Jump to content
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

And Here is the Onager Class Star Destroyer

Recommended Posts

The Onager is a little longer than an ISD.  Just look at the ship compared to its base and go look at your ISD compared to its base.  Also sliding scalewise the Onager probably is a little bit smaller scale making the ship bigger actual size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ISD isn't that much of a specialist. It can be a carrier, kill in long range engagements, kill in close range engagements sure the different flavors are all tuned for different things but they are all fairly well rounded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thought is that green arc will be a shot that can’t be defended against and will roll all the dice shown at all ranges. The article did mention something about being able to fire from beyond long range. Question is will the shot be a one and done or an exhaustible card that gets reused?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 1:33 AM, TooTall13 said:

My thought is that green arc will be a shot that can’t be defended against and will roll all the dice shown at all ranges. The article did mention something about being able to fire from beyond long range. Question is will the shot be a one and done or an exhaustible card that gets reused?  

Since it's on the cardboard of the ship itself, I highly doubt that it will require anything related to cards. Since ships themselves can't have special rules (big mistake FFG, but you seemingly have realized that, judging from Legion and X-Wing 2.0) I guess we will get general rules for "green arcs" in the box. I guess being able to only fire that thing instead of both attacks seems to be the most likely rule. Let's not forget that they mentioned it being capable of shooting beyond long range. So it's really going to be artillery/sniper support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 6:48 AM, LennoxPoodle said:

Since it's on the cardboard of the ship itself, I highly doubt that it will require anything related to cards. Since ships themselves can't have special rules (big mistake FFG, but you seemingly have realized that, judging from Legion and X-Wing 2.0) I guess we will get general rules for "green arcs" in the box. I guess being able to only fire that thing instead of both attacks seems to be the most likely rule. Let's not forget that they mentioned it being capable of shooting beyond long range. So it's really going to be artillery/sniper support.

There must be some downside to being able to fire from an extended distance otherwise it will have a huge affect on the game. Especially with that new commander that lets you disregard the obstruction rules and add a red die instead. That’s why i’m saying the special shot must be tied to something. There’s also two cards shown in the preview article that look like the main gun so maybe it has something similar to the interdictor with the cards controlling the ability. There is a separate set of dice for the front firing arc after all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I know is that it will finally set a standard for supper weapons in Armada, allowing me to to reverse engineer a half-dozen other super weapon ships from legends! 

Anybody else notice Mel's Eclipse?

Everything I have ever wanted in Armada is almost within my grasp!

(Que Emperor Palpatine laugh track)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TooTall13 said:

There must be some downside to being able to fire from an extended distance otherwise it will have a huge affect on the game. Especially with that new commander that lets you disregard the obstruction rules and add a red die instead. That’s why i’m saying the special shot must be tied to something. There’s also two cards shown in the preview article that look like the main gun so maybe it has something similar to the interdictor with the cards controlling the ability. There is a separate set of dice for the front firing arc after all. 

I guess, that only doing that attack (or two others) per turn is a sufficient limitation, depending on point cost. Maybe very few upgrades will apply to it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LennoxPoodle said:

I guess, that only doing that attack (or two others) per turn is a sufficient limitation, depending on point cost. Maybe very few upgrades will apply to it?

Maybe, or maybe you have to be at speed 0 to fire the super gun, there was half of a card visible in the preview that looked like it mentioned something about speed 0 and yaw, hopefully ffg won’t take 9 months to release the next article and we can find out. the anticipation is killing me lol. I’m thinking park a few of these bad boys on the other side of an SSD with that new obstruction commander and then go to town lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TooTall13 said:

Maybe, or maybe you have to be at speed 0 to fire the super gun, there was half of a card visible in the preview that looked like it mentioned something about speed 0 and yaw, hopefully ffg won’t take 9 months to release the next article and we can find out. the anticipation is killing me lol. I’m thinking park a few of these bad boys on the other side of an SSD with that new obstruction commander and then go to town lol. 

Well, being that they’re scheduled for Q4 I think it’s safe to hope we have at least Info by Christmas 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TooTall13 said:

Maybe, or maybe you have to be at speed 0 to fire the super gun, there was half of a card visible in the preview that looked like it mentioned something about speed 0 and yaw, hopefully ffg won’t take 9 months to release the next article and we can find out. the anticipation is killing me lol. I’m thinking park a few of these bad boys on the other side of an SSD with that new obstruction commander and then go to town lol. 

