railwayman001

Why is It that the Rereleased Rebel Alliance A-Wing Will Be the Rebels Version and Not the Return of the Jedi Version?

2 hours ago, Rouge Five said:

As much as I love the OT and most of the “Legends” (can we just make it a multiverse so those stories still exist?)

Good news! This is basically the way it works! Disney is still printing and selling the Legends books. They're simply saying that Disney sponsored writers won't have to adhere to Legends stories if they want to contradict Legends stories. 

This was basically the way George Lucas operated with respect to Legends, so I don't consider it a huge change.

14 hours ago, Maui. said:

If you've gotten the Rebel conversion kit, then there won't be any new components in the rerelease, so no worries there.

IIRC, the blue paint scheme was actually the original, changed to red before or during shooting because it didn't show up against the blue screen they used for filming space battles.

it was green but didn't work with green screens so changed to red.

2 hours ago, Rouge Five said:

I’m not surprised with the color scheme, being that the generic pilot is Phoenix Squadron. I like the paint better than the original release. Might get one.

I also think the switch to Phoenix Squadron is not just a draw for younger players, which would work, but Rebels is really the only on screen featured A-Wing stories. ROTJ has A-Wings as minor characters. We don’t really get to know them. Phoenix squadron has several seasons. 

If we are going to make an A-Wing complaint, let’s ask for Tycho back (not pilot skill, just the name)! Was hoping for him in card pack.

The best thing for this game is recognizing that Star Wars is a generational story. As much as I love the OT and most of the “Legends” (can we just make it a multiverse so those stories still exist?), my daughter loves Rey. She will fly (really well for a seven year old) only Rey and Poe, and had to have the Resistance Heroes pack. If she got into Rebels, she would want to fly Ghost and a blue A-Wing.

Besides, the A-Wings always changed color in the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games based on the squadron name, so I got used to different colors.

That’s my two cents. 

Tychos 1E pilot ability could be imported over no problem. 

Just to be clear, I really like the new paint scheme. I was agreeing with the OP that it did seem odd that it was released in a paint scheme that wasn’t the original. I believe FFG is doing this on purpose, “you won’t have to rebuy ships you already own”, yet I’ve bought 2 B’s after already having 4 (2 of each paint) & 2 Z-95’s after having 8(4 of each previous paint). I’ll be purchasing 2 M3-A’s after having 6(3 of each paint) and I’ll be purchasing 2 A’s after having 6(3 of each paint). And we won’t even get into the Hound’s Tooth.😂🤣 

9 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Tychos 1E pilot ability could be imported over no problem. 

Considering most of the other stress ignoring abilities have an upper limit, I would bet Tycho would get a “three or less stress” clause to his ability, or some such.

So the new paint scheme is different from the red one, but it's also different from the basic Phoenix Squadron Pilot scheme (from the Rebel Aces pack) as well. This specific paint scheme shows up on-screen on the original Phoenix Leader who was shot down over Ibaar by the same blockade that the first B-Wing was commissioned to punch through.

I think it's a cool nod. Hope they give him a name 😛

3 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

So the new paint scheme is different from the red one, but it's also different from the basic Phoenix Squadron Pilot scheme (from the Rebel Aces pack) as well. This specific paint scheme shows up on-screen on the original Phoenix Leader who was shot down over Ibaar by the same blockade that the first B-Wing was commissioned to punch through.

I think it's a cool nod. Hope they give him a name 😛

Um... The aces pack A-Wing is the old Ralph McQuarrie color scheme from his concept art. If Phoenix Leader (the one Hera replaced) had that paint scheme then that was the Rebels series artist paying homage.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Um... The aces pack A-Wing is the old Ralph McQuarrie color scheme from his concept art. If Phoenix Leader (the one Hera replaced) had that paint scheme then that was the Rebels series artist paying homage.

