mazz0

Isn't anyone else gobsmacked at the price of the new large ships?

1 hour ago, Ling27 said:

Also, No I am not gobsmacked...

I play Middle Earth SBG... the most pricy of the GW games.

I think this is 100% faction dependent, although needing 2 armies does make it a bit expensive 

Originally I wanted 3, one for each title.  Now, I will probably only get 1.  Onager was always going to be just a x 1 buy.  Now that I've got an SSD, I don't feel a strong desire to buy more ships, it just so happens these are both pleasing to me.  If the new movies start having good space battles again I would be far more tempted to buy new models from the Disney Canon.  As it is, it will come down to the ascetics if I buy one or none of future expansions.

Posted (edited)

The new pricing has definitely turned me off from buying any more ships from the SSD on. I just got the Chimaera, Profundity and a couple duplicates from previous waves and I think I'm done. I couldn't justify paying the SSD price and these new "fan fiction" ships at 50+ Euro a pop are a red line for me. I've got everything I'll ever need to recreate the Episode IV-VI experience and if I can just as well print out the cards from the new expansions since I only play casually with one friend anyway .

Edited by Hamanu1

Yes, I've just seen them! 

$60 for the Imperial ship is one thing, but why the frack is the rebel one $80... for what I assume is similar sized ships and similar amounts of cards included.

Such a big price difference is not cool, personally seems like FFG milking rebel players who didn't fork out for a SSD!

6 minutes ago, EbonHawk said:

Yes, I've just seen them! 

$60 for the Imperial ship is one thing, but why the frack is the rebel one $80... for what I assume is similar sized ships and similar amounts of cards included.

Such a big price difference is not cool, personally seems like FFG milking rebel players who didn't fork out for a SSD!

The model is huge. 

2 hours ago, flatpackhamster said:

Do what the rest of us do and sell a child or a kidney.

Or a child's kidney.

Seriously though $140 every 6 months to a year on your hobby is hardly a huge expenditure.

That's $3-$6 bucks set aside each week, and it's not like FFG isn't giving us PLENTY of lead up time on product releases! ;)

10 hours ago, GrimmSqueeker said:

Well, I'm just flat priced out of Armada.  It was fun, but all things end.  I just cannot pay that kind of money for minis.

As am I unfortunately though I plan on sticking around for a couple more waves picking up bits and pieces here and there for my fleets. More pressing matters require my money throwing at them before I can fund my plastic space ship addiction.

I understand prices can be tough for some.  I don't have a lot of spending money either, I mean I just had twins so I'm out of money for about 18 years now... Haha.  But armada is a two expansion a year hobby at this point.  So spending 25 a month on legion for example... $300 a year... $25 every other month... $150 a year.  Armada, star hawk is huge. And Onager is a bit bigger than an ISD.  nothing last year.  I'm cool with a couple ships that I will buy one each of to start. If they seem like multiples is worth it I will probably get another after I see how they play.  I got 3 arquitens... That's $60 right there.

Long story short, if the expansions offer a ship and goodies that are worth it I have no problem with the price.  I got my SSD and it was totally worth the price.  Just for a model that size you will pay more from any other source.  This one can be used in a game and not just sit on a shelf!?!?!? Even better.  Again I get budgets.  I had my family give me money for Christmas to get the SSD.  I got about $100.  

If you really have no interest in ships at that price, don't worry. FFG will release smaller stuff again. These just happen to be the next wave.  Maybe we get Imp support ship and the Braha'tok-class gunship next for GCW era.  

15 hours ago, cynanbloodbane said:

Or a child's kidney.

Seriously though $140 every 6 months to a year on your hobby is hardly a huge expenditure.

That's $3-$6 bucks set aside each week, and it's not like FFG isn't giving us PLENTY of lead up time on product releases! ;)

As well as looking at the cost over time, you can also looks at it from the point of view of time spent on the hobby.

We had a comment recently from one of the wives that £80 was a "stupid" amount of money for a board game.  ok, but the game takes an average of 4 hours for 4 players per play. And we've played the game at least 10 times so far.  So we've kept 4 adults entertained for 40+ hours for £80 (so 50p per adult per hour).

