dsul413

Hotshots and Aces Pilots

Pilot pack 2: "Veterans and Mercenaries"

Contains exclusively multi-dot limited pilots, ala CIS Vultures/Hyenas, for each faction. Triple limited Interceptors that do something cool, or double limited Kihraxz that finally get that red boost action on the bar... 

That would be super cool. In the sea of voices I'm probably drowned out by all the people who just want i5-6 aces with 1.0 abilities, but that's the design space I'd most want explored.

Just now, JJ48 said:

It's listed in the contents.  Is someone claiming it doesn't exist?

Seems to be the tone I'm picking up from some of the other posters, a "this is too good to be true" thing. I could be wrong about that though.

Just now, Hiemfire said:

Seems to be the tone I'm picking up from some of the other posters, a "this is too good to be true" thing. I could be wrong about that though.

No, I think the people who were questioning if it went on the B-Wing only saw the name and not the quick builds,and were speculating.  Those who had seen the quick builds then took it and ran with it as a joke.

At least, that's how I read the situation.

8 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

No, I think the people who were questioning if it went on the B-Wing only saw the name and not the quick builds,and were speculating.  Those who had seen the quick builds then took it and ran with it as a joke.

At least, that's how I read the situation.

Not only do I need it to be a Bwing config but I need it to be a super cool thematic || aid that makes b-wings unique weapons carriers they are supposed to be

I need it like grievous needed lightsabers, like Plageuis needed to keep his loved ones from dying, like the force needs balance

7 minutes ago, prauxim said:

Like Grievous, I care not for the TLT meta. I need to see the fear in my enemies that can only be induced by impending quad-rainbow-saber-copter of doom. 

Funny, I've seen school kids try a windmill attack on the playground, and it never seemed to work for them.

Posted (edited)

This is pretty disappointing for me. Uninspired. A pilot upgrade pack that has 16 pilots across 5 factions. Rebels getting Leia is cool, but the only pilot that remotely interests me is Rush. I play Scum, FO and Empire. I am sure these new pilots will get the JM5K and the M3A in the table a lot more. 

It’s great that FFG are doing these packs, but please FFG, make them have something that everyone wants in them. 

There are 47 upgrades and 16 pilots in this pack, I believe that this expansion has been falsely named...

Edited by Archangelspiv
To sook a little harder.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, prauxim said:

Not only do I need it to be a Bwing config but I need it to be a super cool thematic || aid that makes b-wings unique weapons carriers they are supposed to be

I would modify this: I don't particularly care if it helps bullseye; I really just want it to help cannons in general.

Honestly, Tractor and Autoblasters are proof that cannons can be good at the right price (I think Ion and HLC are a tad overpriced), but currently there's little reason to take them. It would make me sad if this only made HLC better on the B-Wing, at the expense of the more iconic Ion Cannon (the B-Wing has a primary weapon of three ion cannons in the new cannon, plus autoblasters and a HLC).

I'm really very excited about the pack in general, but I'm disappointed that they didn't separate the reprinted upgrades from the new content. No one really wins in this situation because OT players that have been missing out on upgrades have to buy all three to keep up, while thematic players who just want fun stuff get a bunch of upgrades they don't need. And cramming the "Pilot" box full of existing upgrades leaves very few pilots in it.

I guess I have a nasty habit of getting my hopes up too much. Still, no new pilots for the A-Wing or for the TIE Interceptor is baffling. Those will be re-released before these card packs are out anyway, so what could it hurt? 4 per faction is really not much.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

1 hour ago, JJ48 said:

Quick builds don't always use the same rules as points builds.

Quick builds ignore the slots on a ship (which can and sometimes do get changed), but they've never ignored the "Requires" portion of a card.

It's not like any quick build ever put Servomotor S-Foils on a U-Wing, for instance.

I suspect at least some of the quick builds were the result of slots being changed after it was too late to change printing, for example (Autothrusters being included in the Fang Fighter expansion comes to mind for this one).

8 minutes ago, Freeptop said:

Quick builds ignore the slots on a ship (which can and sometimes do get changed), but they've never ignored the "Requires" portion of a card.

You sure 'bout that, mate? I agree in general, but I feel like I've seen contradictions.

11 minutes ago, Freeptop said:

It's not like any quick build ever put Servomotor S-Foils on a U-Wing, for instance.

I mean, they did put an Ion Cannon Turret on a U-Wing, and they put Proton Torpedoes on Howlrunner.

But things that were definitely made as part of a ship's identity haven't been cross-contaminated. Yet.

Posted (edited)

Edit: Nevermind, she can just drop 2 at a time.

Paige Tico better drop her remaining bombs when she is destroyed (up to 2?)

Edited by Mrk1984

Honestly, I'm disappointed. 

It maybe would have seemed like an absolute cash grab for FFG to hold pilots out of the A-Wing, Interceptor and Defender packs just to include them in another expansion releasing a month or two later, but such a limited selection of new pilots in the new pilots pack seems like such a waste. 

Gina Moonsong and B-Wing s-foils are awesome additions. I really dig those. But boy, do I not care about anything else in that pack. Except for the upgrades, I guess. I was fully expecting those to be in the devices pack (I'm apparently an idiot and was assuming FFG weren't using Devices to literally mean the device slot). 

Maybe this is a good thing? How I only need to buy one of these packs? 

