Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

And here is the Starhawk

19 hours ago, Norell said:

I think I'll skip both. Nothing that may remind me of the perversion Disney turned Star Wars into.

Although I dislike more than I like in the new movies, my biggest disappointment is the completed lack of new iconic ships.  I’d be way more excited about the Starhawk/Onager if it had featured in the new trilogy repeatedly as a reoccurring sight and you actually got to see it fighting/flying in a few set pieces.  The prequels have the same problem.  Nothing was carried over from one movie to the next, not hero/villian ships OR background set piece ships.  Except maybe there was one 5 second shot of a Droid control ship in Episode 2?

1 hour ago, Kani Kantai said:

Although I dislike more than I like in the new movies, my biggest disappointment is the completed lack of new iconic ships.  I’d be way more excited about the Starhawk/Onager if it had featured in the new trilogy repeatedly as a reoccurring sight and you actually got to see it fighting/flying in a few set pieces.  The prequels have the same problem.  Nothing was carried over from one movie to the next, not hero/villian ships OR background set piece ships.  Except maybe there was one 5 second shot of a Droid control ship in Episode 2?

Droid control ships WERE carried over, as well as vulture droids and ground units. But if you think about it, the prequels span 13 years, the OT 3 years, and the Disney trilogy is... about 6 months so far?

1 hour ago, Grumbleduke said:

At the risk of getting political, at what point does a terrorist organisation intent on overthrowing the government become a new, legitimate government?

Well, it’s a bit more complicated than that - the Rebellion wasn’t started by terrorists, it was started by existing members of one branch of the government attempting to counter another branch of the same government.  It was very much a civil war, not simply a fringe-radical insurgency.

6 hours ago, Kani Kantai said:

Well, it’s a bit more complicated than that - the Rebellion wasn’t started by terrorists, it was started by existing members of one branch of the government attempting to counter another branch of the same government.  It was very much a civil war, not simply a fringe-radical insurgency.

It exhibits characteristics of both.  The Rebellion didn’t hold territory, and was a small minority forced into guerrilla tactics.  There are so many senators and other figures of government that even the notion of a civil war gets watered down a bit, even though the Alliance mission statement certainly fits the description.

The generally held consensus among political scientists is that terrorists use terror tactics and strategy to achieve their political goals through terror and fear. The Rebel Alliance could probably be fairly said to be using political violence, that is violence to achieve political goals. In my view, the legitimacy of political violence is generally a question of moral relativity. 

Back to the Starhawk. It is definitely designed to be a battleship and not a command ship, as Admiral Ackbar choose to continue to use Home One as his flagship. I would be surprised if it came with any defensive retrofits or fleet command slots. 

I like it, it's got a good kit bashed from imp ships feel to it.  Yeah it doesn't look super starwarsy. But I think that's mostly from triangle and fish syndrome dominating the movies. I like that it feels like a brawler, which is what it's supposed to be. 

Also can we all be Happy that they let the ffg desing team off the leash, and let them do some desing work. Because it looks good.

15 minutes ago, Noosh said:

Also can we all be Happy that they let the ffg desing team off the leash, and let them do some desing work. Because it looks good.

Leland Chee of Lucasfilm has confirmed on Twitter that the Starhawk was made using a pre-existing Lucasfilm design and that FFG is the first to depict it in media. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/HolocronKeeper/status/1156965451231973377

If by, "doesnt look star warsy" you mean, a grey triangle with 8 visible guns on it that are laid out so realisticly only two guns could fire out the front, or a brown fishman civilian exploration vessel/cruise liners repurposed into a military vessels...

I think its a great different shape than the standard. Its different enough from the Imperial Ships to be its own thing, its different enough from existing rebel ships that I want to actually fly it. I dont like the brown, bulby, pickles... but that may be because I have had to stare at them multiple times... they are the only series of ships the rebels have gotten because they look iconic, but they are thus bland to me.

I like new shapes in my motley rebel fleets.

8 hours ago, Ling27 said:

If by, "doesnt look star warsy" you mean, a grey triangle with 8 visible guns on it that are laid out so realisticly only two guns could fire out the front, or a brown fishman civilian exploration vessel/cruise liners repurposed into a military vessels...

I think its a great different shape than the standard. Its different enough from the Imperial Ships to be its own thing, its different enough from existing rebel ships that I want to actually fly it. I dont like the brown, bulby, pickles... but that may be because I have had to stare at them multiple times... they are the only series of ships the rebels have gotten because they look iconic, but they are thus bland to me.

I like new shapes in my motley rebel fleets.

Fight hull-shaming!

Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2019 at 10:09 AM, ISD Avenger said:

It’s a shame that FFG can’t/won’t mine then old EU for designs. There were some genuinely interesting ones to choose from.

I plan on getting the now Legends Nebula Star Destroyer from Mel's to count at the Starhawk.  I liked most of the EU stuff so much better.

