BrotherFett

Scum Hotshots and Aces

15 minutes ago, Mace Windu said:

remembering all the ship tiles are needed as well as the pilot cards

As a counterpoint, there's no need for tokens, dials, ship ID markers, plastic bases, or upgrade cards in these packs. That's a lot of space saved over what had to be crammed into the conversion kits.

21 minutes ago, DR4CO said:

As a counterpoint, there's no need for tokens, dials, ship ID markers, plastic bases, or upgrade cards in these packs. That's a lot of space saved over what had to be crammed into the conversion kits.

true, however it should also be noted that even 25-30 new pilots, particularly all unique ones at that, require a lot of time in development and testing. that's more unique pilot abilities than a whole wave of ships normally.

Not that I don't want as many new pilots as possible, more pilots equals more variety, but i just don't think people should be expecting 15+ new pilots per faction, more like maybe 1 or possibly 2 new pilots per ship in faction or 2-4 pilots for a small selection of each factions ships.

7 minutes ago, Mace Windu said:

true, however it should also be noted that even 25-30 new pilots, particularly all unique ones at that, require a lot of time in development and testing. that's more unique pilot abilities than a whole wave of ships normally.

Not that I don't want as many new pilots as possible, more pilots equals more variety, but i just don't think people should be expecting 15+ new pilots per faction, more like maybe 1 or possibly 2 new pilots per ship in faction or 2-4 pilots for a small selection of each factions ships.

On the other hand, they only need to test the new pilot abilities. The stats and slots of the ships themselves are already established. This pack doesn't include crew or other upgrades, either.

To get an idea of how many cards they might reasonably include, we can take a look at the upgrade pack for Legion: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-legion/products/upgrade-card-pack/

$9.95 MSRP, and it includes 60 cards. Now, none of those are new cards. But it's also half the price of the pilot pack. I could see there being something on the order of 50 pilots (or 10 per faction) for this release, given what they're doing in Legion, the need to include cardboard, and the price point for X-Wing.

6 minutes ago, Freeptop said:

On the other hand, they only need to test the new pilot abilities. The stats and slots of the ships themselves are already established. This pack doesn't include crew or other upgrades, either.

Also, there's already an established baseline for all of these pilots. FFG don't need to figure out what the chassis is worth, how much it should pay for initiative, then figure out what each pilot ability is worth. Instead they can just skip straight to the last one. At least, in theory.

12 minutes ago, Freeptop said:

To get an idea of how many cards they might reasonably include, we can take a look at the upgrade pack for Legion: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-legion/products/upgrade-card-pack/

$9.95 MSRP, and it includes 60 cards. Now, none of those are new cards. But it's also half the price of the pilot pack. I could see there being something on the order of 50 pilots (or 10 per faction) for this release, given what they're doing in Legion, the need to include cardboard, and the price point for X-Wing.

3 minutes ago, DR4CO said:

Also, there's already an established baseline for all of these pilots. FFG don't need to figure out what the chassis is worth, how much it should pay for initiative, then figure out what each pilot ability is worth. Instead they can just skip straight to the last one. At least, in theory.

well I can only hope you are both right, though would it have been so hard for them to give away that one piece of info in the product reveal? I guess it might not even be designed yet and how many new pilots might not be known I suppose. Honestly ill be over the moon if there are 50+ new pilots in these packs though.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

They’ll probably come in pairs because of how bases work, but I guess they could just be the same on both sides. 

This is how they were in the card packs included with the conversion kits. I personally think it would be cool if there were double-sided tokens with one unique pilot in two different ships like Hera (A/B) and Skerris (Interceptor/Defender). Kind of a stretch though, I guess. I hope they don't put different unique names on opposite sides of a token because it precludes you from ever using those two pilots together. They wouldn't be that sloppy, would they?

I would add that we're also almost certainly not getting more than a dozen or so pilots per faction, and probably more for the factions with more ships. It looks about half the size of the Resistance/FO conversion kits, and while it's true that it won't need copious amounts of generic upgrades, the major spatial constraint is the bases, and there were only 50-60 pilot cards in that. 60 across 5 factions gives 12 each, and the box is smaller, so that's probably a fairly reasonable ballpark estimate. Maybe 15ish for OT factions and 10ish for ST factions?