The aces pack A-Wing is the old Ralph McQuarrie color scheme from his concept art, and the rank-and-file Phoenix Squadron Pilots all have that scheme.

The one in this expansion is different though (similar but not the same), and is the scheme of the A-Wing Hera replaced. There's a picture of his ship going down on his Wookieepedia page:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Phoenix_Leader_(Ibaar)

200?cb=20160718023143

Honestly, I actually really like the scheme of Hera's A-Wing as well, and would fly it all the time. A-Wings, like Aethersprites, have a lot of repaintability value.

latest?cb=20161101190255

Slightly disappointed it didn't get a resculpt, but it's kinda nice because it means I don't have to bother re-buying.

Edit: Added images.

Second Edit: Actually, it seems there were multiplles of both schemes (the one with the white triangle and the one with the two red lines). You can see two of one and three of the other here:

1000?cb=20150621064724

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

well it's probably already been covered, but I'd like to reiterate that every re-released model is different from the 1st ed version at least ito paintscheme

where the paint scheme was preserved, they've added like moving wings and an entirely revamped Y-wing etc. 

Unless you're an Imperial player.

TIE/ln with Inferno livery?  Nope.

TIE Defender with prototype stripes?  Nope.

TIE/in with bloodstripes or royal guard fins?  Nope.

I realize the Empire has pretty uniform livery (which I think is even now more uniform in the blue-gray over light gray options), which I why I especially lament the missed opportunities. . .

Edited by Darth Meanie

2 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I realize the Empire has pretty uniform livery (which I think is even now more uniform in the blue-gray over light gray options), which I why I especially lament the missed opportunities. . .

Echoing this bigtime. But those schemes SHOULD be held to special packs/kits...

AS FOR THE REST.

I LOVE THE PHOENIX A-WING. I love Rebels! It matters just as much as any of the movies do, dammit! And you know what, the A-Wing makes MOST of its canonical contributions there! So this paintscheme is JUST as noteworthy as the OG red, even though blue was always the true, intended colorscheme, if you know your stuff!

Gimme' my blue A-Wings! Honestly what I'd REALLY love is for them to be released with multiple paintschemes for sheer collectability- so you can peruse the various schemes. Of course this is more expensive and might jade the customers who want uniformly blue but...

>UNIFORMITY
>REBELLION

BAAAAHAHA.

no but really there shouldn't be. I even paint all of my individual Resistance ships different from one another, because they're ragtag. They may all follow a theme, but y'all know I have a designated A-Wing for each pilot? Truth! I mean that. I really do have it setup like that.

2 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Honestly what I'd REALLY love is for them to be released with multiple paintschemes for sheer collectability- so you can peruse the various schemes.

That might get me to buy some reprints.

The blue ones--whether Rebels or McQuarrie/Jake Farrel style--don't really do it for me, but I **LOVE** the gray and green Phoenix Squadron A-Wings.  That was my first A-Wing repaint.

IMG-1107.jpg

The other two are horrible visual puns, which X-Men fans might recognize.

IMG-1108.jpg

21 hours ago, Maui. said:

You might be able to find a single ship conversion for an A-wing on eBay.

I don't like ebay. I don't like bidding on items as if it's an auction, which is what ebay is. 

14 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

I'm right there with you. It's bizarre. Especially as this is the only ship they've done it with. Imagine if the standard X-Wing release was the green painted one from Rebels. 

But expect a bunch of people to take the time to tell you just how earnestly and importantly they don't care. 

Or expect a bunch of bull**** arguments about how Rebels is now more important and more relevant than RotJ and how stupid it is to want a game about ships from fictional movies to look like the ships in those fictional movies.

But the new B-Wing paint is to make it more movie accurate, not less. The old one was always wrong. The weird cream/off-white base colour always looked funky to me, the blue was way too washed out and the wash into the panel lines was way too heavy and dark. 

They could have done the same with the A-Wing and it would have been cool - the 1e red A-Wing was always the wrong shade, it's too bright/pink.

