mazz0

Isn't anyone else gobsmacked at the price of the new large ships?

1 hour ago, SQUIDwarrior said:

One of the reasons I enjoy Armada over X-Wing is the slower pace of expansions. X-Wing is cheaper, sure, but there is just so MUCH X-Wing that it feels overwhelming. Its also why I struggled with games like Netrunner (which I still adore). I just couldn't keep up with the pace of expansions. 

I disagree that X-wing is cheaper.  X-wing more often encourages multiples and there is so much of it that completionist's, even for a single faction will be buying far more expansions.  Yes each expansion costs more but Amortized over a year I think Armada is far cheaper then X-Wing.

25 minutes ago, Thrindal said:

I disagree that X-wing is cheaper.  X-wing more often encourages multiples and there is so much of it that completionist's, even for a single faction will be buying far more expansions.  Yes each expansion costs more but Amortized over a year I think Armada is far cheaper then X-Wing.

Sorry I mean't X-Wing is cheaper to get into ($40 vs $100 for core set) and per expansion on average, but there are like 10x as many expansions and they keep coming out with more. And as you said, you tend to buy more of a single ship than in Armada.

The Starhawk at 80 hurts but from what I have seen the model is massive. The details and what it brings might be worth it. 

The Star Destroyer seems worse to me, the model looks like the size of an Interdictor but 20 bucks more expensive.

Interesting bit is that both expansions are said to have 15 upgrade cards but only 9 are shown for the Starhawk and the Onager. So there are some mystery cards we have yet to seen, might be old cards or new ones.

On 8/1/2019 at 12:55 PM, Drasnighta said:

Essentially.  I mean, Armada Italy had some more direct comparison shots.  The Starhawk has almost 2x the Material of an ISD.  Easily 4x the Size of the MonCal...  

Would you be able to provide a link to Armada Italy or the photos. I have searched quite a bit and can't find them/it anywhere. Thanks. 

One of my big frustrations with the New Canon is that they finally had an opportunity to clean up all the discrepancies that arose from three decades of material but they only keep creating new discrepancies and inaccuracies. 

Home One, now MC80a, was always supposed to be the largest and most advanced MC80 but it now has a smaller armament than the standard MC80. Furthermore, two official sources list different lengths, one as 1200m and another 1300m, while MC80s range from 1200-1500m. They haven't even been using the most recent old canon but rather random old canon. 

Then there is the absurdity of the armaments on the new trilogy ships which range from absurdly high to absurdly low. The Resurgent-class originally had 5000 turbolasers alone before having its entire armament reduce to the still ridiculous 1500. Meanwhile the MC85 has literally no weapons. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Because it's not about fighting what you hate... It's about saving what you love.  Or something.

There's only so many places to run and hide in the galaxy and while your doing that, people that others love are suffering. 

Edited by Mon Cala Blue

5 hours ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

The Starhawk at 80 hurts but from what I have seen the model is massive. The details and what it brings might be worth it. 

The Star Destroyer seems worse to me, the model looks like the size of an Interdictor but 20 bucks more expensive.

Interesting bit is that both expansions are said to have 15 upgrade cards but only 9 are shown for the Starhawk and the Onager. So there are some mystery cards we have yet to seen, might be old cards or new ones.

Definitely going to be duplicates. The SSD came with a bunch of upgrade cards that had previously only been available in Rebel faction ships - Boarding Engineers, for example. I think the Star Hawk will come upgrade cards that have previously only been found in Imperial expansions, Flight Controllers, Boarding Troopers, etc. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

The SSD rightfully carries its hype. These? Not so certain. 

Theyre very expensive and looking like will be only a buy one for many at that price point. 

Also so kudos to the team for making cool products but FYI I’m pretty sure the plastic comes out to a few cents literally. Even with the moulding. The paint job even with some mass assembly techniques is what is suspect is costly in labor costs. 

Imperial:

3 shades of grey

Rebel:

3 shades of grey/white + some coloured streaks 

How hard can it be :D

(I speak as a non-painter...)

Edit: and engine colour

Edited by Muelmuel

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

The SSD rightfully carries its hype. These? Not so certain. 

The pricing doesn't really bother me too much but this is how I feel about these two new ships.  The SSD was something many Armada players always wanted to see but never thought would happen - so when it was announced, it was probably an immediate pre-order for a lot of us.  Come on, everyone knows the Executor from Empire Strikes Back!  But these two ships?  Yeah, they look cool but they aren't immediate buys for me at those prices.  Again, I don't mind paying more for something exciting (e.g. SSD).  