Hoping against hope for some new upgrades like titles, configs, and... Imp probe droids?

Edited by ClassicalMoser

51 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

This is how they were in the card packs included with the conversion kits. I personally think it would be cool if there were double-sided tokens with one unique pilot in two different ships like Hera (A/B) and Skerris (Interceptor/Defender). Kind of a stretch though, I guess. I hope they don't put different unique names on opposite sides of a token because it precludes you from ever using those two pilots together. They wouldn't be that sloppy, would they?

I would add that we're also almost certainly not getting more than a dozen or so pilots per faction, and probably more for the factions with more ships. It looks about half the size of the Resistance/FO conversion kits, and while it's true that it won't need copious amounts of generic upgrades, the major spatial constraint is the bases, and there were only 50-60 pilot cards in that. 60 across 5 factions gives 12 each, and the box is smaller, so that's probably a fairly reasonable ballpark estimate. Maybe 15ish for OT factions and 10ish for ST factions?

Hoping against hope for some new upgrades like titles, configs, and... Imp probe droids?

I hate to say it, but based on some previous track records I expect unique pilots on opposite sides of base tokens requiring two packs. If it means new and useful pilots for A’s, Tie Interceptors and such it’s small price to pay though. 

13 minutes ago, Vykk Draygo said:

I hate to say it, but based on some previous track records I expect unique pilots on opposite sides of base tokens requiring two packs. If it means new and useful pilots for A’s, Tie Interceptors and such it’s small price to pay though. 

Unique pilots on opposite sides of the same base means they only need to print half as many, which would allow more pilots in the pack (or keep it's size and cost down).

There are pros and cons whichever way you go.

4 hours ago, Mace Windu said:

however it should also be noted that even 25-30 new pilots, particularly all unique ones at that, require a lot of time in development and testing.

A number of them could have been originally developed for the conversion kits, and simply failed to make the cut to be included in the original release...

3 hours ago, mazz0 said:

I don't know if I want Jango in this pack, or whether I want him with a repaint.

Yeah, same. 

Jango in Boba's Slave 1 is just wrong, and I don't have the steady hand to do his paint scheme justice. I think there's enough Clone Wars era Firespray pilots to justify it too. Hondo and Aurra Sing would be pretty much guaranteed. Maybe just throw in Zam Wesell, even though it doesn't make much sense, and call it a day?

In terms of other new Scum pilots, they're honestly kinda limited. It's the problem of relying so heavily on ships from Galaxies - they just didn't appear many other places and there aren't that many names associated with them. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Scum also had the smallest drop off of pilots from 1e. In fact... is it literally just Thweek? I actually can't think of anyone else who didn't get converted. 

Maybe Beilert Valance in a Z-95 or something? I haven't read the new comics with him yet, but does he fly anything that vaguely resembles an existing Scum ship?

4 hours ago, mazz0 said:

I don't know if I want Jango in this pack, or whether I want him with a repaint.

Looking at the size of the card packs, I don't think there is room for big ship base cardboard, so I would bet on a Firespray repaint for seps at some point. 

6 minutes ago, Dwing said:

Looking at the size of the card packs, I don't think there is room for big ship base cardboard, so I would bet on a Firespray repaint for seps at some point. 

Firespray is medium, not big

5 hours ago, DR4CO said:

Unique pilots on opposite sides of the same base means they only need to print half as many, which would allow more pilots in the pack (or keep it's size and cost down).

There are pros and cons whichever way you go.

It could be a mix. If they make all the named YV-666 pilots playable in the Z-95 they could do Bossk / Latts and Moralo / Latts for the tokens; whereas for the Kimogila they might do two tokens with a new named pilot on one side and an untalented generic on the back, since it currently only has the PS3+talent generic.

I wouldn't be surprised if FFG just made up some pilots for some of the Scum ships with a limited selection, they've done it before. They could also put some existing pilots on different ships, like it seems like they will on the Z-95.

27 minutes ago, dsul413 said:

JM5K, M3a, and Z-95 are the chassis for scum, looks like one pilot each.

Also it looks like Bossk is the pilot for the Z-95! Can't tell if it's a different pilot ability or not.