Edited by Salted Diamond

On 8/3/2019 at 12:10 AM, Mon Cala Blue said:

Leland Chee of Lucasfilm has confirmed on Twitter that the Starhawk was made using a pre-existing Lucasfilm design and that FFG is the first to depict it in media. 

So if this is a Lucasfilm design rather than a FFG design doesn't that mean that we should be expecting to see these on the big screen in the not too distant future?

On 8/2/2019 at 3:21 PM, Mon Cala Blue said:

The generally held consensus among political scientists is that terrorists use terror tactics and strategy to achieve their political goals through terror and fear. The Rebel Alliance could probably be fairly said to be using political violence, that is violence to achieve political goals. In my view, the legitimacy of political violence is generally a question of moral relativity. 

Back to the Starhawk. It is definitely designed to be a battleship and not a command ship, as Admiral Ackbar choose to continue to use Home One as his flagship. I would be surprised if it came with any defensive retrofits or fleet command slots. 

In fact some would say that the US military is the largest terror organization in the world. 

It doesn’t look very “Star Warsy” to me, either. Even less than the Assault Frigate. I can’t out my finger on why, though. It DOES sort of look like a giant Nebula made out of Star Destroyer leftovers.

44 minutes ago, Kani Kantai said:

Your keen insight and bold rhetoric is truly a benefit to this fantasy toy spaceship combat community.

This was an obvious reference to the empire, remember that a new hope was a vietnam metaphor. It was a quip, stop being so serious.

54 minutes ago, ExplosiveTooka said:

This was an obvious reference to the empire, remember that a new hope was a vietnam metaphor. It was a quip, stop being so serious.

Is it too cliche to quote Luke from TLJ?

Posted (edited)

This ship is clearly a brawler. Big, hits hard, takes a punch, and throws it right back. Feels like a beefier MC75 that can go fully toe-to-toe with the Empire. And not those local bulk cruisers, I’m talking about the big Corellian ships. 

I am curious if they are going to go with the standard “assault” and “command” variants. I hope they do something more unique like the Cymoon and Kuat refits. I’d just rather this have different styles of capital ship killer. 

Edited by SQUIDwarrior

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kani Kantai said:

Is it too cliche to quote Luke from TLJ?

Depends on how cliche you want to be, and how much you agree with death of the author when analyzing media. Like it or not Lucas had some strong anti imperialist views. 

He explicitly says that a new hope was supposed to be the third in a trilogy of anti vietnam movies, and said the Ewoks were supposed to represent the vietcong. 

Edited by ExplosiveTooka

2 minutes ago, SQUIDwarrior said:

This ship is clearly a brawler. Big, hits hard, takes a punch, and throws it right back. Feels like a beefier MC75 that can go fully toe-to-toe with the Empire. And not those local bulk cruisers, I’m talking about the big Corellian ships. 

I am curious if they are going to go with the standard “assault” and “command” variants. I hope they do something more unique like the Cymoon and Kuat refits. I’d just rather this different styles of capital ship killer. 

If it has a defensive retrofit. Or just takes agate lol

On 8/11/2019 at 10:27 AM, Salted Diamond said:

I plan on getting the now Legends Nebula Star Destroyer from Mel's to count at the Starhawk.  I liked most of the EU stuff so much better.

I'm planning to replace the model with the Legends Mon Remonda myself, although the arcs might be a bit weird for that. And I'm really hoping it has a fleet command so I can use something other than the Pelta for AFFM (gotta have my B-wings).

Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2019 at 5:55 AM, Grumbleduke said:

In new-canon the Rebels are officially something like "the Alliance to Restore the Republic", so perhaps if the faction was called "Alliance" rather than "Rebels" that would work better? Either way, it is pretty clear that the pre-Endor Alliance and the post-Endor (but pre-Jakku) Republic are the same thing.

Maybe if this was a post-Jakku thing it might be more of an issue.

"The Alliance to Restore the Republic" was the official name of the Rebel Alliance in Legends, too (which, of course, was the canon when Armada was created). Given that Garm Bel Iblis is primarily known in Legends for his service with the New Republic starting five years after the Battle of Endor, I think it's safe to say that Armada has been conflating the Rebel fleet with the New Republic fleet pretty much from the beginning of the game. And from an organizational standpoint, the former is directly transformed into the latter when the New Republic is created, so they really are the same thing, just at different points in time.

Edited by Aldaros
Corrected date.

3 hours ago, Aldaros said:

I'm planning to replace the model with the Legends Mon Remonda myself, although the arcs might be a bit weird for that. And I'm really hoping it has a fleet command so I can use something other than the Pelta for AFFM (gotta have my B-wings).

I had considered using the MC80B (Mon Remonda), but I decided I wanted a non Mon Cal design.  Both fit equally well though.

23 hours ago, Admael said:

I like the design. It kinda reminds me of the Earth Alliance destroyers from Babylon 5.

I was thinking that as well.  Like exactly like the Earth Alliance Nova class dreadnought, sans the giant plasma batteries along the hull.