hothorbust

Are you new to the hobby aspect? Are you ready for hard plasticss?

Someone in another thread mentioned hard plastic models should use some sort of plastic glue, and he said until we get the product we have to figure out what type of plastic it is before we choose the right plastic glue. There are 2 plastic types, and different glue for each?

I don't know if anyone from Gen Con will be reading this, and if someone knowledgeable has already figured out which glue to use?

Edited by Thraug

There is a leap that's for sure, Army Painter do a nice set which has great for people who don't have these tools already, it has everything for someone who hasn't done this before in it to get them going. I am sure there are better tools out there but for someone who is getting it to it I personally think its good. Its around £25. 

I was lucky enough that my brother-in-law gave me a box of Age Of Sigmar stuff he didn't want so I have built and painted a few models out of that to get used to how to build miniatures that come like this. I would recommend anyone who hasn't don't this before to do something similar and see if a friend or even your local gaming store has anything going cheap that you can practice with so you don't make any silly mistakes on your Legion minis.  

On 8/1/2019 at 12:04 PM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Sadly, I have practice with sprues from the Robotech RPG tactics kickstarter debacle.  

If I can assemble veritech with an unnecessary amount of fiddly and minuscule pieces I think I can do battledroids easy peasy, lemony squeezy.   Even Droidekas will be a snap.

“I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe...”

been there, did that.  

22 hours ago, Thraug said:

I don't know if anyone from Gen Con will be reading this, and if someone knowledgeable has already figured out which glue to use?

There is polystyrene which uses “plastic glue” you use on model cars and GW minis. Every other kind uses superglue just fine. 

You can also use superglue on polystyrene. 

Too much plastic glue is worse for the minis than too much superglue is: use sparingly.  

If in doubt test glue on two chunks of extra sprue. 

Plastic glue is often easier to use, as it melts the plastic together, and isn't sticky on everything it touches.  I'd love to find out it works on the new Legion figures, as I much prefer it over super glue.  It's one of the few things that I like about Bolt Action minis over Legion ones.

13 hours ago, EVIL INC said:

Will they be going back to re-release older models in it? 

13 hours ago, jcmonson said:

that's the plan

Unfortunately, it looks like Dooku and Rex will not be on sprues and are the same as the original releases. Seems like it was a necessity for the droids and not a priority for everything else (other than vehicles which have been hard plastic the whole time). Seems like a re-release is far far in the future since some of the newest things will still be the same.

18 minutes ago, smickletz said:

Unfortunately, it looks like Dooku and Rex will not be on sprues and are the same as the original releases. Seems like it was a necessity for the droids and not a priority for everything else (other than vehicles which have been hard plastic the whole time). Seems like a re-release is far far in the future since some of the newest things will still be the same.

I think the plan was to eventually go back and re-release everything and try to get it switched over ASAP. I was really hoping it would be everything going forward, but I can live with what so far looks like all units going forward and most heroes.

8 hours ago, Steck638 said:

all units going forward and most heroes.

I’m confused by what you mean here since Obi, Dooku, and Rex are not going to be hard plastic and only Grievous is confirmed to be so far. We don’t know about Operatives Luke and Vader or R2 and Threepio yet. I guess I’m wondering when the “all units going forward” will actually begin.

Really not that big of a deal to me, but I don’t want to purchase Dooku and spend a bunch of time painting him only to have a “higher quality” re-release within the year. I was hoping for a definitive change to prevent confusion on what to expect when a new unit is announced and confusion on possible pricing changes.

8 hours ago, smickletz said:

I’m confused by what you mean here since Obi, Dooku, and Rex are not going to be hard plastic and only Grievous is confirmed to be so far. We don’t know about Operatives Luke and Vader or R2 and Threepio yet. I guess I’m wondering when the “all units going forward” will actually begin.

