I suggest my friend tries out your fleet, how well do you think we are likely to fare? We have a similar (lack of) skill and I will pass on any advice you can give so he benefits as much as I will.

Without knowing anything about the playstyle of your friend, I am afraid he is likely to struggle a bit. Engagement management is key to success with a list containing multiple close range threats like mine. You need to be avoiding contact that you cannot reply to, without taking away the possibility that you can attack. In an ideal situation, only Chimaera or Demolisher is actively at black range at any given time, or if they both are, one of them is in a position such that they will a. survive, and b. their target will still be in their optimal arcs should the opponent choose to activate that ship first.

On paper, all of that is quite simple. In practice it is much more difficult, and I would counsel your friend to be patient. He's going to lose Demo, he's going to lose Chimaera, and from time to time he's going to get tabled. I have a long list of experience, my dual ISD list in particular, that really helps me line up and get the double arcs required to make this list sing. I also have probably about six months experience with the list from last summer that my writeup only somewhat mentioned that was aggressive experimentation and changes that led me to the list and the attack patterns I used at NOVA. He's going to have to experiment, and he's going to have to remember that defeat is the best teacher, and that discretion is the better part of valor. If he can do all that, he can probably play the list for a few weeks and perhaps start finding success with it. The record of tournament-winning lists having success with netlisting is very seldom, but he's more than welcome to try and to continue to ask questions of me, either through you or personally. I wish him the best of luck.