GalacticFist

A New Age of Battle - Starhawk and Onager Preview

Posted (edited)

I just want to point our that there are 6 Upgrade cards are missing from each spread aswell as the shipcards, might it be that these Upgrade cards are for first order and resistance characters, aswell as a pair of additional shipcards?

The title of the article kinda lead my mind to this, but to be fair I am incredibly hyped right now.

Edited by Captain_Nemo

11 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

It can do that?

Maybe move speed 1 from rear base?

Like an SSD.

Only thing I can think of.

Not a perfect solution, but ships 'drift' when they turn already, so the man tool isn't that accurate.

If not, then some special tool or template in the expansion box.

That's why Rake??? seems to do.

5 minutes ago, Captain_Nemo said:

I just want to point our that there are 6 Upgrade cards are missing from each spread aswell as the shipcards, might it be that these Upgrade cards are for first order and resistance characters, aswell as a pair of additional shipcards?

The title of the article kinda lead my mind to this, but to be fair I am incredibly hyped right now.

Maybe extra copies of tactical advisor, navigatio officer, etc. Lol

Just now, ovinomanc3r said:

Maybe extra copies of tactical advisor, navigatio officer, etc. Lol

But I think it’s funny they aren’t on the spread, usually even cards they don’t show are just facedown,

13 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

It can do that?

Maybe move speed 1 from rear base?

Like an SSD.

Only thing I can think of.

Not a perfect solution, but ships 'drift' when they turn already, so the man tool isn't that accurate.

If not, then some special tool or template in the expansion box.

I also thought on moving at speed 1 with the speed-0 yaws and then with the straight rule moving back. But seems a bit elaborated.

2 hours ago, xero989 said:

The excat text is "even if it is also" meaning in addition to. So the card is adding a die if LOS is blocked by a ship or obstical and negatests obstructed from card effects, but only if LOS is blocked by a ship or obsitcal. If you are just obstructed because of a card effect and there are no ships or obsticals in the way you still will lose a die.

That could also be read as "Ship is obstructed by Cracken" = it is obstucted AND also caused by a card effect.  I think you are drawing a conclusion based on lack of evidence here.

3 minutes ago, SoonerTed said:

That could also be read as "Ship is obstructed by Cracken" = it is obstucted AND also caused by a card effect.  I think you are drawing a conclusion based on lack of evidence here.

The intent is so:

Shot 'obstructed' by Ship/Obstacle:  +1 Red Die, No Die Loss

Shot 'obstructed' Cracken/MontyAtSpeed3+ :  Die Loss

Shot 'obstructed' by Ship/Obstacle AND Cracken/MontyAtSpeed3+:  +1 Red Die, No Die Loss

7 minutes ago, SoonerTed said:

How do you know the intent?  Without knowing the designer's intent here, it can be read multiple ways.  The language choice on the card is muddled.

The wording is fairly clear.  It is stating if the Ship is obstructed (source) by a Ship or an Obstacle.

Whereas if an attack is obstructed via Cracken, the source of said obstruction (Cracken) is an Upgrade.  NOT a Ship or an Obstacle.

Which would be defined as the line of sight crossing a Ship or an Obstacle.

Posted (edited)

I think the brackets and timing are also important.

1. While a friendly ship is attacking a ship,
  2. if the attack is obstructed by a ship or obstacle,
  3. the attacker does not remove a die
  4. (even if the attack is also obstructed by a card effect),
  5. and may add 1 red die to the attack pool.

Part one tells us the timing for this effect. When does it happen? While a friendly ship is attacking a ship.

Part two tells us the condition. When can this happen? "...if the attack is obstructed by a ship or obstacle." This condition does not cover EWS, Cracken etc.

Part 3 tells us what the effect is. What happens? The attacker doesn't remove a die.

Part 4 puts a qualifier on that. It is in brackets (so an aside like this, not the main rule). It tells us that we do this even if some second criteria is met. The key word there is "also." And the placement is important. It isn't "also if the attack is obstructed by a card effect", it is "if the attack is also obstructed by a card effect." It is two ways of being obstructed, not two conditions. The "even if" is also important - it means this is an addition to the main rule, not replacing it. So we still need Part 2 to be true.

Part 5 then adds a second effect.

------------------

Even if the card text wasn't clear (which it is), the intention would be really clear. If it was meant to cover all obstruction in all circumstances, it would simply need to read "While a friendly ship is attacking a ship, if the attack is obstructed the attacker does not remove a die and may add 1 red die to the attack pool." Which is much, much simpler (and how things like Jaina's Light are worded).

They've deliberately restricted it to ship or obstacle obstruction in part 2, and explicitly covered the situation where an attack is obstructed by a ship or obstacle and a card effect in part 4. Which means they're not covering when an attack is just obstructed by a card effect.

Edited by Grumbleduke

Question: Does a Salvo token stack with cards like APT or ExRax? You're making an attack so my guess would be yes. Unless the wording is a "salvo attack" which may be defined differently (only 4 dice for example).

YHVCMbG.jpg

-----------

GENERAL ROMODI

While a friendly ship is
attacking a ship, if the
attack is obstructed by
a ship or obstacle, the
attacker does not remove
a die (even if the attack is
also obstructed by a card
effect), and may add 1 red
die to the attack pool.

------------

I don't get the confusion here.  "If the attack is obstructed by a ship or obstacle," do stuff. 

Not obstructed by a ship or obstacle?  Doesn't apply. 

The parenthetical is just a clarification, it doesn't modify the conditions under which the card triggers.  Otherwise it wouldn't be a parenthetical.

4 hours ago, Captain_Nemo said:

But I think it’s funny they aren’t on the spread, usually even cards they don’t show are just facedown,

blockquote widget

as I said before it came with its own FAQ.

we know that question was going to arise. What happens if it is obstructed by several sources? Solved!

5 hours ago, SoonerTed said:

How do you know the intent?  Without knowing the designer's intent here, it can be read multiple ways.  The language choice on the card is muddled.

I mean, ordinarily I’d agree with you on intent. But if the intent wasn’t to be as Dras laid it out, then why not just write “when obstructed” instead of “obstructed by a ship or obstacle”

8 hours ago, Madaghmire said:

It still has a lot of value in simply being a cheap way to fill the commander slot and providing access to tokens ships were balanced around not having. Its ECM effect however, is strictly worse, and you may still want to run ECM’s with it on a larger ship. Or Walex.

1) Walex and Agate are made for each other. Accept it. Embrace it. They are forever. Her ability is wonderful combined with Walex.

2) The fact that she can provide a redundant token makes ECM less necessary, so it can free up the defensive slot for something else, like EWS.

3) Don't underestimate her flexibility. You might be thinking of a brace mainly, but taking an evade situationally is pretty great. Taking a redundant redirect on a Lib combined with Expert Shield Techs and Auxiliary Shields turns that ship into something drastically different.

4) Agate is love. Agate is life.

22 hours ago, xanderf said:

Also, what's the point of the 'beyond long range' fire arc on the Onager.  Like...how the heck do you measure if something is in arc for that or not - the range ruler only goes UP to 'long range'...

Maybe that big central cannon is spring-loaded and fires a little nerf dart.