Also my guess that the Kyber-Gun can only fire at speed 0. Would make sense to aim properly and to shoot beyond long range...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Well, being that they’re scheduled for Q4 I think it’s safe to hope we have at least Info by Christmas 😁

lol I hope so too but let’s not forget what happened with the Profundity/Chimera release...FFG has had some issues with the past few Armada releases which is frustrating to all of us loving fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, M0N0LITH said:

Also my guess that the Kyber-Gun can only fire at speed 0. Would make sense to aim properly and to shoot beyond long range...

Yeah I agree, I really hope we can see the full power of that weapon on the tabletop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TooTall13 said:

lol I hope so too but let’s not forget what happened with the Profundity/Chimera release...FFG has had some issues with the past few Armada releases which is frustrating to all of us loving fans. 

Loving, apparently...

 

But absolutely screamingly Unforgiving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 2:38 PM, Grathew said:

The ISD isn't that much of a specialist. It can be a carrier, kill in long range engagements, kill in close range engagements sure the different flavors are all tuned for different things but they are all fairly well rounded. 

It's not a generalist. It's meant to pacify a star system, nothing more, and anything less is super inefficient 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ExplosiveTooka said:

It's not a generalist. It's meant to pacify a star system, nothing more, and anything less is super inefficient 

One could argue that the sub-things that go into the overall broad topic of "Star System Pacification" are what makes it fairly generalist, being that it needs to have a balance between individual threat, carrier capability, self reliance and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

One could argue that the sub-things that go into the overall broad topic of "Star System Pacification" are what makes it fairly generalist, being that it needs to have a balance between individual threat, carrier capability, self reliance and such.

They're specialized for garrison, not fleet actions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ExplosiveTooka said:

They're specialized for garrison, not fleet actions

Thrawn would somewhat disagree with you in that regards...

"Large capital ships with attendant squadrons are the best mix for both pacification and open warfare."

\

But keeping it "real", what's the basis on your philosophy with that?

Edited by Drasnighta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

Thrawn would somewhat disagree with you in that regards...

"Large capital ships with attendant squadrons are the best mix for both pacification and open warfare."

\

But keeping it "real", what's the basis on your philosophy with that?

Extra troops, land vehicles, mobile garrisons, etc, are not useful in fleet combat, and mean that you're losing a lot of firepower/shields/speed as opposed to a ship that doesnt try to be both a ship and a ground garrison. 

They are more expensive than, and lose to, converted merchant ships. They arent a jack of all trades, they specialize in shock doctrine against a teeny-tiny enemy force.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ExplosiveTooka said:

Extra troops, land vehicles, mobile garrisons, etc, are not useful in fleet combat, and mean that you're losing a lot of firepower/shields/speed as opposed to a ship that doesnt try to be both a ship and a ground garrison. 

They are more expensive than, and lose to, converted merchant ships. They arent a jack of all trades, they specialize in shock doctrine against a teeny-tiny enemy force.

Maybe that is were the Tector comes in? It could be a Star Destroyer completely outfitted for battle to beef up the power of ISD squadrons when deployed as such (and just being mothballed if the squadron/fleet is deployed in task forces all around the sector).

21 hours ago, M0N0LITH said:

Also my guess that the Kyber-Gun can only fire at speed 0. Would make sense to aim properly and to shoot beyond long range...

It could also (additionally?) require a focus fire order being spent. That even seems likely and to be an alternative to the whole card exhausting thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, LennoxPoodle said:

Maybe that is were the Tector comes in? It could be a Star Destroyer completely outfitted for battle to beef up the power of ISD squadrons when deployed as such (and just being mothballed if the squadron/fleet is deployed in task forces all around the sector).

It could also (additionally?) require a focus fire order being spent. That even seems likely and to be an alternative to the whole card exhausting thing.

Having to spend a ConFire isn’t much of a burden. Between Thrawn and Piett the empire has two viable options to allow the Onager to shoot and then get moving or to flub the command timing and still fire the gun.

 

I love the speed 0 idea. I just don’t think adding a CF command to the burden of triggering it means all that much

Edited by Church14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...