Really not that big of a deal to me, but I don’t want to purchase Dooku and spend a bunch of time painting him only to have a “higher quality” re-release within the year. I was hoping for a definitive change to prevent confusion on what to expect when a new unit is announced and confusion on possible pricing changes.

By all units I meant units, like b2s and phase 2 clones. I am guessing this is the last wave of announcements with soft plastic heros just because I've got a feeling they were designed about the same time frame and they haven't finished switching over production to the newer plastic, but that's just a guess.

1 hour ago, Steck638 said:

By all units I meant units, like b2s and phase 2 clones. I am guessing this is the last wave of announcements with soft plastic heros just because I've got a feeling they were designed about the same time frame and they haven't finished switching over production to the newer plastic, but that's just a guess.

*fingers crossed*

Lightsabers will benefit greatly from hard plastic. Maybe they won’t look as much like animal balloons!

1 hour ago, smickletz said:

*fingers crossed*

Lightsabers will benefit greatly from hard plastic. Maybe they won’t look as much like animal balloons!

I've got a 2nd Grievous, I was planning on using the extra sabers to upgrade my Luke's and Duku from Herbert's saber.

I asked this in another thread but it seems on topic here (enjoy your podcast, by the way). I don’t own Legion yet, but I’m considering getting into it. Since it sounds like FFG plans to rerelease old sets on sprues in hard plastic, would I be better off waiting to see if that happens? I’m not necessarily in a rush and could wait it out (have other SW games to play) if the increase in quality would be tangible. Also, I’m pretty anal about things like uniformity, and I’m sure a half hard, half soft army would bother me.

1 hour ago, astronautcowboy said:

I asked this in another thread but it seems on topic here (enjoy your podcast, by the way). I don’t own Legion yet, but I’m considering getting into it. Since it sounds like FFG plans to rerelease old sets on sprues in hard plastic, would I be better off waiting to see if that happens? I’m not necessarily in a rush and could wait it out (have other SW games to play) if the increase in quality would be tangible. Also, I’m pretty anal about things like uniformity, and I’m sure a half hard, half soft army would bother me.

I have not played legion yet either but love the mythos and from what I've seen the game could be fun (but likely too much like 40k for my main opponants so I would need to expand out). I'm thinking wait and see. If it is that big a deal...youll likely end up getting it in hard plastic anyway. If your not that worrried about hard plastic forolder models.... that would be a time when the soft sets would start being sold for a lot less to save $.

I thought I was ready. My one completed Destroyer droid last night proves I was not. 

I've been building and modding models for a looooong time. I've never had a game on sprues. This is my first experience. Can't say I enjoy it at the moment. 

Plastic glue is good, if you want your figures to break.

Or if you plan on snapping your figures apart later.

Superglue is good if you intend the opposite. Once plastic is superglued together, you'll need some pliers and a knife to get the pieces apart.

😋

Edited by lologrelol

I'm not concerned at all about the sprues, I prefer having more options for customization and hard plastic is easier to clean up compared to that pvc junk the first starter box was composed of. I figure if i'm able to build necromunda van saar and delaque models without an issue then I won't bat an eye at what Legion is up to.

6 hours ago, lologrelol said:

Plastic glue is good, if you want your figures to break.

Or if you plan on snapping your figures apart later.

Superglue is good if you intend the opposite. Once plastic is superglued together, you'll need some pliers and a knife to get the pieces apart.

😋

With all due respect, I’m not sure you know how plastic glue works.  

The plastic that battledroids and other manufacturers kits are made of means that if you use a dedicated plastic glue, it chemically welds the parts together, making it sturdier than super glue.

thats why I was horrified/fascinated with the fifth legion guys assembling grevious with super glue and zip kick (which increases the brittleness of super glue over time, leading to breakage).  

Agreed.  Plastic glue has always give me far stronger welds than super glue on Bolt Action figures, and was one of the reasons why I disliked the plastic used in the original Legion minis.  As @TauntaunScout said, the biggest problem is if you use too much plastic glue, you'll melt some of the detail off of the figures.