But even realising FFG are doing the sensible thing and only adding content to already released 2e models, the lack of Davish Krail, Laren Joma, B-Wing Hera, Wes Janson, General Merrick or Mart Mattin over ****ing Kallus in the Ghost is astonishing. 

Guess I'll just have to keep waiting for the second wave of these packs this time next year to get Ciena Ree in the Interceptor, Vult Skerris in the Defender and Shara Bey or Tycho in the A-Wing..... 

16 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I would modify this: I don't particularly care if it helps bullseye; I really just want it to help cannons in general.

I don't think it specifically needs to be || related, but not sure what else it would be

+1 die (or +1 eyeball) would be overkill, reroll would clash with Bray, eyeball mod with Ten,  doesn't seem like "stabilized s-foils" would give double tap or cost discounts

Would be neat if let us check to the left/right of the dimples for ||. Assuming balanced in whatever form, would allow less drawback/cost than something like "you may treat || as V"

1 hour ago, svelok said:

Pilot pack 2: "Veterans and Mercenaries"

Contains exclusively multi-dot limited pilots, ala CIS Vultures/Hyenas, for each faction. Triple limited Interceptors that do something cool, or double limited Kihraxz that finally get that red boost action on the bar... 

That would be super cool. In the sea of voices I'm probably drowned out by all the people who just want i5-6 aces with 1.0 abilities, but that's the design space I'd most want explored.

No I feel you! Also the place to correct some pilot that are too easy to spam otherwise.

Generic tie-phantom with EPT was too good? Let's remove the EPT slot from the sigma, and instead have a 2 limited dot phantom pilot called the Phi Squadron Pilot, with EPT.
The Triple tie defender sounds too good? Let's have another 2 limited dot PS1 defender at 64 points instead.

There is SO much that could be in the pack, some disappointment is inevitable.

Introducing 40 odd new pilots would be overkill imo. Too much change, too quickly. So I'm happy with the amount. Disappointed lots of things I'd have liked aren't there. Find it perfectly reasonable that it's only 2.0 ships.

HYPED for 5th Bro v1. I need to see this card! Another I4, 2 force pilot would be great there. Ability would be meh, if the same, but it'll only matter on price. Expecting I3 so I can be moar hyped when it is ofc I4. Please not I5, too expensive with SNR. I shall miss him as gunner.

Scum... Well...

Bossk in the Z actually looks really useful. Cheap with Marksmanship for a pseudo 3 die thrower. But I might well go in on the new Tooth anyway.

Meh on almost everything else, out of factions or not that bothered by the chassis. Maybe the Striker will be good....

Hope to split a couple packs through our group. Too many upgrades.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

The upgrade is only equipable to the Fireball right now (check its spread) so its a meh to me until S&V gets access to the SLAM action.

swz63_coaxium-hyperfuel.png

I like the card, but yeah... Scum need a ship with a SLAM action and an illicit slot now.  

Or better yet, a modification that crams a less-than-reliable SLAM action onto any ship with an illicit slot.  IMO, the riskier the better...

Edited by It’s One Of Ours

2 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

You sure 'bout that, mate? I agree in general, but I feel like I've seen contradictions.

I mean, they did put an Ion Cannon Turret on a U-Wing, and they put Proton Torpedoes on Howlrunner.

But things that were definitely made as part of a ship's identity haven't been cross-contaminated. Yet.

Neither Ion Cannon Turret nor Proton Torpedoes have a "Requires" box on them, though. Those are both cases of ignoring slots. They've never put the configuration for one ship on to another ship on a quick build card.

Given that the other S-Foil ships already have s-foil configurations, and they put this one on at least two B-Wing quick builds, it's really stretching things to doubt that these new s-foils are for B-Wings.

Something I noticed and I'm hoping is just an omission on FFG's part. No tokens are listed as part of the Hotshots and Aces pack yet it has munitions and other charge based upgrades. Most disturbingly is that there are 2 copies of Mag-Pulse Warheads and no mention in the product description of there being any deplete tokens in the pack... I've got spare force and charge tokens floating around so that gap can be worked through, but the only spreads I've seen with deplete tokens are the new Sequel Era ships. :(

swz62_mag-pulse-warheads.png

12 hours ago, Sithborg said:

Not quite. 

swz63_coaxium-hyperfuel.png

As a scum (only) player this makes me so sad... or even mad.

Illicit slot, that used to be the thing that make Scum unique has already contaminated Rebel/Resistance ships.  And now this, an Illicit card I can't even use.  

So when do I get my Tactical Relay for IG-88?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bort said:

As a scum (only) player this makes me so sad... or even mad.

Illicit slot, that used to be the thing that make Scum unique has already contaminated Rebel/Resistance ships.  And now this, an Illicit card I can't even use.  

So when do I get my Tactical Relay for IG-88?

If this illicit ADDED the slam action then we might finally have the scum illicit worthy of putting on every scum ship. Sign me up. Otherwise im not feeling any love for scum in this expansion... jumpmaster pilot... MA intercepter pilot? Maybe Bossk in a z95 will be worth the price of buying this pack for scum only players? I am dubious. 

Good news is they should be easy to pick up off friends who wont want to play scum... sadface.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

People seem to vastly underestimate the impact a pilot ability can have on a ship and the amount of testing they oughta go through before release

I'd rather not have heaps upon heaps of new pilots unleashed upon the meta at once considering how much unhealthy stuff could slip through the cracks