D.Erasmus

In Flight Report Reactions

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Alzer said:

StarHawk is a Chunk. Eeally fascinating elements, I had not envisioned it being so front heavy while reading the Aftermath books.

Definitely, and the paint job is... different.  Still trying to decide whether to repaint it in AFmk2 colors or Tau orange and white.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

3 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

You know, we, the members of the Public, may often be down on just how Popular Armada is compared to other games.

But you know...  Here's what I feel is a little bit of proof that Disney and Lucasfilm appreciate what FFG goes with Armada.

They Let Them Design the LOOK of the StarHawk, which had never before been depicted in an Image.  It had only ever been described.

How do you know this?  Was this said during the stream? 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

How do you know this?  Was this said during the stream? 

I am absolutely 100% assuming this, by deduction of the fact that you *can't* find any information of it.

Xandef already called me out on it, after all, and I amended to "Even if they didn't, they're still the firs tto SHOW it, and that's just as big of a deal with the Public."

Edited by Drasnighta

1 minute ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Oh, you didn't make clear in your giant all-caps claim that this was merely an assumption or personal opinion...

Made me think you were spilling beans on insider knowledge. 

No, I went back and editied it now.

And all-Caps?  Never.  Perhaps over-capitalised, but come on....  At least rag on me for the things I actually do :D

5 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

The Onager Star Destroyer seems to be the FOrmal Name of the "Seige Breaker" Ship fro mthe Rebel Files, according to Wiki

Cool, except I don't understand what that means. What is Rebel Files?

3 minutes ago, Jimbo2142 said:

Both ships are ugly in my oppinion... First Armada Wave Im a bit dissatisfied with 😑

Yeah, I don't like the looks that much myself but they could easily be way worse. Overall I'm kinda indifferent to how they look. I think they will add some cool stuff to gameplay though. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

Xandef already called me out on it, after all, and I amended to "Even if they didn't, they're still the firs tto SHOW it, and that's just as big of a deal with the Public."

It's definitely getting the game an awful lot of exposure because of this in the broader Star Wars community, whether FFG designed it or not, which is essentially a net equivalent effect.  For both ships, in fact:

clGWfST.jpg

Edited by Ardaedhel

I would put money on the Star Hawk being in Resistance and FFG being shown the design.  It's got the cartoony vibrant colours and blocky paint job and Resistance's chunky aesthetic, plus there's FFG not boasting about designing it.

So how do we think the big gun works on the Onager?  You can double it up with the front arc, or perhaps it hits every ship in arc?

I don't really get this "scrapping Star Destroyers to not scare people" idea.  They have mass media, people will know what's going on.  The public aren't just going to be looking into the sky through their telescopes and panicking when they see triangles.  Seems like an utterly absurd waste of resources to me.

6 minutes ago, mazz0 said:

I don't really get this "scrapping Star Destroyers to not scare people" idea.  They have mass media, people will know what's going on.  The public aren't just going to be looking into the sky through their telescopes and panicking when they see triangles.  Seems like an utterly absurd waste of resources to me.

Yeah, I like the New Republic using (and continuing to make) ISD's in legends better. Why scrap perfectly good ships. Plus later on they even improved on the design (I liked the extra long range turbolasers).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mazz0 said:

I would imagine it's not about confusion.  Overthrowing the Empire and then using the exact same ships that destroyed inhabited cities and were a symbol of terror is pretty bad PR.

Plus, it bankrolls the ever-hungry and newly idle military industrial complex.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

5 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

I would imagine it's not about confusion.  Overthrowing the Empire and then using the exact same ships that destroyed inhabited cities and were a symbol of terror is pretty bad PR.

This. Plus ISDs were predominantly designed to be good at things that the New Republic was largely uninterested in (terror, orbital bombardment, wholesale destruction, etc.). The whole design was intended to be intimidating and compel immediate and total subjugation. Meanwhile the overpowered tractor array is a very clear sign of non-lethality at least in theory and battlefield psychology.

For my part, I was quite surprised with the look of it; I expected something more angular or flashy. Then I realized that that's why I play imperials. This really is a fantastic design for the Rebellion, like an evolved Nebulon-B (which spent more time in Rebel than Imperial use). TBH I really want to fly a bunch of these and generic Nebs in a swarm, and suddenly the new RitR upgrade makes so much sense...

57 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

They've overthrown the empire and nicked their ships.  I think that's pretty *good* PR.  I personally would not think less of my liberators for using the ships they've seized from my oppressors, and I don't think many people would.

46 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

This. Plus ISDs were predominantly designed to be good at things that the New Republic was largely uninterested in (terror, orbital bombardment, wholesale destruction, etc.). The whole design was intended to be intimidating and compel immediate and total subjugation. Meanwhile the overpowered tractor array is a very clear sign of non-lethality at least in theory and battlefield psychology.

Yeah maybe.  Kinda feels like there'd be a cheaper, more lightweight method of refit that would have done the job more efficiently though.

4 minutes ago, mazz0 said:

They've overthrown the empire and nicked their ships.  I think that's pretty *good* PR.  I personally would not think less of my liberators for using the ships they've seized from my oppressors, and I don't think many people would.

You're assuming a very high degree of knowledge and cultural similarity.  It's debatable whether humans make up the majority of sentients in the galaxy.  Then we have societal differences, or how you might feel if that triangle was the last thing you saw before you were enslaved/your family killed, or whether you speak basic, or whether you know anything about the New Republic to begin with.  The galaxy is a big place.  If the New Republic walks around in Stormtrooper armor, or commandeered AT-ATs (which, by the same logic, are definite military improvements to crappy blue jackets and your own two feet,) these are symbols that have had a lot more time to become understood than they have, and that transcend language, culture and species.

Perhaps more importantly, you're sending a clear message to people who do know the story: "We realize these are terror and occupation weapons specifically designed to spread fear, pain and suffering among innocents... but we prioritize a cost-effective war machine, for the wars we definitely don't plan on fighting."

Bad PR.

First I'm very happy with all the new stuff coming for armada, and eagerly awaiting clone wars !

the onager looks good and the "death star laser " will probably be a cool addition to the game mechanic.

the starhawk's...

first thing that pop in my head is why its is so bulky !  That thing will bump in all other ship regardless of size. I also dont  really like the overall look, the one made by mels (inspired by njbulters drawing) look way better in my opinion !

I will get my hand on both of them for sure, but Im already thinking about a starhawk custom design.

3 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

For my part, I was quite surprised with the look of it; I expected something more angular or flashy. Then I realized that that's why I play imperials. This really is a fantastic design for the Rebellion, like an evolved Nebulon-B (which spent more time in Rebel than Imperial use). TBH I really want to fly a bunch of these and generic Nebs in a swarm, and suddenly the new RitR upgrade makes so much sense...

Way ahead of you, tried out a Nebulon phalanx last week, dtts are your friend. Ended the game in the forth round with their combined weight of fire. For a good list you'll want a few mix ups though. Hopefully the starhawk has a bit more side durability so you can flank with that while the nebs hold back.

3 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

the huge cost of these is a big turn-down. rumor is 80 for Starhawk and 60 for onager. thats... getting pretty expensive. 

The SSD is iconic. For a one time purchase of a nutty size model, sure. But, these are very expensive expansions. 

Tariffs.

But I think the Starhawk might come with a slew of Rebel upgrade cards, or maybe U-Wings.