mazz0

Isn't anyone else gobsmacked at the price of the new large ships?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Jabbawookie said:

The phase ones are, yes.  The phase twos have been announced with a 40% price hike.

This is incorrect. The original posted price of $35 for the B2s and Phase II Clone Troopers was an error and their correct price is $25 according to the Legion forums. Not sure why it hasn't been corrected on the site.

Unless I totally misread something. Which is a distinct possibility.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

1 hour ago, ClassicalMoser said:

This is incorrect. The original posted price of $35 for the B2s and Phase II Clone Troopers was an error and their correct price is $25 according to the Legion forums. Not sure why it hasn't been corrected on the site.

Unless I totally misread something. Which is a distinct possibility.

I saw this claim being made, but the only source was this article:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/8/1/manufactured-might/

In which I see no indication that's true.  You might well be correct, but I have yet to find any evidence.

2 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

I saw this claim being made, but the only source was this article:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/8/1/manufactured-might/

In which I see no indication that's true.  You might well be correct, but I have yet to find any evidence.

You may be right, then. It would perplex me, though I am aware that they're now using hard plastic sprues, which could factor into a price increase. It doesn't make sense of the change for the droid army though; the B-1 droids cost the same as any other corps expansion.

Posted (edited)

I'd really like to own the SSD but as a widower with just my income coming into the house I simply can't justify paying £180 or so for a piece of plastic when I have bills to pay. It's real life and unfortunately that's the way it is.

I really enjoy Star Wars Armada, I think it's a great game but if the requirement to keep up is that I have to spend £180 on a ship then I'll just play with what I have and print off the upgrade cards that come with the SSD. I'm not really interested in competitions and I only collect Imperial ships anyway. I enjoy 400 point Imperials vs Rebels games and big sector level battles. The group that I play with would have no problem whatsoever with me using SSD upgrade cards printed from the internet.

I'll own the ship one day but after I buy a new sofa and redecorate the downstairs of my house. Until then I still have 2 ISDs, 3 Victories, 2 Interdictors, 2 Gladiators, 2 Raiders, 2 Gozantis, a Cruiser Carrier, an Arquitens and multiples of every fighter the Imperials have. If that's not enough to have fun with then I don't know what is!

Edited by Bolshevik6

16 hours ago, Forresto said:

It’s absolutely justified if the models are larger and more detailed.

It costs what it costs, nobody is forced to buy it and if FFG are shifting the number of units and making the level of profit on it that they require then the cost is absolutely justified, you're quite right. 

My only concern would be if players had to buy the SSD in order to get the upgrade cards to be competitive in games. FFG did this with X Wing, requiring people to buy expensive huge ships in order to get important upgrades. That, along with the dominance of obscure fighters that maybe appeared in a comic once but certainly weren't in the films and an FAQ longer than the rules themselves put me off X Wing for a long time. In fairness the 2nd edition is a better game.

I'm not saying FFG are going down the "pay to win" route with Armada, I have no evidence either way. Meantime I can either pay my gas and electricity bill or buy an SSD. The bill is going to win that contest sadly. Unfortunately for many of us that's reality, hobbies come second to essentials.

1 hour ago, Bolshevik6 said:

It costs what it costs, nobody is forced to buy it and if FFG are shifting the number of units and making the level of profit on it that they require then the cost is absolutely justified, you're quite right. 

My only concern would be if players had to buy the SSD in order to get the upgrade cards to be competitive in games. FFG did this with X Wing, requiring people to buy expensive huge ships in order to get important upgrades. That, along with the dominance of obscure fighters that maybe appeared in a comic once but certainly weren't in the films and an FAQ longer than the rules themselves put me off X Wing for a long time. In fairness the 2nd edition is a better game.

I'm not saying FFG are going down the "pay to win" route with Armada, I have no evidence either way. Meantime I can either pay my gas and electricity bill or buy an SSD. The bill is going to win that contest sadly. Unfortunately for many of us that's reality, hobbies come second to essentials.

Lucky there are no game breaker cards in the SSD box and it’s not going to change the meta as far as I can see. It’s more of a fun Easter egg for the armada obsessed.

The new £25 campaign is going to be meta changing and that’s well costed and affordable.

Posted (edited)

Edit: ninja’d

Well it doesn’t seem like any of the upgrades that come with the SSD are “necessary” to be competitive.  Aside from the titles (obviously pointless if you don’t have one) and some reprinted upgrades, you only have the commanders and the officer upgrades to consider.

Commanders: Piett is great, and I’m a huge fan, but he really seems more useful on an SSD with their ready access to tokens.  The fact that he needs to be exhausted also means he’s only helping one ship a turn.  Ergo, better with an SSD.  Palpatine just looks really expensive for an effect that, while nice, just doesn’t compete IMHO with Vader or Jerry.

Officers: this gets a little more sticky.  Palp is ok, but much better when you are running few ships so the opponent doesn’t just target something else.  Ozzel is nice, but outside of an SSD, what else really benefits a lot from a pre-game speed-1 maneuver?  Especially to the exclusion of other officers?  Commander Gherant seems utterly meh to me, and Lira Wessex is very good, especially if you can guarantee a steady supply of engineering tokens.  Krennic is an overcosted situational source of re-rolls.

Vader as an officer is where things get interesting.  Imperials have a fair number of “at the start of the first round” officers, and Vader turns them into disposable re-rolls after they do their job.  Much better than Krennic, IMHO.  You take Ozzel, Titus, and Needa on an SSD and Vader on a nearby flotilla gives you a free move, an evade in place of a contain, and the ability to screw with an enemy ships speed and plan.  Then you get 3 re-rolls.  For a point less than Krennic.

Anyway, my point is that it seems like most upgrades in the set are unnecessary, though cool, and if you really want Vader Officer, print one off.

Edited by FatherTurin

On 8/7/2019 at 5:19 PM, Mon Cala Blue said:

One of my big frustrations with the New Canon is that they finally had an opportunity to clean up all the discrepancies that arose from three decades of material but they only keep creating new discrepancies and inaccuracies. 

Home One, now MC80a, was always supposed to be the largest and most advanced MC80 but it now has a smaller armament than the standard MC80. Furthermore, two official sources list different lengths, one as 1200m and another 1300m, while MC80s range from 1200-1500m. They haven't even been using the most recent old canon but rather random old canon. 

Then there is the absurdity of the armaments on the new trilogy ships which range from absurdly high to absurdly low. The Resurgent-class originally had 5000 turbolasers alone before having its entire armament reduce to the still ridiculous 1500. Meanwhile the MC85 has literally no weapons. 

The book "Ultimate Star Wars New Edition" states the following about MC85 cruisers: "It is also powerfully armed with 18 heavy turbolasers, 18 heavy ion cannons, 12 point defense laser cannons, and 6 proton torpedo launchers." and the Last Jedi novelization states that the Raddus can go toe-to-toe with Resurgents, so it's clear that when they say heavy turbolasers and ion cannons, the mean HEAVY. It appears that the design philosophy of the MC85 when it came to armament was quality over quantity, whereas the Resurgent's design philosophy obviously went the entire other way. The MC85 weapons seem to be much, much stronger than normal weapons.