GalacticFist

A New Age of Battle - Starhawk and Onager Preview

Posted (edited)

It appears the Nadiri Starhawk is command 4 from the contents description.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-armada/products/nadiri-starhawk-expansion-pack/

Commander Beck is going to be interesting. Like a Veteran Captain and an overdraft rolled into one. 

swm33_commander-beck.png

Edited by Mad Cat

New Rebel Commander is weird, too.  Like...what's the point of that?  You get to spend a defense token during the spend defense token step?  Oooookay???

Also, what's the point of the 'beyond long range' fire arc on the Onager.  Like...how the heck do you measure if something is in arc for that or not - the range ruler only goes UP to 'long range'...

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mad Cat said:

It appears the Nadiri Starhawk is command 4 from the contents description.

Guessing that's a typo - image only shows 3 dials?

Edited by xanderf

1 minute ago, xanderf said:

New Rebel Commander is weird, too.  Like...what's the point of that?  You get to spend a defense token during the spend defense token step?  Oooookay???

You also gain an extra defense token.

You can spend a token (discard) even it would have been locked down by accuracy

3 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Also, what's the point of the 'beyond long range' fire arc on the Onager.  Like...how the heck do you measure if something is in arc for that or not - the range ruler only goes UP to 'long range'...

I guess you might need multiple range rulers? I don't know.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Matroskin said:

You can spend a token (discard) even it would have been locked down by accuracy

But you could do that with ECM, anyway, only not have to discard it.

The extra token is certainly  useful, though, especially given it seems to allow that new 'salvo' defense token to appear anywhere in a fleet.

Edited by xanderf

Just now, xanderf said:

The extra token is certainly  useful, though, especially given it seems to allow that new 'salvo' defense token to appear on every ship in a fleet.  (Honestly that feels like the strongest ability and might make her a bit OP - I just don't really get the value of the secondary ability)

I could see her secondary ability being useful on rebel ships that can't take ECM and want to move forward into big firing arcs and have double braces - especially the Liberty, but potentially a Nebulon.  Using a Liberty, if I got a 7-8 damage shot from an ISD 2, with 2 accuracies, I could see discarding a token to brace, especially if I can do it again and hope I can move out of there soon.  Maybe with her and the auxiliary shield teams they will have more durability head on.

3 minutes ago, xanderf said:

The extra token is certainly  useful, though, especially given it seems to allow that new 'salvo' defense token to appear on every ship in a fleet.  (Honestly that feels like the strongest ability and might make her a bit OP - I just don't really get the value of the secondary ability)

Sounds like she would be really good on an MC80 Liberty, then.

9 minutes ago, slasher956 said:

Ouch he is nasty... oh you think I remove 1 die for obstruction... actually I add a RED one instead....

He could be interesting, opens up some interesting blocking tactics.

9 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Guessing that's a typo - image only shows 3 dials.

Article just dropped - last lots of typos.  Unless you think the Empire really did just get a 3-point commander, allowing Executor-Is into tournament lists...

swm33_commander-beck.png

officer slot?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

No nerf here.

Romodi is when obstructed by “ship or obstacle”.

Cracken is an upgrade

It also has that parenthetical addition that states “even if also obstructed by card effect”. So if I target a cracken three speed cr90 behind an asteroid, I get the dice, but if theres no asteroid I dont?

Edited by Madaghmire

2 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

If your attack would be obstructed by ship or obstacle, instead of removing a die, add a red die instead 

I think you need to read the whole text of the card. The last few lines say it does not remove a die even if the attack is also obstructed by a card effect. Sounds like he does counter Cracken.

5 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

No nerf here.

Romodi is when obstructed by “ship or obstacle”.

Cracken is an upgrade

The parenthetical on the card is (even if the attack is also obstructed by card effects)

That's Cracken.

15 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Guessing that's a typo - image only shows 3 dials?

Could be. But the photo can also deceive.

Check out the shield setting and the max shield value of the flank of the Onager. 

Posted (edited)

So the defense token that the rebel commander gives you goes on one of your ships? Not on the commander herself? That makes slightly more sense. Is her second ability basically proof against Intel Officer and Avenger? I don't really think I understand the point otherwise.

Edit: Oooooh, you can't be accuracied, right?

Edited by bleezy