namdoolb

Republic miniswarm + Ric

Posted (edited)

ARC-170 Starfighter - •“Sinker” - 57 •“Sinker” - Wolfpack Veteran (54) •Clone Commander Cody (3)

ARC-170 Starfighter - 104th Battalion Pilot - 42 104th Battalion Pilot - (42)

ARC-170 Starfighter - 104th Battalion Pilot - 42 104th Battalion Pilot - (42)

Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter - •Ric Olié - 50 •Ric Olié - Bravo Leader (42) Daredevil (3) •R2-C4 (5)

Total: 191/200 View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

So I've been brainstorming lists to use my lone N-1 starfighter whilst I wait for my LGS to get shipped their full order, and this is what I've landed on.

'Course I've not had chance to fly it yet (this weekend hopefully) but I thought I might get a little experienced feedback on it, maybe tweak a tiny bit before I use it.

My thoughts on this were that the arc-170's should me more than tough enough to tangle while I use Ric as an opportunistic attacker & preserve him as a late game piece.

I wouldn't mind FCS on Ric, or shield/hull upgrade on sinker, but I don't know if I can afford to put those on (I would quite like to win the bid here).

So yeah.... thoughts, feedback.. Is there anything you might change? Could I risk another upgrade or two or am I better off with the bid?

Edited by namdoolb
Fixed spacing on squad list

Ric Olié (42)    
    R4 Astromech (2)    

Ship total: 44  Half Points: 22  Threshold: 3    

"Sinker" (54)    
Ship total: 54  Half Points: 27  Threshold: 5    

Gold Squadron Trooper (25)    
Ship total: 25  Half Points: 13  Threshold: 3    

Total: 198    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Republic&d=v8ZsZ200Z333XWW5WY280XWWWWY321XWY321XWY321XWY321XW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

44 minutes ago, Danomight said:

I'm unsure about this one; have you flown it? And how was it?

I can see your list has evolved from the "sinker swarm" which is an interesting counterpoint to adapting from "3 arcs + jedi" like I was doing.

I just worry in this case that Ric might not bring to the table as much as the arc-170 he replaces.

I’m not sure a bid is necessary as your highest initiative is 5. I think adding shield upgrade making your total 199 wouldn’t be a bad idea. I’ve flown Ric with daredevil and it’s come in quite useful, especially with the free evade and r2-c4 giving mods on the attack with the evade. 

That being said Ric is a great flanker. He can do a lot but can’t take a lot of hits. When I flew Ric it was with 1 acr, 2 torrents, and Obi. It was so good. Used Ric to flank a tie swarm with Obi swooping around. My opponent had trouble with my beef and couldn’t take on Ric or Obi without getting 1-2 ties shot down by the arc and torrents. 

All in all n-1 starfighters are so much fun to fly. 

Looks fun to fly, plenty of meat for the other player to chew threw. My experience with flying these fast republic ships with the Arcs and Torrents is to use the speedsters (in this case the N-1) as flankers and expect them to not always be part of the formation.

i got this down for a few games at the weekend:

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Obi-Wan Kenobi - 58
    •Obi-Wan Kenobi - Guardian of the Republic (47)
        R4 Astromech (2)
        Calibrated Laser Targeting (4)
        Sense (5)

Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter - •Ric Olié - 50
    •Ric Olié - Bravo Leader (42)
        Daredevil (3)
        •R2-C4 (5)

V-19 Torrent Starfighter - Gold Squadron Trooper  - 25
    Gold Squadron Trooper  - (25)

V-19 Torrent Starfighter - Gold Squadron Trooper  - 25
    Gold Squadron Trooper  - (25)

ARC-170 Starfighter - 104th Battalion Pilot - 42
    104th Battalion Pilot - (42)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

lots of fun and it definetly has teeth.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Greebwahn said:

Ric with Juke, Sinker, a 104th, and 2 Torrents is a LOT of ships firing a lot of dice, respectably modded too!

Would have to greatly disagree with a 7 point Juke on any N-1. Much better off with R2-C4, Daredevil, R2 Astro-mech, torpedoes, and even Collision Detector. Even when you do get an evade with the attack, your not rolling more than 3 dice typically on an N-1 even with Ric, then they can just focus to counter. Meaning if you run into any focus/force/calculate centric team it makes the upgrade unusable.

Edited by Glattyator

Sure they can focus to counter, that's half the point of Juke, making their choice harder. And with Ric, potentially supported by Sinker, he can Focus, maybe reroll his own shot, Juke the other ship, and still have the token for defense, unlike R2-C4

Yes that is how Juke works, use your action economy's efficiency and decrease theirs. I have flown all of the N-1's in different compositions 50+ times and there is a reason why ALL competitive lists that carry an N-1 don't have juke because the action economy fight is not its strength.

The strength of N-1s are that it's a cost effective ship that hits fast and out maneuver ships, a pure arc dodger and its an arc dodger with only 2 natural dice on attack and defense (I **** near cried when my favorite ship came with no natural 3s :(). That being said the strengths you are looking to increase on the N-1 are time on target (daredevil), your offensive capabilities (R2-C4 and/or torps), and survivability (R2 astromech). 

