Jump to content
Cloaker

One list, 79 components... Yikes!

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Cloaker said:

Question... Are crit tokens mandatory? Never thought about that before. 

None of the people in my play group uses them, including a couple who go to tournaments all the time.  I would think they'd use them out of habit if they were required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Dasharr said:

I recently looked up the rules reference on this subject because I wanted to check if they counted as red tokens (for Lt Rivas' ability), and as far as I can see, no rules text under attacks or damage instructs a player to place a crit token if there's a face-up damage card. So it seems that they're best-practice but not mandatory.

They are in the rulebook, not the RRG

Rulebook page 9:

” Some of the faceup damage cards have lingering game effects. If a ship is dealt a faceup damage card with
a persistent effect, place a critical damage marker next to it to remind players of that persistent effect.”

you will also find them on the back page under “List of Markers” indicating that they are Markers, not Tokens. 

Edited by skotothalamos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skotothalamos said:

They are in the rulebook, not the RRG

Rulebook page 9:

” Some of the faceup damage cards have lingering game effects. If a ship is dealt a faceup damage card with
a persistent effect, place a critical damage marker next to it to remind players of that persistent effect.”

you will also find them on the back page under “List of Markers” indicating that they are Markers, not Tokens. 

Thanks for the info. I had already concluded that the crit markers weren't classed as red tokens for Rivas (because the section on tokens in the RRG specifies that red tokens are square, and the crits are hexagonal) but I hadn't seen that section of the rules that instructs their use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2019 at 2:05 AM, Cloaker said:

So yesterday I was using this list

Sol Sixxa (46)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Seismic Charges (3)
Proximity Mines (6)

Captain Nym (48)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Seismic Charges (3)
Proton Bombs (5)

Lok Revenant (45)
Proximity Mines (6)
Seismic Charges (3)

Mining Guild Surveyor (25)
Intimidation (3)
Total: 199

Components;

12 dice (2018 regional set I bought very reasonably from Paul LaRue, I just have to bring them ALL) 

3 range rulers 

11 templates

13 charge tokens

12 shield tokens 

4 focus tokens 

6 proximity mine tokens

4 seismic / proton bombs tokens 

3 Ion tokens (in case the crit happens) 

6 stress tokens 

1 evade token 

4 lock tokens 

79 tokens in all. Man, by the time I was done putting everything up, I was wiped out. 

I love my crackwing but I wonder how it can get a bit leaner on the components... I never want to fly a triple bomb list again! My poor opponent was a good sport while I was bathing in token chaos. We did get in 11 turns though, that was impressive. (been working on my pace of play) 

 

Anyways, it was quite the organizational challenge... Props to all you mates out there that manage it! 

You forgot 33 damage cards, 4 dials, 4 base plates.... :D

Sorry but that sounds just unorganized. Do yourself a favor and get a tournament kit ready. I have a small one that contains all tokens and dice that I ever need. And no - its not big (just double sided - the second side thats not seen hold my damage deck, pegs, dice and obstacles. My templates are in a tray (you can get them from buythesametoken or Cog O Two - both from the UK but if you live in the US you surely have some suppliers too) that exactly fits my Feldherr bag that I use for transporting my list.

 

To be honest - I think it is rude to your opponent to have a disorganized play area. I had so many opponents where you could not tell anymore whats used up, which generic ship is which and so on.

 

 

 

Tournament kit.jpg

Edited by beardxofxdeath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dasharr said:

Thanks for the info. I had already concluded that the crit markers weren't classed as red tokens for Rivas (because the section on tokens in the RRG specifies that red tokens are square, and the crits are hexagonal) but I hadn't seen that section of the rules that instructs their use.

They're not red tokens because they don't actually have any game effect.  If I remove a stress token, my ship is no longer stressed.  If I remove a crit token, my ship still has a face-up damage card.  The crit tokens are just reminders; not the what actually determines if you have the effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 9:22 AM, beardxofxdeath said:

You forgot 33 damage cards, 4 dials, 4 base plates.... :D

Sorry but that sounds just unorganized. Do yourself a favor and get a tournament kit ready. I have a small one that contains all tokens and dice that I ever need. And no - its not big (just double sided - the second side thats not seen hold my damage deck, pegs, dice and obstacles. My templates are in a tray (you can get them from buythesametoken or Cog O Two - both from the UK but if you live in the US you surely have some suppliers too) that exactly fits my Feldherr bag that I use for transporting my list.

To be honest - I think it is rude to your opponent to have a disorganized play area. I had so many opponents where you could not tell anymore whats used up, which generic ship is which and so on.

 

No issues with being disorganized, but for newer players I bet it could be overwhelming.  When it affects pace of play, then the rude factor might be more valid. It doesn't affect my pace of play though. My opponent and I got in 11 rounds that game--he's a top tier Worlds caliber fella who has trained me to play fast, and I am willing to dance quick---our last 4 games together are north of 10 rounds each game. One we had yesterday in a store tournament had 13 ships on the table, 10 rounds. But yeah, it was a juggle during that bomb game. 

On the topic of rudeness and table etiquette, I think what's more rude is when a player isn't willing to explain interactions for their lists voluntarily. You know the types, they say "come read the card" etc etc. I find it more sporting,---if not in an ultra competitive environment and especially for newer players---to walk them through your lists and talk aloud theirs with them. It helps foster trust and understanding. One guy I played yesterday showed up to a 10 player tournament having only played the game once. By the time he got to me, he still was lining up ships ineffectively and missing key interactions on a loaded Decimator. I could have cared less about the tournament at that point, we just slowed the game down and walked through every step, and I did my best to explain to him benefits of target prioritization, modification logic, etc. We still got in 8 rounds.

But yeah, I find myself moving towards lists with less components now. Not sure if that's a good thing, but I usually average a 66% win rate so there it is I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...