How many hobbies / activities can you list that cost less than 50p per person per hour (or £2.00 per person for 4 hours of an evening)?  Cinema - £12+ per person... Pub - well beers are £4/each, so £16 for 4 people if you only have one beer each (hah!)... Most sports (for you) will have fees for using the court / field / track whatever... most sporting events cost £££'s to go and watch... seriously, what can you do for £2.00 these days?  

And hey, when we get bored of it, it'll go on ebay and someone will buy for probably £60... So now it only cost us £20 to entertain 4 adults for 40+ hours.

Of course with miniature games they keep releasing new stuff that you need to buy (good for them as it's a constant stream of cash, good for us as it stops the games getting stale and increases the usage we get out of the rest of the  fleet/army).  But even then, when you compare the cost for the amount of time you are entertained for it's still cheaper than a lot of other activities... 

And if you explain it to the other half correctly, many of them will see it's cheaper and more palatable than some of the alternatives.  Would they prefer you were "playing spaceships" on the dining room table with your mates (where they can keep an eye on you) - or out drinking with the same mates down the pub (where you could be chatting up someone younger and hotter...)?  

It's all about perspective... 😁

2 hours ago, JohnnyUK said:

As well as looking at the cost over time, you can also looks at it from the point of view of time spent on the hobby.

We had a comment recently from one of the wives that £80 was a "stupid" amount of money for a board game.  ok, but the game takes an average of 4 hours for 4 players per play. And we've played the game at least 10 times so far.  So we've kept 4 adults entertained for 40+ hours for £80 (so 50p per adult per hour).

How many hobbies / activities can you list that cost less than 50p per person per hour (or £2.00 per person for 4 hours of an evening)?  Cinema - £12+ per person... Pub - well beers are £4/each, so £16 for 4 people if you only have one beer each (hah!)... Most sports (for you) will have fees for using the court / field / track whatever... most sporting events cost £££'s to go and watch... seriously, what can you do for £2.00 these days?  

And hey, when we get bored of it, it'll go on ebay and someone will buy for probably £60... So now it only cost us £20 to entertain 4 adults for 40+ hours.

Of course with miniature games they keep releasing new stuff that you need to buy (good for them as it's a constant stream of cash, good for us as it stops the games getting stale and increases the usage we get out of the rest of the  fleet/army).  But even then, when you compare the cost for the amount of time you are entertained for it's still cheaper than a lot of other activities... 

And if you explain it to the other half correctly, many of them will see it's cheaper and more palatable than some of the alternatives.  Would they prefer you were "playing spaceships" on the dining room table with your mates (where they can keep an eye on you) - or out drinking with the same mates down the pub (where you could be chatting up someone younger and hotter...)?  

It's all about perspective... 😁

My wife is hot.....just saying

On 8/18/2019 at 10:25 AM, player3691565 said:

Recommended retail price is not the price you pay, just got my SSD for £116 posted, not sure what that is in dollars.

That’s good. How did you do that?

27 minutes ago, ISD Avenger said:

That’s good. How did you do that?

Yes, that is somewhat impressive given that most retailers are out of stock, and those that do have stock have put their price up because they know no-one else has stock, and those that don't have stock have put their price up to avoid getting lumbered with too many backorders on an item that may be out of stock for some time.  Also, even when they were in stock they were still around the £127-£140 mark .  At £116 including delivery that's barely above cost price - So would love to know where you got that!

It had a damaged box...........could not believe it when I saw it....

2 minutes ago, JohnnyUK said:

Yes, that is somewhat impressive given that most retailers are out of stock, and those that do have stock have put their price up because they know no-one else has stock, and those that don't have stock have put their price up to avoid getting lumbered with too many backorders on an item that may be out of stock for some time.  Also, even when they were in stock they were still around the £127-£140 mark .  At £116 including delivery that's barely above cost price - So would love to know where you got that!

5 minutes ago, player3691565 said:

It had a damaged box...........could not believe it when I saw it....

ah, so a one off then. no good for the rest of us. 🙁

But you're original point is still valid.  There are plenty of online retailers that sell well below the retail price.  

Nope still seems like an ok price. For reference I would like to point out the mini destroyer of wallets.:

Warhammer 40,0000 just soul crushingly expensive. 80 bucks for a unit isn't horrid, just steep compared to the rest of the range. Also it could be so pricy due to the impending specter of tariffs. If they happen the starhawks price may not move, but the rest of the range my get more expensive. That's just speculation in my part.