They've updated the paint on all the ships, and it's been with better accuracy in mind every single time (with the weird exception of making Vader's TIE blue), even the X-Wing got a more accurate base colour. 

My thoughts exactly on Vader's TIE! While it's true that grey-painted TIE/In fighters exist in the main series, we only see them in Episode IV. In Episodes V and VI, they're painted blue, as George Lucas always intended them to be. (They had to be painted grey in A New Hope because of the problems with blue screen at the time.) As for Vader's TIE, we only see it in Episode IV, and it's painted grey, so what's the deal with that? I wonder if this has to do with the fact that all TIE variants in the first edition didn't need re-sculpting, so maybe that's the reason why the A-wing got a different paint scheme this time.

1 minute ago, railwayman001 said:

I don't like ebay. I don't like bidding on items as if it's an auction, which is what ebay is. 

There's lots of stuff that's just for sale, not being auctioned off. Plenty of sellers operate through ebay, and the last time I checked there were three or four different people selling individual ship conversions there.

17 minutes ago, Maui. said:

There's lots of stuff that's just for sale, not being auctioned off. Plenty of sellers operate through ebay, and the last time I checked there were three or four different people selling individual ship conversions there.

Okay, didn't know.

3 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

We usually see eye to eye on most things, and while I’d really like some of the paint schemes you’ve listed, all the new Ties are a different shade of blue/grey. They are not quite the same as the ones that came with the Gonzati. The X1 is also a different shade from the one that came with the Raider, so technically they got upgraded paint jobs too. I really thought they were the same myself until I stowed them away with my older ones. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Echoing this bigtime. But those schemes SHOULD be held to special packs/kits...

That would be great except for the part where I'm dead of natural causes by the time they are released.

Honestly what I'd REALLY love is for them to be released with multiple paintschemes for sheer collectability

Ahem.

Greer Sonnel.  She's supposed to be in an RZ-1:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ossifrage

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Greer_Sonnel

Image result for greer sonnel a wing

Edited by Darth Meanie

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Vykk Draygo said:

We usually see eye to eye on most things, and while I’d really like some of the paint schemes you’ve listed, all the new Ties are a different shade of blue/grey. They are not quite the same as the ones that came with the Gonzati. The X1 is also a different shade from the one that came with the Raider, so technically they got upgraded paint jobs too. I really thought they were the same myself until I stowed them away with my older ones. 

Well, all I can say is the shade change is waaaaayyyyy too subtle to appreciate from a photograph, which doesn't make me want to plunk any extra cash on the "repaint."

To wit, I'm not going to get a new Falcon, Slave I or flappy T-65s/-70s cuz meh.  The main reason a grabbed a B-Wing is it flies horizontal!!  But I have picked up all the Scum Black Sun repaints.

I like the new Phoenix livery, and I'm with @Captain Lackwit that it's very nice to see the new storylines represented.

I guess that's also a reason I'm kinda peeved about the TIE Defender.  The NEW canon it that it was Thrawn's pet project.  I wanted to see it with the prototype markings, not the old computer game blah blah.  And yes, I can slap yellow bars on it.  But I would just do that on one I already have from 1.0, so too bad, FFG.

Seriously, I'm basically ******* because I want FFG to take my money, but I need a slick/significant repaint to make it happen.

Image result for prototype tie defender

Edited by Darth Meanie

47 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

That would be great except for the part where I'm dead of natural causes by the time they are released.

Ahem.

Greer Sonnel.  She's supposed to be in an RZ-1:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ossifrage

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Greer_Sonnel

Image result for greer sonnel a wing

unknown.png

Oh I know, that's why I designed an alternate RZ-2 for her. Figured if she was finally a fledged Resistance Pilot, she'd be given an RZ-2 proper.

L'ulo I can't logic away easily, but an RZ-1 paintjob on an RZ-2 is tight.