Jump to content
DarthSempai

Major Vonreg's Tie Interceptor

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Fangs come with afterburners but have no mod slot outside of quick builds. I wouldn’t assume it yet

When literally half the upgrades are missile-based though, I feel it's fairly safe to put it in the "very likely to have the slot" camp.

Concussions

Mag-Pulse

Munitions Failsafe

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its nice to consider something other than fanatical on a FO ship.  Fanatical been an auto include on too many of my lists.  

I really like composure on the Tie/ba.   Vonreg and outmaneuver make a lot of sense too.  This is going be a fun ship.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reqent said:

Its nice to consider something other than fanatical on a FO ship.  Fanatical been an auto include on too many of my lists.  

I really like composure on the Tie/ba.   Vonreg and outmaneuver make a lot of sense too.  This is going be a fun ship.

 

Agreed on fanatical, but fanatical is also a really, really good faction talent on the cheap. It has also been auto-include for me, but definitely not on this ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, reqent said:

Its nice to consider something other than fanatical on a FO ship.  Fanatical been an auto include on too many of my lists.  

I really like composure on the Tie/ba.   Vonreg and outmaneuver make a lot of sense too.  This is going be a fun ship.

 

Ohhhh **** composure is so good. 
Didn't realise this, but focus+evade is gonna be a thing for 1 point. That's pretty cool. Also let's you focus + boost, which you can't do normally.

I was waiting for a good composure ship to come out, and i'm surprised this ship is gonna be one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DarthSempai said:

Ohhhh **** composure is so good. 
Didn't realise this, but focus+evade is gonna be a thing for 1 point. That's pretty cool. Also let's you focus + boost, which you can't do normally.

I was waiting for a good composure ship to come out, and i'm surprised this ship is gonna be one!

I'm confident TIE/ba is  going to have more than one build.  The second player3010587 brought up composure it just clicked as a great budget build.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, reqent said:

I'm confident TIE/ba is  going to have more than one build.  The second player3010587 brought up composure it just clicked as a great budget build.  

But seriously outmaneuver is amazing if you want to splurge, and even Marksmanship could be an awesome cheap option to give him Vader-like punch (already has lock and focus anyway, and wants the bullseye). Who knows? Even Daredevil could be fantastic as he can lock or roll and then pull a red 1-turn boost...

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah there are going to be numerous viable  TIE/ba builds!  It's going to be a tough wait.  Hopefully they push these out earlier in the 4th quarter.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reqent said:

Yeah there are going to be numerous viable  TIE/ba builds!  It's going to be a tough wait.  Hopefully they push these out earlier in the 4th quarter.   

The X-Wing team has really gotten quite decent a turning out a platform that doesn't have just one auto-build out of the box like so many in 1st edition (Soontir, PTL; OL, Juke, Comm Relay; Scout, Deadeye, Plasmas, Chips; and so on). The N-1, the Hyena, and so many others now seem to have a variety of very different and all quite viable builds. Of course the best of the best tend to float to the surface, but the others are not far underneath.

I want to see the other TIE/ba pilots!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:14 PM, StriderZessei said:

Two shields is going to make it hard to use Fanatical before going pop. 

Definitely. It's only got 2 hull to work from, and may well be straining itself so only have 2 agility if it misjudged a Fine-Tuned token choice. That's not a great combination.

 

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:10 PM, reqent said:

I really like composure on the Tie/ba.  

19 hours ago, DarthSempai said:

Didn't realise this, but focus+evade is gonna be a thing for 1 point

I'm not sure I follow:

composure.jpg

Evade, fine tuned, failed boost.....and now composure triggers but I have a green token (an evade) and hence can't perform a focus action.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Definitely. It's only got 2 hull to work from, and may well be straining itself so only have 2 agility if it misjudged a Fine-Tuned token choice. That's not a great combination.

 

I'm not sure I follow:

composure.jpg

Evade, fine tuned, failed boost.....and now composure triggers but I have a green token (an evade) and hence can't perform a focus action.

 

 

Finely Tuned Controls triggers before your action, giving you a failed roll for composure, then you evade as your regular action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Finely Tuned Controls triggers before your action, giving you a failed roll for composure, then you evade as your regular action.

Ah. It's when you complete a maneuver, not when you perform an action. Missed that little detail.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Ah. It's when you complete a maneuver, not when you perform an action. Missed that little detail.

I would seem that they're avoiding action-linking more and more these days (except when actually on the bar). It makes sense, with all the coordinate stuff going on. If the A-Wing/Interceptor where actually designed today, they'd probably have the maneuver trigger too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I disagree.  The 'then do a red $whatever' things have to work that way.  They're designed to combo with strong blue dials, without needing to print a card which has a linked boost or roll or whatever after every action.  Given that both the RZ2 and the Silencer are fairly recent designs, I'd be pretty surprised if we don't see that feature again at some point, e.g. the Eta-2 or Tri Fighter.  You couldn't have a free red action after a move, because it would block your perform action step.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'll be interested to see how expensive the First Order P(atrol?) is.

It's definitely a better basic chassis than the interceptor, but how much better? You can fit 5 Saber Squadron Aces in a squad, and they're initiative 4 like many uniques, and you can fit 5 Inquisitors in and they have force tokens.

On the other hand, the TIE/ba is unarguably tougher than the interceptor and better armed than the advanced prototype. I think being able to field 5 may be pushing it, so four with a smattering of talents, tech, missiles and named pilots seems more likely. I agree that it's probably quite likely that the generic pilot is roughly equivalent to a specfor gunner equipped TIE/sf; trading agility for toughness and manoeuvrability for the mobile arc of fire.