With that said, costs are going to go up.  I recently got back into 40K - mainly collecting cool models for painting at the moment - and let me tell ya...Armada still seems WAY cheaper, especially if you're into multiple factions like I am. :)

Edited by Digitalfiends

On 8/2/2019 at 3:19 PM, Mad Cat said:

I had a little search around the UK online stores that do Armada

Darksphere, Chaos Cards, Magic Madhouse, Darkstar so far have them, but the cheapest preorder I have found is 

The Outpost, Sheffield.

https://www.the-outpost.co.uk/product/star-wars-armada-nadiri-starhawk/   £54.95

https://www.the-outpost.co.uk/product/star-wars-armada-onager-class-star-destroyer/    £43.95

There is upcoming economic uncertanty, what with Trump's trade war(s), Borris about to crash us out of the EU and the Pound weak & ready to plummet.

So I nailed my wallet to the mast and preordered one of each for £98.90 with free UK shipping as the order total is over £75.      

Disclaimer prices can change, yada yada yada...

Unless you really think there will be a big currency issue before launch, buying this far in advance isn't necessarily the best idea.  When the products are first announced retailers tend to stick near the RRP (in case there is a big shift in the price, and because they don't necessarily want a ton of pre-orders clogging up their system for the next 3-6 months), but as the release dates draw closer the retailers will start slashing their pre-release prices.

So barring any currency disasters it's maybe best to wait for the retailers to start competing on price, rather than pick a single retailer that has "better" prices right now.  If the announced cost price doesn't change then the above prices will look pretty normal, and certainly won't be the cheapest when the launch date gets closer.

I wish they would introduce some old favorites like the vindicator class, dreadnought class, Assault frigate mk-I, liberator-class, etc.. plenty of nice established ships to choose from. It's not that I don't like the Starhawk model, because I think it really does look fine. Its just that I don't associate it with Starwars. It could just as well be a Battlefleet Gothic or Battlestar Galactica ship to me.

As for the pricing, it is a bit steep.

8 hours ago, Lord Tareq said:

I wish they would introduce some old favorites like the vindicator class, dreadnought class, Assault frigate mk-I, liberator-class, etc.. plenty of nice established ships to choose from. It's not that I don't like the Starhawk model, because I think it really does look fine. Its just that I don't associate it with Starwars. It could just as well be a Battlefleet Gothic or Battlestar Galactica ship to me.

As for the pricing, it is a bit steep.

Unfortunately, it seems like the days of using the old EU stuff appears to be effectively dead. Which is a huge shame as there are some decent designs there, which must be more recognisable than the Onager (Ergh, still don’t like that name) for starters.

I'm terrible with money, I have spent money poorly and with bad decisions for years.  Recently I am trying to grow up and not be dumb with money, it's a constant battle.  

That said, we have what, four or five months of waiting?   75/4 = $19 or 75/5 = $15 I can set that aside each month.   Yes i'm older and am established career wise and make good money but even when I was in my early 20s making a ton less i could have managed the $15 then too.   It makes it easier if you look at it that way.   now granted I want two of those, and two of the onagers so it'll be more for me, but still.  you can uh, save money and be responsible (stop laughing)

Posted (edited)

People can complain or justify or rationalize the cost of the StarHawk all they want.  But as the first new Rebel ship in two years, and the people who are going to buy it are going to buy it pretty much regardless of what it costs.  This thing could have cost $100 and I doubt it would sell many less copies.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

55 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

People can complain or justify or rationalize the cost of the StarHawk all they want.  But as the first new Rebel ship in two years, and the people who are going to buy it are going to buy it pretty much regardless of what it costs.  This thing could have cost $100 and I doubt it would sell many less copies.

You had all that time to save money!

On 8/1/2019 at 4:36 PM, mazz0 said:

The SSD is several times bigger but only twice the price.

I know I’m late to the party, but a few things.  

First: double $75 is $150, the SSD is $200.  You can’t compare sale prices on the SSD to the MSRP of the Starhawk.  The Starhawk will certainly by $60 on a ton of sites or with discounts at your LGS.

Second: this is a BIG ship.  It was going to be more expensive than an ISD.  Also, price increases were always going to happen at some point.

Third: are FFG products really priced 1:1 US dollars to pounds?  On the one hand, that sucks.  On the other, it’s sweet payback for GW’s pricing nonsense.  Eat it, British nerds!

Also I forgot to answer the initial question.  As a quasi-current 40k player who has an Imperial Knight army, $157 to $170 MSRP is what I’m used to, and while it’s hard to find a direct parallel in the $75 space (and I don’t feel like trolling the GW site to find on), a squad of 10 space marines is $60.  Personally, the Starhawk compares favorably to that.

So to answer your question (assuming “gobsmacked” means shocked), no.  No I am not.