D.Erasmus

In Flight Report Reactions

18 minutes ago, eliteone said:

Tariffs.

But I think the Starhawk might come with a slew of Rebel upgrade cards, or maybe U-Wings.

I’m sure they would have shown the U wings if they were going to release them

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Alzer said:

I'm realy excited with how the Onager looks. That mega-railgun feel is super cool. 

StarHawk is a Chunk. Eeally fascinating elements, I had not envisioned it being so front heavy while reading the Aftermath books.

I expected front heavy, but that's a whole new level. "Beautifully brutal" is the best phrase I've heard to describe it. Every time I look at it, I have a new found appreciation for the detail. They did a great job mixing in ISD elements, from which the Starhawk is salvaged, and keeping a rebel-ness to the whole thing. I absolutely love it. I feel like I could pick the model up and use it as a physical weapon.

Edited by Truthiness

4 minutes ago, LordCola said:

In the Q&A someone asked for an App for Legion and the answer was that maintaining that X-wing App is very expensive so they won't make an App for Legion. So if Legion is not getting an App Armada is definitely not getting one.

Thank goodness, the force, or whoever...

4 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

You're assuming a very high degree of knowledge and cultural similarity.  It's debatable whether humans make up the majority of sentients in the galaxy.  Then we have societal differences, or how you might feel if that triangle was the last thing you saw before you were enslaved/your family killed, or whether you speak basic, or whether you know anything about the New Republic to begin with.  The galaxy is a big place.  If the New Republic walks around in Stormtrooper armor, or commandeered AT-ATs (which, by the same logic, are definite military improvements to crappy blue jackets and your own two feet,) these are symbols that have had a lot more time to become understood than they have, and that transcend language, culture and species.

Perhaps more importantly, you're sending a clear message to people who do know the story: "We realize these are terror and occupation weapons specifically designed to spread fear, pain and suffering among innocents... but we prioritize a cost-effective war machine, for the wars we definitely don't plan on fighting."

Bad PR.

"We've overthrown your oppressors and turned their weapons against them and against anyone else who tries to do the same thing (I'm looking at you Mr Hux), as a reminder to them that their evil plans will fail as Palpatine's did"

Good PR.

The PR position is obviously debatable and would probably be very hard to prove in universe.  Given that the economy is probably in an extremely poor state practical considerations should win out - don't waste money rebuilding ships when you could be spending it rebuilding planets.

I saw it somewhere that someone asked about the price during the Q&A and the reason given was the size of the models. 

If it’s that or tariffs, it doesn’t really matter. We all know this game isn’t getting any cheaper.

10 hours ago, CMDR Kastor said:

Disagree. The Dreadnought and it's assault frigate variant both look like they belong in battle star galactica rather than Star Wars. They have the ship design which couldn't be more generic sci-fi if they tried and lack the star wars flair. Meanwhile both of these new ships carry a bunch of non standard ship shapes and plenty of complex detail that I expect of star wars.

Like, I don't mind the Dreadnought, nothing wrong with the generic sci-fi look. But to advocate them while telling me these two new beauties don't look Star Wars enough in the same paragraph highly ironic.

Hmmm... you will notice I said at the end “ These ships don’t even look all that Star Wars to me.” “To me” being the key part, but whatever.

1 hour ago, TheWampa said:

Thank goodness, the force, or whoever...

I dunno. Kinda feels like they consider the App integral to x-wing's point rebalancing. I don't like the idea of them taking point balancing of the table.

Love them both! The Starhawk looks like a Rebel ISD Hunter, and an appropriate counter to the SSD. The OSD is exactly the type of experimental Imperial tech I would love to see more of. It shows off that the Interdictor and the Death Star were not the only secret projects the Empire developed!

I also find it extremely appropriate that we are getting ships from the final days of the GCW, before they start releasing TCW!

Way to go FFG! 

How soon can I pre-order?

22 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

Love them both! The Starhawk looks like a Rebel ISD Hunter, and an appropriate counter to the SSD. The OSD is exactly the type of experimental Imperial tech I would love to see more of. It shows off that the Interdictor and the Death Star were not the only secret projects the Empire developed!

I also find it extremely appropriate that we are getting ships from the final days of the GCW, before they start releasing TCW!

Way to go FFG! 

How soon can I pre-order?

