prauxim

New B-wing config 'Stabilized S-Foils'

15 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

More thematic would be a reduction on primary firepower and disabling of the cannons while they are closed for a decrease in difficulty of its straight and bank maneuvers. Open would be the normal statline and capabilities of the B-Wing. Switching between open and closed is likely to be the same timing as the other S-Foil configs.

Out of curiousity, what makes that seem more thematic? The RotJ scene where they open at the same time as the x-wings?

5 minutes ago, prauxim said:

Out of curiousity, what makes that seem more thematic? The RotJ scene where they open at the same time as the x-wings?

Even in the video games they never shot with them closed from what I recall.

31 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

When closed: you cannot attack outside your bullseye arc.  +1 agility, boost linked to focus.

When open: no effect.

To keep it the same as the current actions it would be focus into a linked boost but, ****, that would be a really good configuration. 

17 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

If you're talking about the PC X-wing vs Tie Fighter games, I think you're correct. If you accidentally closed your s-foils, suddenly you couldn't shoot (for the b-wing and the x-wing).

21 minutes ago, Pa Weasley said:

To keep it the same as the current actions it would be focus into a linked boost but, ****, that would be a really good configuration. 

Yeah, I forgot which way round the B Wing is, and it should be focus first to avoid the combo with Afterburners after a move through a rock or debris.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

Seems weird if affects primary since  the main laser is mounted on the fuselage at the other end of the ship.

But mainly I meant the speed, is there there anything to support it?

Overall, the stated purpose of strike foils (on the B, and in general) is weapons articulation. For B, the only functionality mention I can find is:

Located just below the engine cluster are a pair of S-foils which can deploy to extend the firing arc of twin laser cannons. - SW Databank

I can see T-65/70 getting some repo due to the thrust engines actually being mounted to the foils, but can't see any lore-supported reason why the B would get faster. Its totally plausible the the only reason they ever go down is to lower the ships profile for storage/approach formation/hyperspace jumps

As for as overall ship role/theme, all lore points to b being slower, harder hitting cannon platform compared to the T65.

Rebel engineers designed the B-wing with a single purpose – to destroy Imperial capital ships. To achieve that goal, they packed weaponry and flight systems normally reserved for much larger craft into the body of a starfighter. B-wings weren’t much good in dogfights – their pilots complained that they maneuvered like freighters – and were a struggle to maintain. - SW Databank

Something like +1 die, while it actually would go with the lore quite well, would be overkill, but something just good enough to make you say "yeah it makes sense to run cannons now" would be perfect. 

I think a lot of the people wanting dial improvement mainly want Ten/Brays ability on a ship that can fly better in formation with X-wings in beef. That's absolutely the wrong direction for the ship IMO, Bs are tech / heavy assault platforms, not dogfighters. E-wings serve the tech / dogfighter role (they need a rework as well, but thats a different story)

Edited by prauxim

Posted (edited)

Closed: Decrease the difficulty of you speed 3-4 basic maneuvers.

Before you activate, you may flip this card.

Open: Before you engage, you may receive a deplete token. After you perform a depleted primary weapon attack, you may perform a bonus attack using an equipped Cannon secondary weapon.

closed lets you go faster to keep pace with x-wings and such, and open lets you double tap with cannons, but only while decreasing your primary. (this assumes that deplete works by reducing any attack by 1 die and goes away after you perform an attack / blue maneuver). nothing fancy, no extra actions and such, just pushes the ship to be more adaptable and better at shooting cannons.

Edited by ImperialAce95

23 hours ago, ImperialAce95 said:

Open: Before you engage, you may receive a deplete token. After you perform a depleted primary weapon attack, you may perform a bonus attack using an equipped Cannon secondary weapon.

closed lets you go faster to keep pace with x-wings and such, and open lets you double tap with cannons, but only while decreasing your primary. (this assumes that deplete works by reducing any attack by 1 die and goes away after you perform an attack / blue maneuver). nothing fancy, no extra actions and such, just pushes the ship to be more adaptable and better at shooting cannons.

I was about to type something like this before looking up and seeing you beat me to it. :P

On 8/2/2019 at 7:37 AM, thespaceinvader said:

When closed: you cannot attack outside your bullseye arc.  +1 agility, boost linked to focus.

When open: no effect.

Likey likey

On 8/2/2019 at 5:27 PM, ImperialAce95 said:

I like this a lot. Double tap would really help.