First of all, SUPER HYPED that FFG is finally giving us a Marvel game. Been a long time coming in my opinion...however, is it just me or does this game seem absurdly similar to LOTR LCG? I mean, there are a quite a few differences but it seems really similar. I love playing LOTR LCG but cant FFG get a little bit more creative seeing as LOTR LCG is now ending and it looks like they're just trying to replace it with this other game? IDK that's just my opinion but still looks super amazing! Also can't wait to see what other Marvel games they'll inevitably release

Looks to me like a hybrid of LotR and Arkham Horror. Deckbuilding is more like AH, with the auto-included hero cards and the obligations/nemesis being a lot like weaknesses. On the hero side of things, I think this differentiates greatly in its resource generation and in the alter-ego/hero decision. But, the core of attack/quest/defend is very much the same at LotR.

From the AI villain deck perspective, there's only so much you can do with the 'flip a card per player' mechanic that drives all the co-op LCGs. Side-schemes seem just like locations from LotR. The attack or scheme every turn is a nice, new unique way for a the primary villain to interact. But, you do see the same re-skinned concepts that are in both LotR and AH. And, more like LotR there doesn't appear to be any character placement aspect, making reacting to the encounter deck less strategic than AH.

The thing I don't see, which I really hope to is the character advancement of AH. When I play LotR now, I find it really lacks that connectivity of my team advancing from one quest to the other. AH does such an awesome job with that. I imagine the campaign boxes will try to give us that, but I really wish it were more of a core mechanic. 

Still, their track record for Co-Op LCGs is fantastic, so I'll be all-in on this one from the start. And, I hope them having the rights to do Marvel card games means we can get a competitive CCG again (please bring back the original Vs System!!).

I see similarities but nothing so bad that it would make me feel like I am playing the same game. Definitely going to give this game a chance and pre-ordered the base set.

Have to admit I'm surprised there are no X-Men in the core set. Hope we see some of those characters in early monthly sets.

31 minutes ago, TechnoGolem said:

Have to admit I'm surprised there are no X-Men in the core set. Hope we see some of those characters in early monthly sets.

I believe that we will get more boxed sets around the (nowadays) well known teams and their most characteristic enemies: X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy and Fantastic Four seem like a safe bet.

I'm super excited about this. I have a sizeable about of LotR LCG and considering I prefer the marvel theme I might actually be willing to part with my LotR collection once some content gets out for this.

The deck building seems to be actually more from Lotr joyrney in the middle earth board game. You have your hero cards the you can just add what ever role deck you want to have.

i would Also like to see campaign rules in this game, but this seems to be more like one shot, short game. People don’t have to be present in the Gaming sessions. Just some quick fight and it is over and you move to the next game or another scheme. That work Also, but yeah I personally like campaign games!

marwel is not my thing and not sure if I will go for this, but if the game is as quick and easy as it seems to be. Core set and some extra villain aka scenarios is not bad idea...

interesting to see if this is easier to play so that you only pick those heroes and those willains you like and not get your *** kicked because you don`t have all the player cards and you heroes Are underpowered vs the willains in yhe long run. And  there have to be powercreep eventually or the games becomes too easy to those who have the all cards. 

Is there any balancing factor in that respest? Do you habåve to just by x packs from the Beginning to have the balance righ without jumping from one expansion to another, that is interesting thing to see!

4 hours ago, Daverman said:

**Obligatory "How many Core Sets will you want/need?" post* *

It says in the press release that you'll only need to buy one core set. 

Is there actual proper deck building in this? In the demo I watched, the guy explained that you pick your hero deck and then a "focus deck" (forgot the correct term) and splash in a few basic cards to round of your deck. And it sounded like the first two consisted of preselected cards. Is that really it or do you actually get to customize all the decks? I hope this was just super simplified for demo purposes and that the actual game is much deeper.

1 hour ago, AstroChicken said:

Is there actual proper deck building in this? In the demo I watched, the guy explained that you pick your hero deck and then a "focus deck" (forgot the correct term) and splash in a few basic cards to round of your deck. And it sounded like the first two consisted of preselected cards. Is that really it or do you actually get to customize all the decks? I hope this was just super simplified for demo purposes and that the actual game is much deeper.

There's going to be choices to make if you want to cut your deck down to the minimum 40 cards, but other than that the biggest choice you're going to have in the core set environment is which aspect you want to pair with your chosen hero. That will no doubt change with the release of additional hero decks that will add additional aspect and basic cards to the card pool.

5 hours ago, AstroChicken said:

There will be 15 cards in the deck that will be locked for that hero but we have basic cards and the 4 types of agendas (think that's what they called them.) Seems likely that the later two types of cards will be expanded upon with future sets and allow us more customization with the decks.

There’s 15 hero specific cards, a choice of 4 aspects, and then ‘neutral’ cards.  Sounds like the core alone doesn’t leave a lot of room for customization but once you start adding hero packs, there’s plenty of room for deck building 

I cannot wait for this!  My brother had the Marvel: Legendary game and it was okay at best.  You could choose the heroes you wanted to play, but they were all shuffled into a common deck.  You would reveal four cards at a time to form a common pool and players would pay resources to remove a card and place it into their hand.  This meant that if the one card you needed came up, there was a good chance that another player would buy it before you could.  With this game, that won't be a problem (hopefully).

27 minutes ago, Paladin Ignatius said:

I cannot wait for this!  My brother had the Marvel: Legendary game and it was okay at best.  You could choose the heroes you wanted to play, but they were all shuffled into a common deck.  You would reveal four cards at a time to form a common pool and players would pay resources to remove a card and place it into their hand.  This meant that if the one card you needed came up, there was a good chance that another player would buy it before you could.  With this game, that won't be a problem (hopefully).

You could always negotiate with the other players, since it's a coop (at least in theory - determining a winner if the villain is defeated is a big strike against actual cooperation). But that problem cannot happen in a LCG, because you build your deck before the game even starts. Sure, you can argue about who gets to play which hero (it's pretty much a given that they must all be different) or who gets to play cards that would be useful to different heroes (this can be mitigated by each player having their own collection, but there could be equivalents to AH's unique assets), but that's it: you don't add cards to your deck during the game.

21 hours ago, bllaw said:

I love playing LOTR LCG but cant FFG get a little bit more creative seeing as LOTR LCG is now ending and it looks like they're just trying to replace it with this other game? IDK that's just my opinion but still looks super amazing! Also can't wait to see what other Marvel games they'll inevitably release

Geez, I read this and thought:

15 hours ago, xchan said:

Wait, what? Did I miss some announcement?

But then:

10 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

No, just speculation.

So that was a relief.  Don't scare me like that, I've just started collecting LOTR for crying out loud!

3 minutes ago, Khudzlin said:

You could always negotiate with the other players, since it's a coop (at least in theory - determining a winner if the villain is defeated is a big strike against actual cooperation). But that problem cannot happen in a LCG, because you build your deck before the game even starts. Sure, you can argue about who gets to play which hero (it's pretty much a given that they must all be different) or who gets to play cards that would be useful to different heroes (this can be mitigated by each player having their own collection, but there could be equivalents to AH's unique assets), but that's it: you don't add cards to your deck during the game.

And I am extremely thankful for that.

5 hours ago, Khudzlin said:

Sure, you can argue about who gets to play which hero (it's pretty much a given that they must all be different)

Well, up until we start throwing in time travel, parallel realities, clone sagas...