railwayman001

Why is It that the Rereleased Rebel Alliance A-Wing Will Be the Rebels Version and Not the Return of the Jedi Version?

Okay, Wave VI was announced today, and I am completely shocked, if not outright disappointed, that the miniature for the rereleased Rebel Alliance RZ-1 A-Wing Interceptor Expansion Pack will be painted in the blue-and-white colors of Phoenix Squadron from the Rebels TV show and NOT the red-and-white colors that the A-wings in Episode VI: Return of the Jedi had. For one, it should have been the Episode VI version (or at least miniatures depicting both paint schemes in a single pack) because that's the version we historically recognized. (The miniature depicting Obi-Wan Kenobi's Delta-7 Aethersprite should have been the ship included in the Delta-7 Aethersprite expansion, but that's another story for another day since I purchased both that pack and the Guardians of the Republic expansion so I can just switch ships anytime I want.) Second, FFG said that the painted plastic ships from the Aces and Veterans expansions (the Imperial Aces, Rebel Aces [of which the rereleased A-Wing Expansion's ship comes from], Most Wanted, Imperial Veterans, and Guns for Hire expansions) would not be rereleased (although if there's anything good about this I hope that this could be proof they're changing their mind because I want the Heroes of the Resistance Expansion, which was also considered an "Aces and Veterans" expansion even though it contained movie ships, specifically Poe Dameron's X-wing and the sequel trilogy Millennium Falcon), so I wonder what the deal is here. Third, it means I have to keep the miniature ship from the OLD A-wing expansion and replace the miniature included in the new expansion with it so that I can play a movie series A-wing with newer and tournament-legal components. How ridiculous. I had a strange feeling that this would happen, and now my suspicions have been confirmed. Does anyone else think that the rereleased Rebel Alliance A-wing's miniature should have been the movie ship? I just wanted to know.

They seem to be rereleasing a lot of ships with paint schemes not already in circulation.  *Three* Scum rereleases have new paint schemes so far, including two with a Black Sun scheme different from all of the Black Sun stuff from before.  The new B-Wing is also differently-colored.

If you've gotten the Rebel conversion kit, then there won't be any new components in the rerelease, so no worries there.

IIRC, the blue paint scheme was actually the original, changed to red before or during shooting because it didn't show up against the blue screen they used for filming space battles.

16 minutes ago, Vykk Draygo said:

While I can agree on the lack of OT colors for the A in this expansion, the paint scheme is not the same as the Rebel Aces version. 

Okay, yeah, you're right, sorry. I confused Phoenix Squadron's scheme with that of the original concept paint scheme that Ralph McQuarrie came up with for Episode VI because I had read that when the A-wing was going to appear in "Rebels," the ship's paint scheme would be based on McQuarrie's original concept design. 

22 minutes ago, Matanui3 said:

They seem to be rereleasing a lot of ships with paint schemes not already in circulation.  *Three* Scum rereleases have new paint schemes so far, including two with a Black Sun scheme different from all of the Black Sun stuff from before.  The new B-Wing is also differently-colored.

Yeah, the new B-wing is somewhat differently painted, but it's still the same paint scheme from Episode VI, just modified to become more realistic.

23 minutes ago, Maui. said:

If you've gotten the Rebel conversion kit, then there won't be any new components in the rerelease, so no worries there.

IIRC, the blue paint scheme was actually the original, changed to red before or during shooting because it didn't show up against the blue screen they used for filming space battles.

What I will have to do is since I still have the 1st edition A-wing expansion, I will simply have to buy the new pack and switch miniatures. 

1 minute ago, railwayman001 said:

What I will have to do is since I still have the 1st edition A-wing expansion, I will simply have to buy the new pack and switch miniatures. 

You might be able to find a single ship conversion for an A-wing on eBay.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, railwayman001 said:

I have to keep the miniature ship from the OLD A-wing expansion and replace the miniature included in the new expansion with it so that I can play a movie series A-wing with newer and tournament-legal components. How ridiculous. I had a strange feeling that this would happen, and now my suspicions have been confirmed. Does anyone else think that the rereleased Rebel Alliance A-wing's miniature should have been the movie ship? I just wanted to know.

A.  So if you have the old A-wing, why is this an issue?

B.  When I bitched about a Limited Edition paint job Vulture, no one cared, because it plays just the same.  At least this is available to all players at MSRP without a bunch of scalpers f*cking over the community.  As every one said then, you can feel free to paint it.

C.  I have the old one(s).  It's an enticement for veterans to pick up a new ship expac.  Actually, I'm I'm disappointed that the TIE Defender doesn't feature yellow prototype stripes.   I'm annoyed and would like to see the Empire get some repaints when possible, since every other faction is.  Odds are, even as an Imperial player, I'll buy another A-wing but NOT another Defender for exactly those reasons. 

Edited by Darth Meanie

Posted (edited)

That caught my eye as well, though I had forgotten about the Aethersprite.