MINUTES AFTER I SAY THIS

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/8/1/a-new-age-of-battle/

Not what I was expecting to be announced, but exciting none the less. I wonder if the Starhawk is going to be more expensive than our current ISDs. It would be an interesting shift to have the Rebels with the most powerful Large ship. I'm also curious if the Onagers special weapon can attack at extra long range. It would make sense if it's a siege ship. Shouldn't be too broken as that arc should be fairly avoidable. Also exciting to see the potential for new experimental retrofit ships and upgrades. 

A nice silver lining for those who were hoping for something else like the dreadnought or Brohatok, those ships are still likely to come to the game before too long, seeing as they're some of the few remaining Canon OT ships 

2 hours ago, Norell said:

This may be the first wave I deliberately skip. One more huge cannon ship and a Disneyverse monstrosity? I don't think so...

This is actually the first huge cannon ship, i'm not sure what you're referring to.

3 hours ago, mazz0 said:

"We've overthrown your oppressors and turned their weapons against them and against anyone else who tries to do the same thing (I'm looking at you Mr Hux), as a reminder to them that their evil plans will fail as Palpatine's did"

Good PR.

The PR position is obviously debatable and would probably be very hard to prove in universe.  Given that the economy is probably in an extremely poor state practical considerations should win out - don't waste money rebuilding ships when you could be spending it rebuilding planets.

I feel you only saw the last two words of the post.  Because there’s the logical, informed reaction — which only some subset of the galaxy will understand to begin with — and there’s the visceral reaction, which, in humans, is often much stronger.  And the fact that visceral reaction exists changes the logical one.  Don’t tell your WW2 grandpa that the bocage is good now because he liberated it.  It will never be good to him.

9 hours ago, mazz0 said:

They've overthrown the empire and nicked their ships.  I think that's pretty *good* PR.  I personally would not think less of my liberators for using the ships they've seized from my oppressors, and I don't think many people would.

4 hours ago, mazz0 said:

Good PR.

The problem with your idea is this: You're on a planet that just threw off the yoke of an oppressive regime. Suddenly large war machines of that same regime show up in your skies. I doubt the first reaction is going to be to greet the people in them as liberators. Even once they identified themselves, you're going to wonder if they're just the same thing with a different name.

The New Republic would not have started producing new Star Destroyer variants. They'd want their new ships to be recognizable as liberators. Not be associated with the oppressors. Captured vessels are going to be more useful for intelligence purposes than warfighting, as well.

It's not like the United States started using Japanese naval ships they captured during WWII in its own Navy. They used them as targets for weapons tests, while building new ships for their own use.

29 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

I feel you only saw the last two words of the post.  Because there’s the logical, informed reaction — which only some subset of the galaxy will understand to begin with — and there’s the visceral reaction, which, in humans, is often much stronger.  And the fact that visceral reaction exists changes the logical one.  Don’t tell your WW2 grandpa that the bocage is good now because he liberated it.  It will never be good to him.

No, I'm just disagreeing with you.  Seeing formerly enemy ships now in your colours can invoke a visceral reaction too.  I'm not sure how important any of that is though - how often are ordinary people causally going to see these ships?

1 minute ago, Freeptop said:

The problem with your idea is this: You're on a planet that just threw off the yoke of an oppressive regime. Suddenly large war machines of that same regime show up in your skies. I doubt the first reaction is going to be to greet the people in them as liberators. Even once they identified themselves, you're going to wonder if they're just the same thing with a different name.

The New Republic would not have started producing new Star Destroyer variants. They'd want their new ships to be recognizable as liberators. Not be associated with the oppressors. Captured vessels are going to be more useful for intelligence purposes than warfighting, as well.

It's not like the United States started using Japanese naval ships they captured during WWII in its own Navy. They used them as targets for weapons tests, while building new ships for their own use.

I think you're picturing an unrealistic situation.  Why are they showing up in my skies?  This isn't the empire, the Republic doesn't need to park ships in super visible places to constantly remind people of their power.  Also, they have galaxy-wide communications and news networks.  Not even the ruler of the most remote system is going to be ignorant of the situation and of who you are.  The first thing they see of you is going to be information from the network, followed by long distance communications long before you're in visual range, so nobody's going to be forming their opinions of the new republic based on what ships they fly.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, mazz0 said:

Why are they showing up in my skies?  This isn't the empire, the Republic doesn't need to park ships in super visible places to constantly remind people of their power.

Actually I think they need to do that even more than the empire did. One problem after Endor was that the New Republic did not have enough forces to secure worlds they "liberated" from the Empire. The result was a power vacuum on many, many world that was mostly filled by pirates and gangsters. (Many world were worse of after their "liberation" than before) So the New Republic has a lot of patroling over civilian world to do.

Edited by LordCola