3 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

I disagree.  The 'then do a red $whatever' things have to work that way.  They're designed to combo with strong blue dials, without needing to print a card which has a linked boost or roll or whatever after every action.  Given that both the RZ2 and the Silencer are fairly recent designs, I'd be pretty surprised if we don't see that feature again at some point, e.g. the Eta-2 or Tri Fighter.  You couldn't have a free red action after a move, because it would block your perform action step.

Tying it to the maneuver is still sensible  because it does genuinely produce a different - slightly inferior - set of maneuver options. It's still slightly better than ailerons (duchess aside) since it's optional (albeit with a cost) but the fact you can't chain roll/boost, or - worse yet - pre-move roll-boost like Kylo with Supernaturally Expensive Upgrade does result in a noticeable difference.

 

 

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

I disagree.  The 'then do a red $whatever' things have to work that way.  They're designed to combo with strong blue dials, without needing to print a card which has a linked boost or roll or whatever after every action.  Given that both the RZ2 and the Silencer are fairly recent designs, I'd be pretty surprised if we don't see that feature again at some point, e.g. the Eta-2 or Tri Fighter.  You couldn't have a free red action after a move, because it would block your perform action step.

Possibly, but I'd wager this is why the TIE Interceptor and Rebel A-Wing see so little play, and why Turr Phennir and Jake Farrell are much less useful than, say, Mace Windu. The 'designed to work with blue dial' design philosophy forces you to either a) be supremely predictable, or b) not use your ability at all, unless you know exactly where your opponent will be.

The TIE Striker, Aethersprite, Resistance A-Wing and now TIE/ba are all much better designs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm almost thinking Homing Missiles might not be bad on these ships, depending on how Deplete works.  If it's just "strain for attack," you could use Fine Tuned to Deplete for a Lock, Focus as normal.  Then, Homing Missiles would be either a single damage, or a 3-dice Focus/Lock attack, while keeping your defenses at 3-green + Focus levels.

Maybe that's not broken enough to see play, and we don't actually know how Deplete works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Okapi said:

Possibly, but I'd wager this is why the TIE Interceptor and Rebel A-Wing see so little play, and why Turr Phennir and Jake Farrell are much less useful than, say, Mace Windu. The 'designed to work with blue dial' design philosophy forces you to either a) be supremely predictable, or b) not use your ability at all, unless you know exactly where your opponent will be.

The TIE Striker, Aethersprite, Resistance A-Wing and now TIE/ba are all much better designs.

Yeah but the silencer and the RZ2 are fine.  It's not a problem with the principle of auto-linked actions, it's a problem with the RZ1 and Squint chassis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Okapi said:

The 'designed to work with blue dial' design philosophy forces you to either a) be supremely predictable, or b) not use your ability at all, unless you know exactly where your opponent will be.

Or, ya know, gives you meaningful choices to make.

Kind of a silly point to make as it's not like you have to do just one or the other for the entire game. Using a white makes you unpredictable. Using a blue makes you versatile. The nice thing is you get to choose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Or, ya know, gives you meaningful choices to make.

Kind of a silly point to make as it's not like you have to do just one or the other for the entire game. Using a white makes you unpredictable. Using a blue makes you versatile. The nice thing is you get to choose.

In theory, but it doesn't work particularly well in practice, which is why Soontir Fel is the only Interceptor that see play, and why Rebel players are constantly asking for an I5-6 A-Wing. The Resistance A-Wing is a much better design in that it not only offers more options (which you appear to be in favour of), but actually works at lower initiatives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, reqent said:

I hope you can run 4 they should be cheaper than silencers.  I'm really hoping the initiative 4 and the 5 are good too.  

I'd be shocked if you can't run 4. If you play quick-build games, for that matter, you can run 4 silencers - the Sienar-Jaemus Engineer is only threat 2 (admittedly with no upgrades, but that's a whole lotta chassis for something no more expensive than a TIE fighter with a shield upgrade.

I think 5  might be pushing it - compare it to strikers, advanced prototypes and interceptors and it's probably just that bit too much more capable a craft. I would probably expect the initial points value to be a 'you can't take 5, so sorry' value of 41 or thereabouts for the I3 generic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Okapi said:

Possibly, but I'd wager this is why the TIE Interceptor and Rebel A-Wing see so little play, and why Turr Phennir and Jake Farrell are much less useful than, say, Mace Windu. The 'designed to work with blue dial' design philosophy forces you to either a) be supremely predictable, or b) not use your ability at all, unless you know exactly where your opponent will be.

The TIE Striker, Aethersprite, Resistance A-Wing and now TIE/ba are all much better designs.

If the TIE Interceptor and RZ-1 A-wing see so little play it's because they're ace platforms, and between them they field exactly one ace. That one ace sure sees tons of play.

Personally I think the RZ-1 is not bad. 30 points for a very effective ps1 blocker, or 38 points for an even more effective ps3 blocker, or 38-40 points for a solid support piece in Jake Farrell. I would love to see the RZ-1 get more options--for me, it's at the top of the list of "ships that desperately need more pilots"--but the options it does have are solid, even if people aren't regularly taking them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

1. I'm just now realizing how great the synergy will be with Kylo Ren's ability and the new Mag-Pulse Warheads. 

2. I'm really hopeful Rush will be an affordable i6 to run with Vonreg and QD, albeit probably with few upgrades. An actual triple aces list is something I've been dying to run with FO.

3. I'm going to stick with Outmaneuver on Vonreg, simply because I hate how scummy it feels when intentionally falling an action to token stack with Composure. 

Edited by StriderZessei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...