I think the basic releases should always be the movie looks, because they're generally the most iconic and easy to sell someone on the game. It is a disappointing side effect, to me, of Second Edition, that they seem to be trying to do some things differently with the basic releases (for the sake of veterans over new players I guess?), even though I think those should always be the same in order for maximum recognizability.

Also, I really thought that they'd stay away from blue color schemes on the RZ-1 because of the RZ-2. Seemed a fairly easy place to avoid some accidental confusion outside of custom paint jobs.

Edited by Jokubas

I'm right there with you. It's bizarre. Especially as this is the only ship they've done it with. Imagine if the standard X-Wing release was the green painted one from Rebels. 

But expect a bunch of people to take the time to tell you just how earnestly and importantly they don't care. 

Or expect a bunch of bull**** arguments about how Rebels is now more important and more relevant than RotJ and how stupid it is to want a game about ships from fictional movies to look like the ships in those fictional movies.

6 hours ago, Matanui3 said:

The new B-Wing is also differently-colored.

But the new B-Wing paint is to make it more movie accurate, not less. The old one was always wrong. The weird cream/off-white base colour always looked funky to me, the blue was way too washed out and the wash into the panel lines was way too heavy and dark. 

They could have done the same with the A-Wing and it would have been cool - the 1e red A-Wing was always the wrong shade, it's too bright/pink.

They've updated the paint on all the ships, and it's been with better accuracy in mind every single time (with the weird exception of making Vader's TIE blue), even the X-Wing got a more accurate base colour. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Or expect a bunch of bull**** arguments about how Rebels is now more important and more relevant than RotJ and how stupid it is to want a game about ships from fictional movies to look like the ships in those fictional movies.

To the kids and teens who grew up with Rebels, it is just as relevant if not more.

There seems to be this (in my opinion) very poor attitude in the community that if it’s not in the film it is somehow less important or not relevant. A very poor opinion to have.

Edited by Ebak

I'm old school trilogy generation and I'm totally okay with this. From a marketing standpoint it seems like a good strategy for ffg too. It appeals to the younger fans, and like Darth Meanie suggests, it's a good way to sucker veterans into buying a new model as well. I have several of the reds. I'll actually pick up one or two of these new ones. I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

My only "paint scheme" gripe is with the new Scyk, but that's only because it doesn't actually have any Black Sun pilots to go with it 😄

1 hour ago, Ebak said:

To the kids and teens who grew up with Rebels, it is just as relevant if not more.

There seems to be this (in my opinion) very poor attitude in the community that if it’s not in the film it is somehow less important or not relevant. A very poor opinion to have.

I'm all for bringing stuff in from Rebels and Clone Wars. I find those series far more appealing than anything in the last four feature films. 

10 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

C.  I have the old one(s).  It's an enticement for veterans to pick up a new ship expac.  Actually, I'm I'm disappointed that the TIE Defender doesn't feature yellow prototype stripes.   I'm annoyed and would like to see the Empire get some repaints when possible, since every other faction is.  Odds are, even as an Imperial player, I'll buy another A-wing but NOT another Defender for exactly those reasons. 

This is the reason.  I'll be buying a new A-wing because of the new paint job.  I wouldn't buy it otherwise since I have three already.  I am NOT buying a Defender because I also own three and it's the same old paint.  If it was a new paint job, I would buy it. I bought the new Z-95 solely for the new paint. I bought the new B-Wing because of the excellent work they did with the moving parts.   (I should also point out that I ate, drank, and slept ROTJ as a child.  It's still my favorite SW movie, so it has nothing to do with "new" fans vs. "old.")

Many people thought the new A-wing would release with the Phoenix squadron paint scheme as a companion to an epic ship, so it's nice they're releasing it on its own so people don't have to buy a huge ship they may not want.

I’m not surprised with the color scheme, being that the generic pilot is Phoenix Squadron. I like the paint better than the original release. Might get one.

I also think the switch to Phoenix Squadron is not just a draw for younger players, which would work, but Rebels is really the only on screen featured A-Wing stories. ROTJ has A-Wings as minor characters. We don’t really get to know them. Phoenix squadron has several seasons. 

If we are going to make an A-Wing complaint, let’s ask for Tycho back (not pilot skill, just the name)! Was hoping for him in card pack.

The best thing for this game is recognizing that Star Wars is a generational story. As much as I love the OT and most of the “Legends” (can we just make it a multiverse so those stories still exist?), my daughter loves Rey. She will fly (really well for a seven year old) only Rey and Poe, and had to have the Resistance Heroes pack. If she got into Rebels, she would want to fly Ghost and a blue A-Wing.

Besides, the A-Wings always changed color in the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games based on the squadron name, so I got used to different colors.

That’s my two cents. 

12 hours ago, XPav said:

Can I get a P. A. R. A. G. R. A. P. H. 

This is Posdnuos, the president of a paragraph

Paragraph
President
President preaching 'bout the on-tech,
Known for the new step,
Stop and take a bow

Amityville
Resident
Resident supported by the speaker view