My last bit to the inefficiency of Juke on the N-1 is the cost at 7 points and how often it will actually effect game state. N-1s do not have an evade on their action bar, the only way to get an evade token "naturally" is to fly at 3-5 and FULLY execute a maneuver (and not be stressed). So if you are putting a 7 point upgrade on a 35-47 point ship that is 20% of the ships cost and 5% of your entire list, on something that might get activated 1-2 times per game with 2-3 dice (the effective ships with Juke, like Phantom Whisper have 3-4 attack die) and has an easy counter. Its also really easy to prevent an N-1 gaining an evade token by blocking when the ships you are likely putting down a int. 4-5. If your against a swarm of any faction you don't have a prayer if the opponent is familiar with the N-1s capabilities. If Juke was back to its costs of 3-5 points the argument could hold water, but at 7 points for a competitive N-1.... I sincerely wish it was different.

52 minutes ago, Glattyator said:

Yes that is how Juke works, use your action economy's efficiency and decrease theirs. I have flown all of the N-1's in different compositions 50+ times and there is a reason why ALL competitive lists that carry an N-1 don't have juke because the action economy fight is not its strength.

The strength of N-1s are that it's a cost effective ship that hits fast and out maneuver ships, a pure arc dodger and its an arc dodger with only 2 natural dice on attack and defense (I **** near cried when my favorite ship came with no natural 3s :(). That being said the strengths you are looking to increase on the N-1 are time on target (daredevil), your offensive capabilities (R2-C4 and/or torps), and survivability (R2 astromech). 

My last bit to the inefficiency of Juke on the N-1 is the cost at 7 points and how often it will actually effect game state. N-1s do not have an evade on their action bar, the only way to get an evade token "naturally" is to fly at 3-5 and FULLY execute a maneuver (and not be stressed). So if you are putting a 7 point upgrade on a 35-47 point ship that is 20% of the ships cost and 5% of your entire list, on something that might get activated 1-2 times per game with 2-3 dice (the effective ships with Juke, like Phantom Whisper have 3-4 attack die) and has an easy counter. Its also really easy to prevent an N-1 gaining an evade token by blocking when the ships you are likely putting down a int. 4-5. If your against a swarm of any faction you don't have a prayer if the opponent is familiar with the N-1s capabilities. If Juke was back to its costs of 3-5 points the argument could hold water, but at 7 points for a competitive N-1.... I sincerely wish it was different.

would you  run Daredevil or predator as a talent along regen droid?

Daredevil all the way, gives you more options for outmaneuvering and time on target. Also since the only option on the N-1 to go 180 in a single turn is a 3 speed Talon roll (which takes away your evade token) and has your ship make a T shape Dardevil turns it into a greater distance with a U shape and you get a fancy evade token since your initial maneuver was white :D.

Predator is... ok with only 2 natural attack die 

I feel like predator might work with the r2 astro, if only because you can make use of the time off target to regen your shields.

Daredevil otoh is a better fit with r2-c4 because you can spend your action to boost & still have some attack mods. (And with the extra maneuverability afforded by daredevil you should be able to get out of arcs more often & therefore be able to spend the evade on offense with confidence).

Daredevil still works okay with the r2 astro, but I think you might have a little too much time on target to comfortably regen shields, and without extra attack mods 2 dice will be a little anemic.

That's my thoughts anyway, I do prefer the dd/r2c4 over pred/r2, but I do think they are both valid.

so i tried predator regen ric at the weekend to good effect - predator triggered a good 3/4 times and only once did i feel the need that i wanted daredevil, likely to stay with that load out i think. - regen was amazing on him, my opponent stripped his shields and was prety much 1/2 points on him, i bugged out twice and regened both and he didnt lose any again.

defo have to know when to bug out and come back though 

On 8/19/2019 at 9:49 AM, federalchipmunk1980 said:

so i tried predator regen ric at the weekend to good effect - predator triggered a good 3/4 times and only once did i feel the need that i wanted daredevil, likely to stay with that load out i think. - regen was amazing on him, my opponent stripped his shields and was prety much 1/2 points on him, i bugged out twice and regened both and he didnt lose any again.

defo have to know when to bug out and come back though 

You're lucky;

The x-wing scene at my lgs seems to have gone into hibernation. I can get a game of armada at the drop of a hat, but I'm still waiting to try the x-wing list out once against a human.

On 8/25/2019 at 5:17 PM, namdoolb said:

You're lucky;

The x-wing scene at my lgs seems to have gone into hibernation. I can get a game of armada at the drop of a hat, but I'm still waiting to try the x-wing list out once against a human.

that sucks man

thankfully i do have several LGS within an hour tops form me to take my pick form and all play regularly too 

any thoughts on this

3Jedis2N1s_New

(38) Jedi Knight [Delta-7 Aethersprite]

(42) Ric Olié [Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter]

(41) Anakin Skywalker [Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter]

Total points: 197