Sign in to follow this  
BiggsIRL

Steel Command - A Most August Moment

Posted (edited)

Peltas aren’t TOO Terrible as people make them out to be. Pretty durable at their price point with ok firepower. I just wish they had a weapon slot each for some more options. Turbolaser on the Assault, Ion Cannon on the Command would be cool.

Edited by TallGiraffe

3 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

Peltas are TOO Terrible as people make them out to be. Pretty durable at their price point with ok firepower. I just wish they had a weapon slot each for some more options. Turbolaser on the Assault, Ion Cannon on the Command would be cool.

ANOTHER TITLE PLEASE! CR90 and VSDs now have 4. Not fair

48 minutes ago, shmitty said:

Full gencon recap is coming, but might wait for my flight home to write up.  

I look forward to your career write-up with great interest...

8 hours ago, Karneck said:

Pelta take the house Cup at gencon.

Dumpster Fire in 1st place, and double pelta in 2nd!

And don't forget a Pelta was in UK Nationals winning list recently too :)

3 hours ago, BiggsIRL said:

Not to scoop Shmitty's glory here, but there's some new ships out too.

http://www.steelstrategy.com/2019/08/commanders-guide-super-star-destroyer.html

(stealth edit:  Tagge is still Hot Garbage, and not in a good, Dumpster Fire sort of way)

i mean, i think Friday proved that NOTHING is as good as Dumpster Fire

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BiggsIRL said:

Not to scoop Shmitty's glory here, but there's some new ships out too.

http://www.steelstrategy.com/2019/08/commanders-guide-super-star-destroyer.html

(stealth edit:  Tagge is still Hot Garbage, and not in a good, Dumpster Fire sort of way)

I’m curious why you rank Thrawn above Piett for the SSD.  It doesn’t need more than a dial for nav, so Piett can trigger it every turn, even changing commands on the fly and ignoring Slicers (if you were silly enough not to bring anything else to deal with them.)  At 10 points less and a prolonged effect for often prolonged engagements, he seems straight up better.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

21 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

I’m curious why you rank Thrawn above Piett for the SSD.  It doesn’t need more than a dial for nav, so Piett can trigger it every turn, even changing commands on the fly and ignoring Slicers (if you were silly enough not to bring anything else to deal with them.)  At 10 points less and a prolonged effect for often prolonged engagements, he seems straight up better.

Piett requires another card for generating the tokens.
Thrawn does not.
And Thrawn gives the SSD the dial and token. Not sure about Piett, but does he give you the token as well? You only resolve the Token like a Dial, but you did not gain or reveal the dial. It might be that the SSD does not generate the token via Piett.

And it either require an officer slot. And these seats are so hot and contested by so many better officers. hard to place a "token generator" on it.
Or you need a Comms net Gozanti.

Additional, if you get the crit, when you loose your commando tokens, you are a bit messd up.

And one more reason, maybe when RIM is out, are Raid Tokens. I assume that you cannot use Piett, when the ship has the Raid token. Unless you discard this raid token. With Thrawn you can still use the dial and just discard the extra token.

But Piett costs less. This is a big bonus.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Tokra said:

Piett requires another card for generating the tokens.
Thrawn does not.
And Thrawn gives the SSD the dial and token. Not sure about Piett, but does he give you the token as well? You only resolve the Token like a Dial, but you did not gain or reveal the dial. It might be that the SSD does not generate the token via Piett.

And it either require an officer slot. And these seats are so hot and contested by so many better officers. hard to place a "token generator" on it.
Or you need a Comms net Gozanti.

Additional, if you get the crit, when you loose your commando tokens, you are a bit messd up.

And one more reason, maybe when RIM is out, are Raid Tokens. I assume that you cannot use Piett, when the ship has the Raid token. Unless you discard this raid token. With Thrawn you can still use the dial and just discard the extra token.

But Piett costs less. This is a big bonus.

Thrawn does not, to my understanding, give the SSD the dial and token, as it is not revealing the command dial.  It is simply “gaining” a dial. Because of this, if you’re bringing Thrawn to avoid needing tokens, raid still raises all the same problems.  I would expect SSD builds without at least one Gozanti to be the exception rather than the rule anyway though, especially when the difference between Thrawn and Piett pays for 40% of it.

I’ll admit life support failure is a disaster (unless you brought Lira or have a repair command or repair crews,) but Thrawn remains a pretty hard sell.  And you may still get more extra commands out of Piett (though with less control if you end up being so unlucky.)

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Thrawn does not, to my understanding, give the SSD the dial and token, as it is not revealing the command dial.  It is simply “gaining” a dial. Because of this, if you’re bringing Thrawn to avoid needing tokens, raid still raises all the same problems.  I would expect SSD builds without at least one Gozanti to be the exception rather than the rule anyway though, especially when the difference between Thrawn and Piett pays for 40% of it.

I’ll admit life support failure is a disaster (unless you brought Lira or have a repair command or repair crews,) but Thrawn remains a pretty hard sell.

Well, he should.
At least from the FAQ you can spend the dial from Thrawn to gain a token. And this happens only when the ship reveal the dial.

FAQ:

Grand Admiral Thrawn
When a friendly ship gains a command dial as part of Grand Admiral Thrawn’s effect, that ship can spend that dial to gain a matching command token.

RFG:

Command Dials
When a ship is activated, its owner reveals that ship’s top command dial and places it next to the ship in the play area. It can be spent immediately to assign the corresponding command token to that ship, or it can be spent at the appropriate time to resolve that command.

If Thrawn does count as reveal, because the ship could convert it to a token, it does as well count for the SSD as reveal, and the SSD will get the dial and token from Thrawn.

At least this is how i thought Thrawn will work. And this was the main reason i found that he is the best admiral for it as well.

Edited by Tokra

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Tokra said:

Well, he should.
At least from the FAQ you can spend the dial from Thrawn to gain a token. And this happens only when the ship reveal the dial.

FAQ:

RFG:

If Thrawn does count as reveal, because the ship get the token, it does as well count for the SSD as reveal, and the SSD will get the dial and token from Thrawn.

Does Thrawn count as a reveal though?  Or is this ruling merely establishing a precedent for “gaining?”

This would change the trade off rather significantly.