DarthSempai

Major Vonreg's Tie Interceptor

21 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Is that really Midnight kitted out like a 50-60 point ace??? wow. 

Yes, afterburners allowed midnight to survive, while squad takes out ships, less ships, midnight grows in into a mega beast. Also, afterburn passed a ship, setup lock, sloop and focus. Blamo. I love this build. Its a scary mofo for jedi.

On 8/8/2019 at 12:51 PM, wurms said:

Kylo,Guri,Obi, not an ace!?!? Blasphemy!! 😁

Inquisitor was like one of the best aces in 1.0 at ps8. 

Well, I always thought ps8-9 fit into the i6 slot. The ps8 Omega Leader is now i6 'Midnight', etc.

Ps8-9 pilots like Luke, Boba, and especially Kylo getting sent into the massive i5 pool with the ps6-7 pilots was a pretty huge nerf in my book.  

Now there's way too much focus on point bids and praying I won't see Wedge, Vader or Scum Fenn on the other side of the table.

10 hours ago, wurms said:

Yes, afterburners allowed midnight to survive, while squad takes out ships, less ships, midnight grows in into a mega beast. Also, afterburn passed a ship, setup lock, sloop and focus. Blamo. I love this build. Its a scary mofo for jedi.

Back when I ran OL a lot I always had a difficult choice between Engine Upgrade and Stealth Device, because I frequently ended up in positions where I really needed to boost out of arc, so afterburners is an excellent choice.

17 hours ago, StriderZessei said:

Now there's way too much focus on point bids and praying I won't see Wedge, Vader or Scum Fenn on the other side of the table.

I think the cost difference between bidding and going up to I6 is pretty similar in many cases, and makes both options quite viable. The expense of running high-I aces is fortunately what is making I3-4 begin to see a comeback.

49 minutes ago, StriderZessei said:

So, Vonreg with Pattern Analyzer: can he still use Fine-Tuned Thrusters after a red maneuver? 

Also, he's now playable on Fly Casual. Thanks, @Sandrem!

No. The ship ability is after full execution, so after the check stress step, and Pattern Analyser is between the Perform Maneuver and Check Stress steps of Executing Maneuver.

1 hour ago, StriderZessei said:

So, Vonreg with Pattern Analyzer: can he still use Fine-Tuned Thrusters after a red maneuver? 

Also, he's now playable on Fly Casual. Thanks, @Sandrem!

With Pattern Analyzer?  No.  With Primed Thrusters?  He could use Fine-Tuned Thrusters to barrel roll, but not to Lock.

So, Sandrem has Vonreg priced at 55 points. Been experimenting with the ship, and while I like the Fine-Tuned Thrusters, man-oh-man is Vonreg's ability clunky. At this point, I feel like you play him for his initiative.

He seems to really appreciate Pattern Analyzer, and Outmaneuver really helps him deal consistent damage, even if he depletes himself.

31 minutes ago, StriderZessei said:

So, Sandrem has Vonreg priced at 55 points. Been experimenting with the ship, and while I like the Fine-Tuned Thrusters, man-oh-man is Vonreg's ability clunky. At this point, I feel like you play him for his initiative.

He seems to really appreciate Pattern Analyzer, and Outmaneuver really helps him deal consistent damage, even if he depletes himself.

In what way is it clunky? It seems pretty streamlined, bullseye check in the system phase and done. I agree that nobody is taking him for his ability though.

7 hours ago, dsul413 said:

In what way is it clunky? It seems pretty streamlined, bullseye check in the system phase and done. I agree that nobody is taking him for his ability though.

I think it's because I had mis-read it repeatedly (I thought it activated in the engagement phase.)

I played him a couple of times together with SR Kylo. I gave him Lone Wolf, Pattern and Afterburners. 

Afterburners were awesome because they give Vonreg the ability to first boost and then barrel roll. Lone Wolf is always solid in a 2 ship list. 

Nevertheless do I prefer Soontir with a shield and predator especially because of Autothrusters. As always it comes down to the point costs. 

Edited by Ryuneke

4 hours ago, Ryuneke said:

I played him a couple of times together with SR Kylo. I gave him Lone Wolf, Pattern and Afterburners. 

Afterburners were awesome because they give Vonreg the ability to first boost and then barrel roll. Lone Wolf is always solid in a 2 ship list. 

Nevertheless do I prefer Soontir with a shield and predator especially because of Autothrusters. As always it comes down to the point costs. 

I too enjoy using Soontir in my First Order lists 😛

20 hours ago, StriderZessei said:

As if that wasn't already apparent. He's a double repo ace at I6. His card might as well read : on the first day of the summer solstice, roll and die and maybe get half a focus maybe... and he would still be played. 

As it should be. 

I6 should not have the best ability by default.

If you look at the spread, the I4 seems to have a particularly strong ability, probably costed something like pure sabacc in relation to duchess in the tie-striker. That's where the real fun is!

37 minutes ago, DarthSempai said:

As if that wasn't already apparent. He's a double repo ace at I6. His card might as well read : on the first day of the summer solstice, roll and die and maybe get half a focus maybe... and he would still be played. 

As it should be. 

I6 should not have the best ability by default.

Jeez, hostile much? 

11 hours ago, StriderZessei said:

Jeez, hostile much? 

My bad man, my point wasn't to antagonize you.

It's just that I really think that the pilot with the best I should never have the best ability, something that FFG took wayyy too much time to understand. So saying that the highest Init pilot of a ship that can easily leverage Init information is like saying ''Rocks fall when you drop them''. Yeah Of course! As it should be! :P

But yeah if you just look at the timing of his ability, it was clear it was never going to do much of anything. You give a token that they can immediately clear with a blue maneuver, in the same round. There's very few case where you'll have a ship in your bulleyes where they won't know to do a blue to immediately do a blue next round. But at the same time it's also absolutly free. You don't spend the force, you don't have a charge. The pilot ability probably cost a big zero compared to the price of the chassis and Init increase. I think it's good.

4 hours ago, DarthSempai said:

My bad man, my point wasn't to antagonize you.

It's just that I really think that the pilot with the best I should never have the best ability, something that FFG took wayyy too much time to understand. So saying that the highest Init pilot of a ship that can easily leverage Init information is like saying ''Rocks fall when you drop them''. Yeah Of course! As it should be! :P

But yeah if you just look at the timing of his ability, it was clear it was never going to do much of anything. You give a token that they can immediately clear with a blue maneuver, in the same round. There's very few case where you'll have a ship in your bulleyes where they won't know to do a blue to immediately do a blue next round. But at the same time it's also absolutly free. You don't spend the force, you don't have a charge. The pilot ability probably cost a big zero compared to the price of the chassis and Init increase. I think it's good.

Fair enough. For some reason, every time I read it, I saw, 'At the start of the engagement phase,' which made sense to me: if he's the FO's Soontir, then mirroring his ability makes sense.

But yeah, I'm a moron, so...